Gus Malzahn to Arkansas State!???

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Gus Malzahn to Arkansas State!???

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

For some reason Gus Malzahn is taking a 400,000 dollar pay cut to go to ARK St to be the head coach.

He had offers for the same position from Vandy & Maryland last year.
The Vandy job was for over 3 million a year!!!

Instead he went back to Auburn, only to have his offense go down fast in light of the Newton absence.

Now he wants out, but nobody is giving him a look, so he must take a major pay cut to get a chance!

I think there's more to it!!!

fightingtigers45
S

Re: Gus Malzahn to Arkansas State!???

Post by fightingtigers45 »

Remember....their DC just left for the same position at UCF...

Malzahn will be a Tennessee Vol after next season.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

There is talk that they will land Stopps as the new DC.

fightingtigers45
S

seofan_via_dublin wrote:There is talk that they will land Stopps as the new DC.
I heard that last night also. Going from one circus to another.

Malzahn just wanted to be a head coach and took what was available. Should have done so last year.

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

Malzhan was a very successful high school coach in Springdale, Arkansas several years ago. Springdale is on the northwest side of the state from ASU. If memory serves me, he left Springdale and came to the University of Arkansas as the OC. Malzhan and the former coach, Houston Nutt, did not see eye to eye on their offensive philosophy so left. Malzhan spent one season as the OC at Tulsa before moving on to the same position at auburn. IMO, leaving a big D I school for a smaller D I school is not the best move in the world but considering it is back in his home state I understand the move. The bottom line is that is does not always have to be about money. College coach's are paid very well and he was making outstanding money at auburn so, it could be about moving closer to home or being happy. At least at Arkansas State, if the norm holds true, football does not have high expectations. Yes, I know this year was the exception.

fightingtigers45
S

alabama mike wrote:Malzhan was a very successful high school coach in Springdale, Arkansas several years ago. Springdale is on the northwest side of the state from ASU. If memory serves me, he left Springdale and came to the University of Arkansas as the OC. Malzhan and the former coach, Houston Nutt, did not see eye to eye on their offensive philosophy so left. Malzhan spent one season as the OC at Tulsa before moving on to the same position at auburn. IMO, leaving a big D I school for a smaller D I school is not the best move in the world but considering it is back in his home state I understand the move. The bottom line is that is does not always have to be about money. College coach's are paid very well and he was making outstanding money at auburn so, it could be about moving closer to home or being happy. At least at Arkansas State, if the norm holds true, football does not have high expectations. Yes, I know this year was the exception.
4 million over 5 years to go back "home" in a way...Not bad money. Also, I HIGHLY doubt he will be there longer than 2 years. I think he will be an SEC head coach next year.

WitnessProtection
All Conference

Post by WitnessProtection »

fightingtigers45 wrote:Remember....their DC just left for the same position at UCF...

Malzahn will be a Tennessee Vol after next season.

It worked for former Ark State head coach Hugh Freeze. A 10-2 season and a bowl bid got him the gig at Ole Miss.

Return to “College Sports”