THOUGHTS ON WHY YOU THINK JT WON'T BENCH PRYOR

Orestes
S

Re: THOUGHTS ON WHY YOU THINK JT WON'T BENCH PRYOR

Post by Orestes »

The infamous "Nevadabuck's" thoughts on OSU. He is a huge booster at OSU, and a huge OSU homer. The guy gives UM, Yankee, and golf info as accurately as OSU info. I have met him, know him, and he is a millionaire with connections all over the sports world. This analysis is pretty simplistic, but is frighteningly revealing.

"1) I am heartbroken right now----as I didn't see this coming

2) Our players have lost faith in our offensive "scheme" and its obvious

3) This can be fixed---but its not going to be quick----and WILL involve some new faces on the staff

4) Still much to play for---but its going to take a herculean effort by Tressel to not lose this team

5) I am so frustrated---as we are as good as anyone in the country defensively."

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Because Tressel is gutless. TP is a bust plain and simple. I don't give a darn how much of a freak athlete he is, if you can't throw the ball, you ain't a quarterback. Worst footwork and mechanics I've ever seen in an OSU quarterback. He is not even close to becoming an NFL quarterback. Give me Forcier, Daryl Clark, Stanzi any day of the week and twice on SUnday over this dud at QB. Now if he was moved to wide receiver, then disregard what I just said. Problem is JT handed him the keys to the program and is now stuck with him. Ugh...two more years of this to look forward to.*

1974Viking
Varsity

Post by 1974Viking »

art_vandelay wrote:Because Tressel is gutless. TP is a bust plain and simple. I don't give a darn how much of a freak athlete he is, if you can't throw the ball, you ain't a quarterback. Worst footwork and mechanics I've ever seen in an OSU quarterback. He is not even close to becoming an NFL quarterback. Give me Forcier, Daryl Clark, Stanzi any day of the week and twice on SUnday over this dud at QB. Now if he was moved to wide receiver, then disregard what I just said. Problem is JT handed him the keys to the program and is now stuck with him. Ugh...two more years of this to look forward to.*

art v. Please don't hold back on how you feel on this subject on Pryor. I agree with with some of what you say. After what Tressel did to Todd Boeckman(sp) benching him for Pryor last year in his last year to play, has caused me to lose a little faith in Tressel. I know he had to play Pryor as he promised him to get him to come here. Pryor has let the super star thing go to his head. He may be above the coaching staff in his mind........

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

I may be all wet, but I think TP can improve. It doesn't help that he is running for his life every play.

If Bauserman were in the game, we would be scraping him off of a windshield right now.

oldcoachb
JV Team

Post by oldcoachb »

The problems are more than just Pryor. The offensive line is a work in progress too. The scheme is terrible. There should be designed roll outs for him to use his athletic ability. If your not going to throw to Carter, why have him on the field? One pass toward the tight end is not going to get it done either. Run twice and hope you get Posey open for a first down. With losses to Iowa, Penn State, and Michigan could cost JT his job. :122248

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

It would appear that in the great Tyrell Pryor sweepstakes from 2 years ago, the big winner was Rich Rod, not Tressell.

F-4 Phantom
Varsity

Post by F-4 Phantom »

TP is not a passing QB. He looks awkward as hell throwing the ball. I cannot believe he hasn't progressed better from last year. I would be bringing in another QB and putting him elsewhere in the O-scheme. He'll NEVER be drafted, as a QB! There are several Freshman QBs who look a hell of a lot better than TP. TP is obviously an outstanding athlete but he'll never make it a QB. Hopefully, JT and the faithful will realize this or the next couple of years are going to be very difficult against the maize and blue.

whompascat
All Conference

Post by whompascat »

osu will never win the big games with pryor at q.b.
make all the excuses you want , he is not a q.b.
It can't all be the lines fault they don't throw or fumble pryor does.
osu won't win the big 10 with him at q.b.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

What I do not understand is why Tress does attack the edges with him. He does not have good chance of direction, but if he can get going and get the edge---WATCH OUT! Why are they not running QB sweeps with him more and running the option with this guy?

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

The offensive line is not very good but defenses are not to worried about the passing game. To spend up the offense is not a good idea with the line the way they are and the decision making of Pryor. To complain like this is just one game of playing bad but it is not. This Buckeye team is much like some of the Baltimore Raven teams where the defense is on the field to not only stop the other team but to score if they are going to win the game. Everytime they intercept a pass they have to look to score.

When OSU kicked the field goal late in the game if they would have brought the backup QB in and had Pryor in the backfield. They could have used him as a decoy or even just thrown the ball up for Pryor to go get. Running Pryor in motion would get the defenses attention. Do something different to shake things up.

Pryor started the season with the message on his face about Vick. Pryor has thought he was better than others and the attention has to be on him. Even all the people on tv are talking about how he is not progressing after they built him up before and the start of the season. Pryor couldn't even find his own helmet after halftime one game. How does a football player not know where his helmet is during the game? Pryor needs to sit and that worked for the Tennessee Titian's last year when they did it with Vince Young because Young was not doing anything to get better either. This is a TEAM GAME and not just play time to feed Pryor's ego.

candystore
Varsity

Post by candystore »

farmer wrote:The offensive line is not very good but defenses are not to worried about the passing game. To spend up the offense is not a good idea with the line the way they are and the decision making of Pryor. To complain like this is just one game of playing bad but it is not. This Buckeye team is much like some of the Baltimore Raven teams where the defense is on the field to not only stop the other team but to score if they are going to win the game. Everytime they intercept a pass they have to look to score.

When OSU kicked the field goal late in the game if they would have brought the backup QB in and had Pryor in the backfield. They could have used him as a decoy or even just thrown the ball up for Pryor to go get. Running Pryor in motion would get the defenses attention. Do something different to shake things up.

Pryor started the season with the message on his face about Vick. Pryor has thought he was better than others and the attention has to be on him. Even all the people on tv are talking about how he is not progressing after they built him up before and the start of the season. Pryor couldn't even find his own helmet after halftime one game. How does a football player not know where his helmet is during the game? Pryor needs to sit and that worked for the Tennessee Titian's last year when they did it with Vince Young because Young was not doing anything to get better either. This is a TEAM GAME and not just play time to feed Pryor's ego.

agree, tp either needs to wake up or sit the bench...and if he cant play no better, he should bench himself

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

Reguardless of what you think of Pryor, he is still OSU's
best option at recieving the ball from center.
Bauserman would die, not figuratively, but he would actually DIE,
if he had to line up behind that O-Line.

Pryor has superior athletic ability to 99% of all college players
regardless of position. But saying that he is dumb as a box of
rocks, would be an insult to boxes of rocks everywhere.
He lacks the mental ability to play quarterback right now.
He may be a 1st team all big ten or all-american, by his senior year,
but he doesn't have the ability to make reads and change his options
at this point.

The O-Line is the root of all evil in the OSU offense. Pryor doesn't have the
mental toughness to line up and make calls and reads, and now he doesn't
have the confidence to line up behind that O-Line and know that he'll
have time to do anything.

He is throwing from his back foot, on plays that he doesn't have to. His
internal timing system is way out of wack, because he doesn't ever have time.
He apparently is making the right reads in practice, but I seriously doubt that the
scout team D is pinning their ears back and coming every play.
It has been shown by several teams that if you come up the middle on him, and use your ends for edge containment, that he is clueless.

I think that if he wants to play in the NFL, and that is his final goal, then he should move to WR. What NFL team wouldn't want a 6'6" 240 pound WR running at 4.3.
I have to seriously doubt that he would be able to go over the middle, or run any type of route that would lead to a hard hit though. He has show a perpetual fear of direct contact.

To sum it up, I think he is playing QB for the rest of this season, and is the starter for the next 2 years. I think he has a ton of upside, and if tapped, and if he can finally get it into the space between his ears, then he will be a really good QB by his senior year. There is so much more wrong with the offense than Pryor, and if you take him out, it WILL get worse. I whole heartedly agree that the O Coordinator needs to go, and I don't think that Sciciliano is a good fit at QB coach. Those guys are YSU family though, and as the Mob says, "Don't go against the family".

I also think that my fellow Buckeye fans are a bit too spoiled, and need to be knocked down a couple noches. I think a year out of the BCS, and a bowl win against a good opponet could do wonders for this team, and the fan base.

candystore
Varsity

Post by candystore »

seofan_via_dublin wrote:Reguardless of what you think of Pryor, he is still OSU's
best option at recieving the ball from center.
Bauserman would die, not figuratively, but he would actually DIE,
if he had to line up behind that O-Line.

Pryor has superior athletic ability to 99% of all college players
regardless of position. But saying that he is dumb as a box of
rocks, would be an insult to boxes of rocks everywhere.
He lacks the mental ability to play quarterback right now.
He may be a 1st team all big ten or all-american, by his senior year,
but he doesn't have the ability to make reads and change his options
at this point.

The O-Line is the root of all evil in the OSU offense. Pryor doesn't have the
mental toughness to line up and make calls and reads, and now he doesn't
have the confidence to line up behind that O-Line and know that he'll
have time to do anything.

He is throwing from his back foot, on plays that he doesn't have to. His
internal timing system is way out of wack, because he doesn't ever have time.
He apparently is making the right reads in practice, but I seriously doubt that the
scout team D is pinning their ears back and coming every play.
It has been shown by several teams that if you come up the middle on him, and use your ends for edge containment, that he is clueless.

I think that if he wants to play in the NFL, and that is his final goal, then he should move to WR. What NFL team wouldn't want a 6'6" 240 pound WR running at 4.3.
I have to seriously doubt that he would be able to go over the middle, or run any type of route that would lead to a hard hit though. He has show a perpetual fear of direct contact.

To sum it up, I think he is playing QB for the rest of this season, and is the starter for the next 2 years. I think he has a ton of upside, and if tapped, and if he can finally get it into the space between his ears, then he will be a really good QB by his senior year. There is so much more wrong with the offense than Pryor, and if you take him out, it WILL get worse. I whole heartedly agree that the O Coordinator needs to go, and I don't think that Sciciliano is a good fit at QB coach. Those guys are YSU family though, and as the Mob says, "Don't go against the family".

I also think that my fellow Buckeye fans are a bit too spoiled, and need to be knocked down a couple noches. I think a year out of the BCS, and a bowl win against a good opponet could do wonders for this team, and the fan base.

i think it would do wonders for tress

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Even if Pryor still starts get the backup in the game some. This is D1 major college football the backup should be able to play some. If not then the coaching staff needs to look at themselves and the teaching they are doing. The same goes for the offensive line.

It is not like they are not getting talent coming into OSU it is getting them to produce and improve on the field. It is not that fans are spoiled but when you have a great defense you would expect to have some kind of offense. Or just having an improving offense. I bet one of those talented wide receivers can even throw the ball on a trick play. The play calling is the same as the beginning of the season. Pryor maybe the most talent and with the biggest upside but without production on the field he is just another player. When is he responsible for his poor play or does the coaching staff treat him like the father coaching a Pee WEE team playing their son at QB no matter what?

This week every position should be open to anyone who wants to step up and take it. Also this week is up to every coach to step up and earn the right to comeback next year. A new attitude is needed for the players and coaches.

candystore
Varsity

Post by candystore »

farmer wrote:Even if Pryor still starts get the backup in the game some. This is D1 major college football the backup should be able to play some. If not then the coaching staff needs to look at themselves and the teaching they are doing. The same goes for the offensive line.

It is not like they are not getting talent coming into OSU it is getting them to produce and improve on the field. It is not that fans are spoiled but when you have a great defense you would expect to have some kind of offense. Or just having an improving offense. I bet one of those talented wide receivers can even throw the ball on a trick play. The play calling is the same as the beginning of the season. Pryor maybe the most talent and with the biggest upside but without production on the field he is just another player. When is he responsible for his poor play or does the coaching staff treat him like the father coaching a Pee WEE team playing their son at QB no matter what?

This week every position should be open to anyone who wants to step up and take it. Also this week is up to every coach to step up and earn the right to comeback next year. A new attitude is needed for the players and coaches.

couldnt agree with you more...great post

Return to “College Sports”