Breaking News: Florida, Jim McElwain part ways

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Breaking News: Florida, Jim McElwain part ways

Post by Chieftain2009 »

The University of Florida and Jim McElwain have parted ways, a source told ESPN, confirming earlier reports.

McElwain has not yet been fired, but he has been told he is out, with details of the parting being finalized as of Sunday afternoon. There is a scheduled meeting with Florida players at 5:30 p.m. ET.

Football Scoop first reported the news.

The news comes a day after another tough result for the unranked Gators (3-4, 3-3 SEC), who were dismantled 42-7 by then-No. 3 Georgia (8-0, 5-0) on Saturday in Jacksonville for their third straight loss.

On Saturday, sources told ESPN that the school was discussing whether it could fire McElwain with cause.

After failing to find any evidence to substantiate claims made by McElwain last week that his family and players received death threats, Florida administrators were working to see whether, if the allegations were false, that would be enough to relieve the university from paying his full buyout of $12.76 million if he were to be fired.

McElwain, who was hired in December 2014, has a 22-12 record and won the SEC Eastern Division in back-to-back seasons, becoming the first SEC coach to make it to the SEC championship game in each of his first two seasons.

His 19 wins entering the 2017 season were the second most by any SEC coach in 2015 and '16. Those 19 wins tied Steve Spurrier for the second-most victories by a Florida coach in his first two seasons.

ohwkGREATNESSyrio
All Conference

Re: Breaking News: Florida, Jim McElwain part ways

Post by ohwkGREATNESSyrio »

Good bye.

I AM HARMS WAY. Life is a knive fight. Bring guns for the fun.
ohwkGREATNESSyrio
All Conference

Any fan that follows college football seen this one coming. Next is butch

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

I was just wondering if he made up the death threat story to get bought out? Never know what he was thinking but he knew the way the season would be going downhill.

ohwkGREATNESSyrio
All Conference

Never heard a death threat story but i never really watch espn just the games.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

ohwkGREATNESSyrio wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:44 pm Never heard a death threat story but i never really watch espn just the games.
Press conference last week, he said he was receiving death threats. Reporter asked him to expand on that, he said no. Then he met with the president and AD at Florida to discuss that and they said he wouldn't give any details about it. Clearly made up.

ohwkGREATNESSyrio
All Conference

Chieftain2009 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:59 pm
ohwkGREATNESSyrio wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:44 pm Never heard a death threat story but i never really watch espn just the games.
Press conference last week, he said he was receiving death threats. Reporter asked him to expand on that, he said no. Then he met with the president and AD at Florida to discuss that and they said he wouldn't give any details about it. Clearly made up.
Thanks man

ohwkGREATNESSyrio
All Conference

ohwkGREATNESSyrio
All Conference

Yes i love pictures

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Read where Steve Spurrier is a special advisor at Florida and had offered twice to help McElwain with the offense. Only to be turned down twice. Along with the players kicked off or suspended during the off season. Then the death threats that have no evidence of. The years of having a good to even great defense without a QB to score points. Maybe he is one of the better to be an assistant coach than have all the duties of a head coach. Or maybe just not a head coach at a major program.

Return to “College Sports”