OHIO STATE @ VA. TECH--YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS ONE

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

OHIO STATE @ VA. TECH--YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS ONE

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

Blacksburg,Va.-- Night Game.On a Monday. Can it get any better. BUCKEYES @ HOKIES.

Senatorz10
Freshman Team

Re: OHIO STATE @ VA. TECH--YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS ONE

Post by Senatorz10 »

Buckeyes remember last year and taste revenge and blood. This game gets ugly and FAST! Buckeyes trounce the Hokies 51-10

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I like how you think. you think that even with our 4 suspensions to very key players.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

New season. Distractions from the NC. QB2. Suspensions. First game jitters and mistakes while on the road in a hostile environment against a more than respectable opponent. It will take a few weeks for the Bucks to regain their form of the last three games of 2014. TOSU escapes Blacksburg 16 to 13 in overtime. A character enhancing game to build upon for the rest of the schedule.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Buckeyes by two scores. VT is going to be better than last year, though. Darkhorse to appear in the ACC championship. They could very well be ranked by the end of the year.

Badboy
Varsity

Post by Badboy »

JMHO-

If OSU starts JTB, VT will again load the box and make it tough for even JTB and Zeke to run on. They played their Bear defense with 7, 8 and even sometimes 9 defenders in the box to make OSU beat them with the the pass.

There is a reason that Zeke averaged over 230yds a game against Wisky, Bama and Oregon......which takes me to:

Start Cardale and stretch VT's defense and open running lanes. Cardale's arm and his deep ball make life easy for Zeke. The line also improved, but defenses tried to stack the box against Cardale to stop the run (Wisky and Bama both tried) and Cardale torched them through the air.

Add the fact that VaTech has confidence in stopping Barrett, I don't see how Cardale doesn't start.

The other X factors:
1. How does Braxton perform at H back? With Marshall suspended he and Samuel will need to have a big game.
2. Thomas will be the go to receiver. How will Campbell, Gibson and the other WRs perform? Will they drop passes and miss blocks like they did last year vs VaTech or will they step up and make plays? It is tough to replace Smith and Spencer from last season. These receivers must be baptized by fire in Blacksburg. Vannett will need to have a solid game as well. He could be a game changer on the short and intermediate routes. Losing Noah Brown today to a broken leg is a huge loss a depleted group of WRs. I sure hope Gibson is all they are speculating him to be at WR.
3. When the offense doesn't score, special teams must win field position and put pressure on VaTechs offense, which is average.
4. Protect the ball. The last 3 games to finish the season proved the only thing that could stop OSUs offense was themselves when they turned the ball over or missed assignments.

VaTechs bread and butter is their defense. They struggled last year on offense but their QB played the game of his life against OSU last year. The guy was money on 3rd down. I don't see OSUs defense allowing that Sept 7th.

I think our offense, even with the the suspensions, will score 35 on a good VaTech defense. And I think our defense will put enormous pressure on VaTechs average offense.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

NOAH BROWN OUT FOR SEASON NOW WITH A BROKEN LEG.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I agree this is a huge test. with the suspensions and injuries. this will be a very tough game to win. I think the bucks need to start on fire here. Blacksburg at night -prime time is a tough draw. and the coaching of frank beamer and bud foster is a powerful combination.frankly how the hokies have kept foster from going to another big time program as a head coach behooves me. but they are very formidable. and not that far removed from some very great teams of the recent past. ---------------but I think the bucks win this ballgame and start clicking early.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

one thing for sure we will get everybodies best effort , so we gotta smash em right in the chops.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

by the way great post badboy

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

Confidence in stopping JT would be very misplaced.
Last year he was a freshman thrown into this game during game week, no prep time, and nerves all day.

Now, he's a Heisman top 5, returning leader, knows the system, and is the most productive QB EVER at OSU.

I agree that Cardale makes you respect the deep ball more. However, OSU returns 80% of its offense, and that doesn't include Braxton!

Bud Foster is a great defensive mind, and he might have 1 of the 2 schools that will hold OSU under 50.

I think OSU starts a little slow, but after the first quarter, gets rolling.

OSU: 38
VTech: 13

Badboy
Varsity

Post by Badboy »

Good post Dubs.

JT did have one game under his belt last year before playing VaTech. Sure there were nerves, but Cardale stepped in with no prep, thrown into the Big Ten Championship game against a good Wisky team that had a very good defense. Wisky tried to stack the box and take the run away and make the 3rd stringer (lol) beat them with his arm (and what D coordinator wouldnt in that position). The problem was, Cardale shredded Wisky's defense like a block of cheese (no pun intended), spread them out of the box and Zeke ran wild. That is the thing with Cardale at QB, and it helped having a ball hog like Devon Smith, you cant sell out against the run or you'll be down 3 scores before the hot dog vendors make their way down to the stands.

Same thing happened vs Bama, as their D coordinator tried to stack the box early and kept getting torched by Cardale and Co on 3rd down. The second half was a lot of OSU throwing on 1st and 2nd downs and keeping Bama's defense in limbo.

Va Tech is good at stopping the run. I think they will sell out to stop OSU's running game and as long as we can keep their defense honest we win big if we limit turnovers. Bud Foster has to be thinking his defensive secondary can shut down our depleted WR group.

Here is the thing about Cardale- No one is to say that if he had been named the starter last season he wouldnt have set records of his own. Its hard to deny that the offense is a completely different monster with him under center. Everyone keeps saying that JT is a great leader.......I agree but Cardale was just as effective leading the team to a NC. He was poised and hungry and has the athletic skills to be the best college QB this year. OSU won the NC with Cardale running 25% of Meyer's playbook. Granted they didnt run as much zone read as JT did, but with Cardale's arm and being able to flee out of the pocket and bulldoze his way to first downs, they didnt need to.

And this year with Zeke, Braxton, Samuel, Wilson, Dunn, Weber (when he gets healthy), Wilson (if he sees the field)......there are plenty of effective ways to run the ball. IMO we dont have to have a running QB. The stats show our offense is far more potent with 12 gauge.

I think to an extent JT is "Meyer's guy" because he recruited him, of course Tress recruited Cardale. I know for certain that both are good QB, but that will probably give the edge to JT. I will cheer both on but I will be a little disappointed if Cardale doesnt get the nod.

Also, if Cardale starts, chances are good that JT comes back next year. Heck possibly 2 more years. If JT starts, and plays well all season, I think we lose both to the NFL draft and be looking at Gibson and Burrow as the QB. One trying to play WR and the other never playing a snap in a college game before.

JMO

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

can you even imagine preparing for ohio state's offense now. with barrett, jones, miller. any run play is a threat to be a pass play. best o-line in the country. and oh did we mention zeke. nice tight ends. this could be a nightmare. but I tell you beamer n foster will be a tough draw week 1. only thing going to stop the bucks this year is the bucks. so we need some checkups from the necks up. and have them focused.

Badboy
Varsity

Post by Badboy »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:can you even imagine preparing for ohio state's offense now. with barrett, jones, miller. any run play is a threat to be a pass play. best o-line in the country. and oh did we mention zeke. nice tight ends. this could be a nightmare. but I tell you beamer n foster will be a tough draw week 1. only thing going to stop the bucks this year is the bucks. so we need some checkups from the necks up. and have them focused.
Losing Bosa will hurt, but not nearly as much as Marshall and Corey Smith. What boneheads. Not only the distraction, but a let down to the team.

Noah Brown would have been a tremendous asset in Blacksburg. The thin WR group is going to be a big deal. The coverage Bud Foster will put on Michael Thomas will be tighter than a 0 size dress on Queen Latifah.

While Bosa will surely get a free pass, I hope the receivers and H backs that OSU plays against VaTech have great games. Part of me things Corey Smith and Dontre Wilson are better off on the pine and out of the spotlight. Wilson cant catch a cold and is only a straight line runner with no moves. Smith could be one hell of a player and can lay the wood to people. Part of me thinks he is a thug and he has a problem dropping passes and has butter fingers.

Gibson, Johnnie Dixon, Paris Campbell and McLaurin could be household names on Sept 8th. OSU desperately needs 2 out of that group to rise to the occasion and prove that it really is "Next man up".

Oh there is that Braxton guy too......he could really ignite the offense with a couple nice receptions and get himself into open space. Even at 220lbs, Va Tech doesnt have a DB that can catch him from behind! We shall see if his route running and catching ability is good enough to put himself in that position.

Senatorz10
Freshman Team

Post by Senatorz10 »

Dont forget that Virginia Tech also wont have their main RB Shai McKenzie... hes been suspended... some good news for Buckeye Fans

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Saw where Barrett was named a captain today,sure can't see a captain sitting on the bench,looks like a decision has been made.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I WOULD AGREE THAT IS LIKELY. AND BOSA'S SHENANIGANS COST HIM A CAPTAIN SPOT AS WELL.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

here turkey, turkey, turkey

marshallman
Varsity

Post by marshallman »

OSU will play close game in 1st qtr. But last year, 4 new OL started along with QB their 2nd game, they Didn't have Braxton last year. I expect Myer to open up a can of whipa$$ and win this 45-14. VT defense is loaded and Foster out coached Myer last year. OSU will use the TE this time and Elliott will get more touches.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I like how dat marshall man thinks.

Return to “College Sports”