Gene Smith

Post by fightingtigers45 »

Good call on the no bowl ban last year.

Hope the Gator Bowl was worth it.

GoBuckeyes2786
Varsity

Re: Gene Smith

Post by GoBuckeyes2786 »

Definitely a blow for sure. He was definitely given some bad advice on NCAA rulings. I really don't understand it seeing how he is on the NCAA committee. U would think he would have better insight unless the NCAA waited to see smiths actions on accepting a bowl game before making their full decision to lay the hammer.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Frankly, the mess we are in this season rests solely on his shoulders for the piss poor decisions that he made last season. Insight? No. Foresight? Um, yes. As a leader, he should have had some foresight and not put the University and the football program in the position that he did with his lousy decisions last year. I blame him and that bow-tied, overpaid fundraiser for the mess that the kids and coaches are having to deal with this year.

LucasJackson
Varsity

Post by LucasJackson »

Actually this works out best for the Bucks! I'm surprised a big SEC fan like 45 didn't point this out. The Buckeyes win saturday and they will be the only undefeated team in the country after Bama beats Notre Dame in BCS Bowl. The Bucks will have no chance to get whipped in the Rose Bowl and can lay claim to title. Great move by Smith.

fightingtigers45
S

Dinocrocetti wrote:Actually this works out best for the Bucks! I'm surprised a big SEC fan like 45 didn't point this out. The Buckeyes win saturday and they will be the only undefeated team in the country after Bama beats Notre Dame in BCS Bowl. The Bucks will have no chance to get whipped in the Rose Bowl and can lay claim to title. Great move by Smith.
Will they get rings for their AP title or is Portsmouth the only place that does that?

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

fightingtigers45 wrote:
Dinocrocetti wrote:Actually this works out best for the Bucks! I'm surprised a big SEC fan like 45 didn't point this out. The Buckeyes win saturday and they will be the only undefeated team in the country after Bama beats Notre Dame in BCS Bowl. The Bucks will have no chance to get whipped in the Rose Bowl and can lay claim to title. Great move by Smith.
Will they get rings for their AP title or is Portsmouth the only place that does that?
LOL! That was classic....... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Bleeding Red wrote:
fightingtigers45 wrote:
LOL! That was classic....... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That is one of the funniest things that I've read on here in quite awhile. That was a good one, FT45.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

There was no guarantee that we would have a bowl this year if we sat out last year.
Gene did not handle much of anything well, until he hired Urban and overhauled the compliance department.

The bigger blame though goes to Boom Heron and Devier Posey, who were on the team still, knew sanctions were coming, and still continued to get paid for jobs they weren't showing up for, knowing that it was a major violation.

It was that act that was the straw that broke the camels back with the NCAA.
All the Tat-gate stuff and Tressel coverup, would have gotten us a strong probation and scholarship reductions.
It was Posey and Heron, still being eligible and still screwing up that got us banned from the bowl.

Hopper 11
JV Team

Post by Hopper 11 »

What does NC have to do to break the camels back?

Slim Jim
Varsity

Post by Slim Jim »

And to think if it weren't for Pryor osu could be playing for a NC this year.You can't tell me that dosen't honk off you real osu fans...I know some of you are reconciling with a AP title.What's a AP title? That means nothing in the big picture...You could have had the real prize...But tatoo gate blew it for you...

VegasEagle
Varsity

Post by VegasEagle »

Slim Jim wrote:And to think if it weren't for Pryor osu could be playing for a NC this year.You can't tell me that dosen't honk off you real osu fans...I know some of you are reconciling with a AP title.What's a AP title? That means nothing in the big picture...You could have had the real prize...But tatoo gate blew it for you...
You Sure do like to sip on that Hatoraide

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

Tell USC that the 2003 AP title means nothing, as when the won in 2004 they were hailed as Back-to-Back champs and when they played in 2005, talked of as a dynasty with a possible 3 straight.

Oh, and 2003 USC got rings to, though they may have been made in Portsmoth.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Gene Smith used to be seen at Skull Session prancing around the hardwood floor like he owned the place.

Come to think about it, I havent seen him at any of them this year and I have actually looked for him at all of them. I would assume that he doesnt want to be "boo'd" anymore than he already has been (and I have heard him boo'd at OSU events...the introduction of Urban Meyer last year at the bball game comes to mind). Most of Buckeye Nation have lost all respect and hope for him after the way he handle the scandals. If he had so much respect for the university he would have resigned long ago. I think that he sold out OSU in the way he handled the situation and should have had a much better grip on the compliance department. Possey and Herron should have never seen the field last year after the stunt they pulled with the working for the booster scandal. Gene was actually quoted as saying that he was "Extremely disappointed in the NCAA's decision" regarding Possey being suspended longer than the original 5 games. I am sure that didnt go down with the NCAA, having someone question their decision making ability, while in the process of dealing with a broader investigation of OSU.

Gene screwed the university over and his head should have rolled over it.

frank-n-beans
Varsity

Post by frank-n-beans »

seofan_via_dublin wrote:Tell USC that the 2003 AP title means nothing, as when the won in 2004 they were hailed as Back-to-Back champs and when they played in 2005, talked of as a dynasty with a possible 3 straight.

Got a good belly laugh out of that one! :lol: :lol: :lol: Well played Dubs!

fightingtigers45
S

seofan_via_dublin wrote:Tell USC that the 2003 AP title means nothing, as when the won in 2004 they were hailed as Back-to-Back champs and when they played in 2005, talked of as a dynasty with a possible 3 straight.

That was the USC-hype machine led by Pete Carroll. LSU was the deserving champions that year.

Return to “College Sports”