2014 TOSU Bucks: NC Contenders or 5th Best In The BIG?

Omega
SEOPS H

2014 TOSU Bucks: NC Contenders or 5th Best In The BIG?

Post by Omega »

The summer doldroms that precede the dog days. Down south even talk about SC, Clemson and Roll Tide is quite. Being a
transplant in South Carolina makes getting realistic news on the Buckeyes difficult at best. The "homer" web sites all
have TOSU in the playoffs. I need a dose of reality though before I go spouting my mouth off to co-workers who are Clemson or Gamecock fanatics. I need your thoughts on these questions:

1.) Can Miller and the defensive line carry the load while the rest of the team developes?
2.) Will all those 5 star recruits start to pan out and carry TOSU to the promised land?
3.) Can the pass defense make any improvement?
4.) Does the team, including the coaching staff, have the intangibles (chemistry) to be a championship contender?
5.) Many SC locals feel that OSU will not be better than Sparty, TSUN, Wisky, or even Penn State. Is OSU capable
of laying an egg in 2014?

Getting tired of being put down at the water cooler. Can anyone give me a shot of reality about the upcoming season?

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: 2014 TOSU Bucks: NC Contenders or 5th Best In The BIG?

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

you just tell em watch n see, I think you are shortchanging the athletes and coaches we have in place. really gonna miss hyde. but I think we'll be fine. and don't forget urban is where he always wanted to be. that's not putting down any other fine program in the discussion.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

5th in the BIG IS laughable! I can see MSU or maybe another team beating them, but 5th really ? Sounds like wishful thinking from some hater out of state people

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

I think some of the College Football magazines have the Buck a little high.

Will need the early part of the season to get the offensive line to jell. By the end of the season I see the Bucks being one of the best in the country.

TShep17
JV Team

Post by TShep17 »

I personally don't think the bucks should be rated that high I mean they lost to the two best teams they played last year are they a top ten team I believe so are they national championship bound I don't think so

Yes it always great when you win almost every game but when your strength of schedule is down towards lower end well.......the biggest thing in my book is they need to play more consistent each week some weeks look great like when they beat my team (PSU) but yet when they play a Mac team it's rough sledding

Of course it depends on Braxton but it's gonna be a tall order especially since Hyde will be gone
Whoever the running back is has some big big shoes to fill

But good luck to the bucks except one game

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

Bucks have as good a shot as any. My Ohio pessimism kicks in and says they won't win it all. But they may make the playoffs. SEC is a circular firing squad. Don't see anyone from the west being serious contender. Bucks biggest challenge is beating MSU for B1G title.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

TShep17 wrote:I personally don't think the bucks should be rated that high I mean they lost to the two best teams they played last year are they a top ten team I believe so are they national championship bound I don't think so

Yes it always great when you win almost every game but when your strength of schedule is down towards lower end well.......the biggest thing in my book is they need to play more consistent each week some weeks look great like when they beat my team (PSU) but yet when they play a Mac team it's rough sledding

Of course it depends on Braxton but it's gonna be a tall order especially since Hyde will be gone
Whoever the running back is has some big big shoes to fill

But good luck to the bucks except one game
Funny, I seem to remember a MAC school beating "your" team, in Happy Valley!

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

Best Dline in the country.
The secondary play will be press coverage most of the time, designed to kill timing routes & quick hit routes. This only helps the DLine.
Linebackers are young, but highly talented and raw.
If the secondary is better, expect the LB corps to look better than they are.

No Hyde as a reliable rock, but much more explosive.
Braxton must stay healthy.

Best team in the Big 10 with no doubt.

Next time a SC guy tries to say 5th in Big 10, laugh at him...loudly!

Toughest game will be at MSU.

As long as Braxton is healthy, OSU waltzes through the conference.
If he's healthy and takes the needed steps forward in the passing game, then no game on the schedule should be within 2 TDs.

Badboy
Varsity

Post by Badboy »

Hyde is going to be a huge loss to the offensive production. The guy was a beast. Its hard to not wonder how many yards he would have rushed for last year without sitting out the first few games. I think the backs this year will be more explosive, but I dont think we have that ground and pound tough back like Hyde.

There isnt a team on the schedule that should hold OSU under 30 points except MSU. Hopefully they have a little scarlet anus for that game. Hell they gave MSU a 17 head start and still should have won the game.

Defense wins championships.......holy cow it has to improve by leaps and bounds this year to become a national title contender again. 2 years in a row it hasnt gotten better. No more "Fickell this and that...." Meyer's had time shore up the defense. No more excuses. This is easily the best defensive line since 2006. Stopping the run shouldnt be a problem.

Bosa was more than impressive last year. I cant wait to see what is in store from him this season. Spence should have a heck of a year as should Washington. Bennett is due for a big year.

The only uncertain areas I see are the defensive secondary (again) not getting lost in coverage and finding that one RB that can carry the load.

One thing is certain, it should be a fun season.

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

seofan_via_dublin wrote:Best Dline in the country.
The secondary play will be press coverage most of the time, designed to kill timing routes & quick hit routes. This only helps the DLine.
Linebackers are young, but highly talented and raw.
If the secondary is better, expect the LB corps to look better than they are.

No Hyde as a reliable rock, but much more explosive.
Braxton must stay healthy.

Best team in the Big 10 with no doubt.

Next time a SC guy tries to say 5th in Big 10, laugh at him...loudly!

Toughest game will be at MSU.

As long as Braxton is healthy, OSU waltzes through the conference.
If he's healthy and takes the needed steps forward in the passing game, then no game on the schedule should be within 2 TDs.
Very well said. I agree!

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

Badboy wrote:Hyde is going to be a huge loss to the offensive production. The guy was a beast. Its hard to not wonder how many yards he would have rushed for last year without sitting out the first few games. I think the backs this year will be more explosive, but I dont think we have that ground and pound tough back like Hyde.

There isnt a team on the schedule that should hold OSU under 30 points except MSU. Hopefully they have a little scarlet anus for that game. Hell they gave MSU a 17 head start and still should have won the game.

Defense wins championships.......holy cow it has to improve by leaps and bounds this year to become a national title contender again. 2 years in a row it hasnt gotten better. No more "Fickell this and that...." Meyer's had time shore up the defense. No more excuses. This is easily the best defensive line since 2006. Stopping the run shouldnt be a problem.

Bosa was more than impressive last year. I cant wait to see what is in store from him this season. Spence should have a heck of a year as should Washington. Bennett is due for a big year.

The only uncertain areas I see are the defensive secondary (again) not getting lost in coverage and finding that one RB that can carry the load.

Another great summary! How have ya been Badboy??? Will I see you at the Shoe again for scUM this year brother?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Badboy
Varsity

Post by Badboy »

The Oaf wrote:
Badboy wrote:Hyde is going to be a huge loss to the offensive production. The guy was a beast. Its hard to not wonder how many yards he would have rushed for last year without sitting out the first few games. I think the backs this year will be more explosive, but I dont think we have that ground and pound tough back like Hyde.

Another great summary! How have ya been Badboy??? Will I see you at the Shoe again for scUM this year brother?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
I hope so! This will be the first year in the past 5 seasons that I didnt snag season tickets. I actually went to that crap hole they call Ann Arbor last year to watch The Game.....great trip. Well worth the cost of the tickets, hotel and gas to watch so many Big Blue fans look so disappointed after scUM couldnt win the game at the end.

While I am still not ruling out getting tickets for this year's games, I will probably only go to 3-4 with scUM being one of them! Drinking a few brewskies, eating Ryan's breakfast burritos and watching scUM get their @sses kicked in the Shoe sounds like a perfect fall Saturday to me!

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

Haha Ryan's burritos made me spit my coffee! I've never had the experience of leaving Ann Arbor a winner though! :122247 Should be a great season again, I'm sure our paths will cross. Take care my friend!

Return to “College Sports”