Practice and Michigan

ItownHosscat
S

Re: Practice and Michigan

Post by ItownHosscat »

Maybe the NCAA should demand that Meatchicken has to keep RR for 10 years as part of their probation.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

I'm sure the excuse will be, the extra time was spent stretching, not practicing.

BUT

If you spend the non-allowed time stretching, then you can spend more actual allowed time practicing.

Also, I love how the notion of Buckeye fans taking over an issue doesn't apply here, so it's trying to be diverted into
an issue of OSU needs to clean itself too.

It's a Michigan thread about a Michigan issue. Yet, Michigan fans seem to be bringing up OSU and USC.
Nobody is comparing this to USC, but it seems to be a common thread in Peakes replies.

Hmmm

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

This is the last thing I am going to say about this because no matter what evidence I bring people who have a bias are not going to be opened minded. Listen to those who have no dog in the fight, they all laught at this.

Who cares, doesn't mean everyone else can't enjoy it and post away. :aaaaa11 :aaaaa8

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

peake wrote:This is the last thing I am going to say about this because no matter what evidence I bring people who have a bias are not going to be opened minded. Listen to those who have no dog in the fight, they all laught at this.

That street runs both ways, your closeness to Michigan both personally and through being a fan, doesn't exactly leave your mind open.

Bias is Bias, whether it's pro or con.

Where you see a thing that isn't a big deal, the other side sees yet another excuse to have a laugh at the expense of the bad guys!

And in these times of fiscal trouble and future turmoil, isn't it cruel to deny someone a simple laugh!!! :twisted: :lol:

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

If you take the new UM AD and UM President both of them did not state it was all over with. It was mentioned about really not knowing what the NCAA meant with the wording. UM has time to respond and to meet with the NCAA. To just brush it off as everyone is doing it might happen but it also might not. Maybe the NCAA will make a stand this year against schools who have infractions. The NCAA does some strange things and this year they have made some rule changes for players on the field. In this case it really doesn't matter what people think about what other schools do or do not do. It is the opinion of the NCAA that matters. So as long as it is an open case the NCAA still has time to screw it up.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

If you take the new UM AD and UM President both of them did not state it was all over with

Of course they didn't because it is not. The ruling has not been passed down obviously, hince why UM has 90 days I was saying both above supported that Rich had nothing to do with QC or Compliance issues.

So as long as it is an open case the NCAA still has time to screw it up.

Agree and we will all wait and watch together.

That street runs both ways, your closeness to Michigan both personally and through being a fan, doesn't exactly leave your mind open.

Bias is Bias, whether it's pro or con.

I would agree with you if it were not for the fact that I have stated on more then one occassion that I wanted Rich gone. I feel I am being pretty objective after collecting the facts. Bill Martin is a stooge and we all recognize that, but Rich and the football program should not be penalized because of an Athletic Department screw up. If USC can go years without anything happening to them and they are basically paying players then this is very minor imo.

They, like USC will get the slap on the wrist

I guess USC was not mentioned.

I didn't say Webb, I said Herbie, Van Pelt, Terico, and Albom.

All of which are blow hards that act as a mouth piece for whatever ESPN agenda needs pushing next.

Next thing you know, you'll be citing Cowherd!!!
I didn't say Webb, I said Herbie, Van Pelt, Terico, and Albom.

All of which are blow hards that act as a mouth piece for whatever ESPN agenda needs pushing next.

Next thing you know, you'll be citing Cowherd!!!

Of course I shouldn't. I should listen to all of my well informed and not so well connected OSU friends who know more about the Michigan program then Tirico who lives in UM and is connected at UM as is Albom (who is such an awful writer :roll: ). Next time I will rely on my friends right here on SEOP because they are much better connected then any ESPN talking head :122249

We will all wait and watch together and sure enjoy the laugh.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

[url]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/stewart_mandel/02/23/michigan-ncaa/index.html

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

NCAA details Michigan's 'major' bureaucratic infractions
By Matt Hinton

Last August is like the Stone Age in Internet time, but some readers may remember the late-breaking charges by the Detroit Free-Press against Michigan just a week before the Wolverines' season opener, specifically accusing the Rich Rodriguez administration of "consistently violat[ing] NCAA rules governing offseason workouts, in-season demands on players and mandatory summer activities" and briefly throwing the Michigan fan base into a divisive, defensive lather. The Wolverines' 4-0 start in September largely quieted the storm, but didn't deter the NCAA, which joined the university's own internal investigation and provided it with a detailed list of infractions on Monday.
Among the accusations in that letter, made public today, were five "major" violations:
• Quality control staffers "regularly monitored and conducted skill-development" activities with players during the winter and summer, "sometimes watched game and/or practice film" with players and "sometimes attended meeting involving coaching activities." As such, they qualify as coaches, exceeding the allowable number of coaches by five. This seems like by far the most significant charge in terms of possible retribution, though it's hard to judge if the staffers' "coaching" extended beyond minor pointers while standing around into active, substantive coaching points (i.e., were they going 40 in a 35, or 70?).
• Players were sometimes "required to participate in as many as five" hours of football activities per day during the season, exceeding the NCAA limit of four. In the offseason, players were sometimes required to participate in 10 hours per week, exceeding the NCAA limit of eight, and were sometimes disciplined with extra workouts for missing classes (permissible in the season, according to new athletic director David Brandon, but not in the summer). Football activities during the week of Oct. 19, 2008 exceeded the 20-hour weekly limit during the season by 20 minutes.
• A graduate-assistant provided "false and misleading" testimony to NCAA investigators, specifically that he was not present at a seven-on-seven drill during the summer. Another staffer -- newly promoted outside linebacker/safeties coach Adam Braithwate -- participated in on and off-field coaching activities before being hired as a coach.
• And finally (and most damningly), "Rich Rodriguez ... failed to promote an atmosphere of compliance and failed to adequately monitor" staff. The athletic department itself was cited along the same lines for "fail[ing] to adequately monitor its football program to assure compliance regarding the limitations on the number, duties and activities of countable football coaches and time limits for countable athletically related activities."
Stare into the face of bureaucracy, Michigan, and quiver at its awesome power.
Know also that every program in the country -- and I'm pretty confident when I say every program -- would run afoul of at least one of those infractions (or similar ones; it's a big manual) on a somewhat regular basis, as the minimum cost of employing fallible human being while continuing to dead-lift with the Joneses. Other programs, however, weren't the target of an investigation by a major metropolitan newspaper that left no stone unturned in its efforts to make a splash against a high-profile program. Michigan was, which is why it was Michigan's coach, president and new athletic director (not even officially on the job for two more weeks) in front of the cameras today feigning contrition over barely spilt milk.
The next steps in the complicated waggle dance with the NCAA include a formal response from the university within 90 days and an appearance before the Committee on Infractions in August, by which time the school may or may not have decided to self-impose sanctions in exchange for potential leniency from above. Potential punishment for "major violations" (likely including scholarship losses and probation) is certainly threatening enough that Brandon was forced to stress the awesome new paperwork system the department has implemented to track every single second of football-related activity by every single person in the vicinity of the campus to ward off potential violations in the future. Other big-time programs around the country will follow suit while thanking the stars some desperate reporter didn't come around their shop instead.

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

Orange and Brown wrote:[url]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/stewart_mandel/02/23/michigan-ncaa/index.html

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/stewart_mandel/02/23/michigan-ncaa/index.html

Malcontent
Freshman Team

Post by Malcontent »

What I have been reading is that Michigan has been the top of the ladder when it comes to following the rules the NCAA mandates. No one has done it better than MIchigan. I think that is why this has come as a real surprise to a lot of sports people.

What I see, and this is just an impression I get, the President , AD and Head football coach are all rowing the same boat but there is one problem, its sprung a leak. There have been a few rules broken but no one seems to be at fault. These folks have a tremendous tradition when it comes to being above board about these types of things and this problem should be no different. Seems the coach has no control over his program and his recruiting is even leaving a lot to be desired. The President and AD needs to lay in on the line with him and if he doesn't comply, show him the way to the door.

No one man is bigger than Michigan. If you like or dislike them they are a university with tremendous tradition and no one should be allowed to destroy this tradition. Just the opinion of a sports fan.

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

peake wrote:and? I have already posted about this matter. NCAA has alligations and Michigan has 90 days to respond. Michigan has basically dealt with the problem. I have already made a post and I am not reposting. THis is much to do about nothing.

Not responding? ;-)

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

fuzzhead wrote:"We talkin' about practice... We ain't talking about a game - we talkin' about practice."

You beat me to it fuzz,,,,

marshallman
Varsity

Post by marshallman »

From an OSU fan base. The best thing to happen is probation and scholarship reductions. But, keep RR. He is the best thing to ever happen for OSU. Hopefully, he will be around at least 5 years and then the next coach will have all of RR players that are tailored to that wacky spread he runs and it will take the new coach another three years to get his own players in to run his system before things get back on track for them.

Remember the banner the OSU fans held up at the last OSU vs Michigan game, (Please keep RR)? I loved that!

Return to “College Sports”