Uh-oh: Jim Tressel could be in major NCAA hot water

Peake
SEOP

Re: Uh-oh: Jim Tressel could be in major NCAA hot water

Post by Peake »

I think I should appreciate your comments Dubs. Was that a smack in the face to me or compliment?

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

A compliment for sure.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

With what I said previously in account, I still don't want anyone else besides Jim Tressel coaching my football team.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

My bad gahs, maybe I wasn't comprehending completely. It has been a long day at work :?

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

Fire Tressel ,,,,,,Rich Rod is avalible!!!!!!LOL

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

GAHS, my assertion back in December about drugs being involved wasn't that some of the kids did some pot, or bought some drugs.
That stuff is child's play.

I meant that there were major drug related issues that were not being reported, and that multiple players would face major jail time if implicated.
I made it very clear that the story about memorabilia being sold for tattoos was the tip of a very small iceberg. That would bury the program if it ever came out.

Maybe some here wanted to see my statements as rumor and just a guy from Columbus trying to spread rumors to people away from the CBus media and contacts. And maybe I was blown off by some.

But those who blew me off before should understand that when I say that they could bury our football program if everything in this case comes out, I mean it, and I pray that it remains uncovered.

If everything comes out, Tress is gone, Gene Smith is gone, and if the NCAA decides to make an example out of us, the guys at ESPN will be making a movie for 30 in 30 that makes Craig James and SMU look like saints.

I know that you are holding out till all the cards are on the table and reserving judgement until then. I absolutely respect that, and as I said before I hope we still have JT as a coach for years to come and remain a viable National Power. But I also hope that all the cards are never dealt, and that JT and Gene Smith learn from this and never put OSU in this situation again.

One man can never be more important that the team. And if that man has made a living off of a perception of integrity and has authored multiple faith and motivation based books built on honesty and integrity, then he sure has done a darn fine job of not living up to his own words in this crap pickle!!!

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

High profile athletes at high profile schools has always been a problem but back in the day the media and mediums weren't as plentiful. The internet itself has changed society period. I was talking to co-worker today who went to a Catholic high school here in C-bus, is an OSU graduate and a professional manager. He went to OSU with Archie Griffin and Cornelius Greene (two examples) in the early to mid 70's and was the same age and they were in some classes together and in the same dorms at that time. He said Corny was driving a brand new Lincoln (which costs a pretty penny back in the day), and Archie's dad (who had 8 children) was driving around in a new Buick every year. Athletes and vehicles have always gone hand in hand he says.

Old Tom Morris
Freshman Team

Post by Old Tom Morris »

here is the smoking gun on the situation!

http://www.610wtvn.com/pages/template/t ... ch2011.pdf

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

Where has the General been? Would love to hear what he has to say.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

BTW, Coach Tressel is scheduled to speak at my place of employment next week. Guess what the topic is ? LEADERSHIP and we've already started a little water cooler talk about that presentation. It should be fun listening to this.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Former walk on linebacker Christopher Cicero is the Columbus attorney that gave Tressel the emails.

He was a walk on in 1983, the same year that JT was a first year assistant at OSU.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Going back through the forum pages and looking at our comments on TP as he came up from HS. Youll have to go back to around page 34.

Lots of changes over the course of 4 years, but one thing that caught my eye that made me laugh.

Peake told us that Justin Feagan was going to make us forget about TP!

Just joking with ya Peake, it's in fun.
But seriously, when our posters are bored someday, they should take a stroll down memory lane.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Tress can go suck an Egg!! He should have done the right thing Period!!!!!

Shame on him and shame on the players!!!

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

gahs4ever wrote:Im thinking if all the coaches and all the players who deserved to "suck eggs" actually got caught and were held to the same scrutiny, there may not be enough men and players for a couple of good conferences.

Two kinds of criminals: the ones who got caught, and the ones who havent (yet).

The man isnt a child molester, rapist, or murderer for crying out loud. He withheld information. Wrong? Yes! Punishable? Certainly. But when all is said and done and he has satisfied the NCAA, is he to be held with contempt and scorn for the rest of his life? There are worse crimes.

The only thing worse than a rush to judgment is the people who seemingly want him to be consigned to the bowels of Hell for what he did.
Maybe thats what they need!! Clean house! Start with the NCAA and then the schools

This man makes tons of money to travel around the country talking about integerty, honor respect.....I have heard his speaches, they are all about accountablity and doing the right thing............I'm not saying he should be banned from CFB or something. I'm just saying he needs to held accountable for what he did and 2 games isn't enough...We should let him slide because everyone else gets a pass? Thats whats wrong with this country!!!

footballfanatic1
All Conference

Post by footballfanatic1 »

MAN SOME PEOPLE REALLY NEED TO LOOK IN THE MIRROR.....

ACCBiggz
JV Team

Post by ACCBiggz »

gahs4ever wrote:The only thing worse than a rush to judgment is the people who seemingly want him to be consigned to the bowels of Hell for what he did.
Honestly, it's why I have stayed away from conversations and topics about this matter. The public and media's complete overreaction kills me. The man, who by all accounts still has a top flight character, makes one mistake of withholding information and you would have thought he turned out to be a shooter on the grass knoll. Let me, for the record, state that I'm not a OSU fan so I hope that people don't try to pin me as being some OSU sympathizer. Listening to Chris McKendry the other day on ESPN was sickening as she seemingly had legit anger in her voice and pressured Joe Schad to see if he would be fired and sounded like that is what she wanted. And ESPN article I read with the same intention was sickening to me.

I have a couple issues with the entire situation:

1. I think this is a culmination of everything that has happened in recent years and it was the tipping point for a lot of people so naturally the most recent offender gets largest backlash. Add that with many people disliking schools/teams that consistently win (The Yankee Effect) and you end up with all that's being sad. Reggie Bush, USC, North Carolina, Cam Newton, Tennessee and the plethora of other schools and individuals in recent times add in to this mix.

2. I always try to put myself in the situation of the offender to see how I really feel about them. There have been cases where it was someone I stood fully behind and then felt betrayed as they did a good job of masking their wrong doings and other times the opposite. When I put myself in Tressel's shoes I don't think any less of the man. This is one minor, in my opinion, mistake. He wasn't paying a player to join the program, giving them cars, severe multiple recruiting violations... he got an e-mail and didn't tell anyone. Maybe he didn't think much of it, maybe he thought he could handle it without having it come out (still wrong I know, but intentions would have been good in that scenario and to me that counts for something) or any other number of scenarios. And I also think its a possibility for Tressel to have thought the same that the majority of America thought when it all first came out - that it's their stuff and they should be able to sell it. Obviously, he knew it was against the rules but maybe he didn't think it would come to light and I'm not trying to defend it but trying to understand what could have went through his head during this time. At the end of the day my conclusion was that he simply made a mistake and shouldn't be ostracized like many are trying to do. This isn't an offense that should cost him his job or the vast overreactions that many had. And if Jim Tressel came to speak near me about leadership, integrity and the like I would still listen with open ears. I don't think any less of the man for a minor mistake - and if I did think any less of him for this I would have to think nothing of myself for the minor mistakes I've made in my daily life as well.

Yossarian
Freshman Team

Post by Yossarian »

I am glad I am not coaching in today's environment. First of all to compete you have to recruit players who were made "Prima Donnas" long before they arrive at the collegiate level. If you don't recruit this type of player, try and make your best judgment on who will play and stay out of trouble, you can't compete with the big boys. Good luck with that. As far as Ohio State's coach is concerned, he has admitted to a mistake and will be punished. I learned a long time ago that there was only one person who ever lived who was perfect. I agree with whatever punishment is levied. What I don't know is what was in the man's heart. He said the kids are safe and they will graduate. If I am informed of a federal investigation into drugs I may be a little afraid of getting someone hurt as well. Enough for me.

LoganElm_grad09
Varsity

Post by LoganElm_grad09 »

ACCBiggz wrote:
gahs4ever wrote:The only thing worse than a rush to judgment is the people who seemingly want him to be consigned to the bowels of Hell for what he did.
Honestly, it's why I have stayed away from conversations and topics about this matter. The public and media's complete overreaction kills me. The man, who by all accounts still has a top flight character, makes one mistake of withholding information and you would have thought he turned out to be a shooter on the grass knoll. Let me, for the record, state that I'm not a OSU fan so I hope that people don't try to pin me as being some OSU sympathizer. Listening to Chris McKendry the other day on ESPN was sickening as she seemingly had legit anger in her voice and pressured Joe Schad to see if he would be fired and sounded like that is what she wanted. And ESPN article I read with the same intention was sickening to me.

I have a couple issues with the entire situation:

1. I think this is a culmination of everything that has happened in recent years and it was the tipping point for a lot of people so naturally the most recent offender gets largest backlash. Add that with many people disliking schools/teams that consistently win (The Yankee Effect) and you end up with all that's being sad. Reggie Bush, USC, North Carolina, Cam Newton, Tennessee and the plethora of other schools and individuals in recent times add in to this mix.

2. I always try to put myself in the situation of the offender to see how I really feel about them. There have been cases where it was someone I stood fully behind and then felt betrayed as they did a good job of masking their wrong doings and other times the opposite. When I put myself in Tressel's shoes I don't think any less of the man. This is one minor, in my opinion, mistake. He wasn't paying a player to join the program, giving them cars, severe multiple recruiting violations... he got an e-mail and didn't tell anyone. Maybe he didn't think much of it, maybe he thought he could handle it without having it come out (still wrong I know, but intentions would have been good in that scenario and to me that counts for something) or any other number of scenarios. And I also think its a possibility for Tressel to have thought the same that the majority of America thought when it all first came out - that it's their stuff and they should be able to sell it. Obviously, he knew it was against the rules but maybe he didn't think it would come to light and I'm not trying to defend it but trying to understand what could have went through his head during this time. At the end of the day my conclusion was that he simply made a mistake and shouldn't be ostracized like many are trying to do. This isn't an offense that should cost him his job or the vast overreactions that many had. And if Jim Tressel came to speak near me about leadership, integrity and the like I would still listen with open ears. I don't think any less of the man for a minor mistake - and if I did think any less of him for this I would have to think nothing of myself for the minor mistakes I've made in my daily life as well.

I agree with you, but the thing to remember is that people aren't flying off the handle that he didn't report an e-mail to the NCAA, it's that he lied about it to everybody about it. I have a hard time defending Tress for lying when he preaches integrity and honesty myself. To be honest though, I think he's taking a fall for Smith and Gee. In the press conference, Smith cut Tress off when he was asked if the e-mail was forewarded.

Gordon Gee is an intelligent man, but sometimes you need to shut up. The press conference was called about a problem in the football team and he practically admitted football was bigger than everything else the university stood for with his "I hope (Tressel) doesn't fire me." That may have been a joke, but there is a place and time for a comment and the conference was not the place nor time.

LoganElm_grad09
Varsity

Post by LoganElm_grad09 »

One more thing: people have been making a big deal about Tress' "game face" at the conference, talking about how he took time to respond to things and looked nervous. They also bring up that he should have known what to do because he was a big time head coach.

My question is: could Tress' reaction have been because of nerves? You put a kid who has never been in front of a hundred thousand rabid fans and I bet he gets the jitters. Tress has had some problems with his players, sure. But has he had experience being in as much trouble as he is facing now?

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Gee was by far joking with the statement he made, probably not the best way to phrase it.

While it may be mostly a joke though, you should realize that Jim Tressel is one of the mist powerful influences not just at The Ohio State, but in The State of Ohio!

Return to “College Sports”