Athletes Boycotting Mizzou ??

Omega
SEOPS H

Athletes Boycotting Mizzou ??

Post by Omega »

Making no judgments on the merits of the grievances involved. However this may be the start of a "sports" reflecting life trend in America. If something similar happened at TOSU or any other school we root for, would our fandom suffer or would it make a difference?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/blogs/ncaa ... 49647.html

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Bird Dog
All Conference

Re: Athletes Boycotting Mizzou ??

Post by Bird Dog »

Here's a question. Can or should they lose their scholarship if they're not gonna play?

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Bird Dog wrote:Here's a question. Can or should they lose their scholarship if they're not gonna play?
Absolutely, they get a free ride to play football, no more football, no more free ride.

Bird Dog
All Conference

Post by Bird Dog »

fbnut wrote:
Bird Dog wrote:Here's a question. Can or should they lose their scholarship if they're not gonna play?
Absolutely, they get a free ride to play football, no more football, no more free ride.
Agree with you even though it wont happen. Just wondered what everyone thought

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Well ---- looks like the athletes achieved their goal of getting the university president to resign. Was it the athlete boycott or other powers that be forcing the change? I report, you decide.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/misso ... 42770.html

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Omega wrote:Well ---- looks like the athletes achieved their goal of getting the university president to resign. Was it the athlete boycott or other powers that be forcing the change? I report, you decide.

I think it was a little of both. Sure if the players do not play they lose their scholarships more than likely. But also, they lose millions if they boycott those games, and a school can't afford that.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Chieftain2009 wrote:
Omega wrote:Well ---- looks like the athletes achieved their goal of getting the university president to resign. Was it the athlete boycott or other powers that be forcing the change? I report, you decide.

I think it was a little of both. Sure if the players do not play they lose their scholarships more than likely. But also, they lose millions if they boycott those games, and a school can't afford that.
Whose to say they would boycot? It came out not all players supported this boycot. At some point you have to say enough is enough and take a stand against this crap. You only need 11.

Bird Dog
All Conference

Post by Bird Dog »

Agree fbnut, who's to say next time somebody's feelings get hurt they dont try to shut down the playoffs. I say call their bluff

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

If it happens again the bluff be happen the third time.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
The Inspector
Varsity

Post by The Inspector »

Lets say at OSU the kids protested something and were united. They want this done or that. They are playing a home game this week but if their demands are not met they are not playing. What is the course of action?..A Coach only has one choice in todays social media driven world. AND...The DOLLARS made or LOST. He has to stand behind the players and their cause! Thats it. Maybe talk some sense into the situation. But you are not going to tell a big part of your roster to buck up,get your butt to practice or you are done. Not happening. Hope cooler heads prevail or The situation gets resolved or The Higher UP SUITS resign. Like at Mo. This wont be the last situation of this nature. Plenty to come.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

I agree this could open up a big can of worms and could change the game as we know it.I heard today a lot of this stuff didn't even happen like the KKK showing up,total fabrication started in social media by the student body.The prez resigning sets a bad example IMO

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

The Inspector wrote:Lets say at OSU the kids protested something and were united. They want this done or that. They are playing a home game this week but if their demands are not met they are not playing. What is the course of action?..A Coach only has one choice in todays social media driven world. AND...The DOLLARS made or LOST. He has to stand behind the players and their cause! Thats it. Maybe talk some sense into the situation. But you are not going to tell a big part of your roster to buck up,get your butt to practice or you are done. Not happening. Hope cooler heads prevail or The situation gets resolved or The Higher UP SUITS resign. Like at Mo. This wont be the last situation of this nature. Plenty to come.
We finally agree on something haha I definitely don't think it's the last we ever see of this type of thing.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

My advice: don't be a dinosaur. Recognize when the landscape is changing and prepare to deal with the changes because change is coming.

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse
fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

So what do you do now, give in to the free tuition and debt forgiveness?

The Inspector
Varsity

Post by The Inspector »

No I hope not. But in this climate we live in....The point is that at some major successful athletic schools like Osu there a certain amount of these athletes making HUGE amount of dollars for their services for the Universities. More and more all the time. And TV dollars just feed the monster. The frightening part these kids know it now and are starting to mull around and act on it. And I am concerned it will get worse.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

Change is coming.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

dazed&confused wrote:Change is coming.
Not for the good

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

fbnut wrote:
Not for the good
Change is coming. You can be the bat or be the ball.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

This ticked Mr. Trump off..LOl

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

dazed&confused wrote:
fbnut wrote:
Not for the good
Change is coming. You can be the bat or be the ball.
So what's trump, the bat or ball?

Return to “College Sports”