5 Alabama 11-1
6 Georgia 11-1
7 Miami 10-1
8 Ohio State 10-2
9 Penn S 10-2
10 USC 10-2
11 TCU. 10-2

http://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings/_/poll/21
Last edited by Omega on Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Omega
SEOPS H

Re: CFP Rankings 11-28-17

Post by Omega »

If Ohio State beats Wisky, looks like the Bucks can get no higher than 5th. Iowa matters and Alabama still gets love.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

To me it looks like the committee left the door open for the Buckeyes to slide in should they beat Wisky. Alabama has no opportunity to play themselves higher.
Gonna be a crazy crazy Saturday.
TCU beating Oklahoma would throw a wrench in it.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Omega wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:40 pm If Ohio State beats Wisky, looks like the Bucks can get no higher than 5th. Iowa matters and Alabama still gets love.
You are so pessimistic lol.

They ranked them knowing that these teams will take each other out this weekend. 6 of those teams play this weekend. A loss will eliminate every one of them.

Bama being 5th with no more chances means the committee just left them out.

It's wide open. For all of the 6 teams playing this weekend it's win and you're in.
Last edited by Bleeding Red on Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

I bet a close loss won't drop Clemson out, they will give the defending champs much respect, but we will see. Clemson better beat them for Bucks sake or Miami win easy. Anybody know what is the lowest ranked team to ever jump up in the final 4 during the last week ? Also looks like PSU is nipping at their heels, we all saw what happen to them last year winning head to head and the championship and still snubbed. Could the committee be feeling bad after leaving them out last year? This is going to be good! Love to be a fly on the wall in that room.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

I think it’s pretty much common knowledge the loser of Miami/Clemson and Georgia/Auburn are out. At least two losses and no conference championship, so no danger of either of those sliding in.
No way does Penn State pass OSU (if they win) or Alabama - won’t happen.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

BIG TEN WEST IS WEAK, WEAK, WEAK (CLEMSON, AUBURN, OKLAHOMA, ALABAMA, FINAL FOUR) OSU WILL BEAT WISKY BUT ONLY MOVE UP TO 5 OR 6. GEORGIA (NO CHANCE, YOUNG QB), MIAMI (NO CHANCE, NOT ENOUGH OFFENSE)., WISCONSIN (NOT ENOUGH OFFENSE WITH LEFTY OUT THERE). THE ONLY CHANCE I SEE OSU GETTING IN IS IF TCU BEATS OKLAHOMA. JUST MY OPINION.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

cbolt wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:42 pm I bet a close loss won't drop Clemson out, they will give the defending champs much respect, but we will see. Clemson better beat them for Bucks sake or Miami win easy. Anybody know what is the lowest ranked team to ever jump up in the final 4 during the last week ? Also looks like PSU is nipping at their heels, we all saw what happen to them last year winning head to head and the championship and still snubbed. Could the committee be feeling bad after leaving them out last year? This is going to be good! Love to be a fly on the wall in that room.
Clemson will murder Miami.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Bleeding Red wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:25 pm
Omega wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:40 pm If Ohio State beats Wisky, looks like the Bucks can get no higher than 5th. Iowa matters and Alabama still gets love.

They ranked them knowing that these teams will take each other out this weekend. 6 of those teams play this weekend. A loss will eliminate every one of them.

It's wide open. For all of the 6 teams playing this weekend it's win and you're in.
Hey my glass is always half empty! I love the Buckeyes, I just do not want to see them destroyed on the big stage again. OSU is kind of like the little girl who had a curl in the middle of her forehead. When she was good she was very very good, but when she was bad she was horrid.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Omega wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:23 pm
Bleeding Red wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:25 pm

Hey my glass is always half empty! I love the Buckeyes, I just do not want to see them destroyed on the big stage again. OSU is kind of like the little girl who had a curl in the middle of her forehead. When she was good she was very very good, but when she was bad she was horrid.
I think the same can be said for every team in the top 10 except for Wisconsin. They have all looked like crap at some point this season.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

If we have chalk this weekend and either the B1G champion or Bama is left out, then here comes the 8 team playoff. Perhaps the first round could be played instead of conference championships with losers still eligible for other bowls. Money f3om extra playoffs could be funneled back to conferences

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse
Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Omega wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:36 pm College Football Playoff Rankings
RK TEAM REC
1 Clemson 11-1
2 Auburn 10-2
3 Oklahoma 11-1
4 Wisconsin 12-0
5 Alabama 11-1
6 Georgia 11-1
7 Miami 10-1
8 Ohio State 10-2
9 Penn S 10-2
10 USC 10-2
11 TCU. 10-2

http://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings/_/poll/21
Clemson vs Miama- Loser is out. It would be Clemson's 2nd loss and no conference title for them if Miami wins.
Auburn vs Georgia- Loser is out. It would make Georgia a 2 loss with no conference title or a 3rd loss for Auburn.
Oklahoma vs TCU- loser is out. TCU would give OK their 2nd loss and no conference title.
Same follows for OSU vs Wisky.

The only thing these rankings show is that the committee moved Alabama OUT of the top 5. Unless one of these games Saturday is complete garbage (turnover fest, really poor play) they are out. Alabama has no great wins and LOST the only time it really mattered this season.

You could potentially see 4 2 loss conference champs in the playoffs. ALL of them have had losses where they looked BAD.

With USC being ranked out of the top 10, the committee has decided they are OUT, even as a 2 loss conference champ if they beat Stanford.

I think a perfect championship Saturday for the Bucks is:

1.) Win vs Wisky (doesnt matter the score, just win....but the larger margin the better)
2.) Oklahoma take care of TCU (would love another shot at the punk Baker Mayfield but would also like to see him knocked out)
3.) Clemson hammer Miami (which I think WILL happen)
4.) Georgia pound Auburn (I dont think this will happen, but Auburns RB might be hurt and he is the different maker in this game)

OSU has a very clear path to #4 or even #3 as long as they take care of business. Wisconsin is a VERY good team, balanced on offense and tough nosed defense.

I think the only way Bama gets back into the top 4 is if TCU beats OK in a very sloppy game.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Another thing to think about with Alabama-

If Wisconsin loses Saturday night, they will still have a stronger strength of schedule than Bama, both 12-1, Wisconsin would have more top 25 wins AND they have won their division of the conference and Bama has in fact not.

People thinking Bama getting in at this point is long shot thinking.

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

Hocutt definitely left the door wide open for OSU. Said the committee sees very little difference in teams 5-8, and OSU has a chance to add a conference championship and a win over the #4 team. He also said OSU has impressed since their Iowa loss.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Listen, I'm a diehard OSU fan, as big as they get, in ALL sports! But, I don't believe they have as clear cut of a path to the playoff as y'all are saying. Yes, a win against Wisconsin would look great for them, but, it has to be an absolute blowout for them to even have a chance of making it. And, that was a long path that you described for them is a long shot, I really don't think they have any better of a chance of making it than Alabama does, and believe me, it kills me to say that.

I would love for our Buckeyes to make the playoff, but I could definitely be okay with a B1G championship and a NY6 win.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

I agree with Bleeding Red and have been saying it all along. With the most recent alignment by the committee, they have left the door wide open for Ohio State.

dazed&confused, no way both are left out. It will be the BIG10 Champ or Alabama.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

smurray wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:07 pm I agree with Bleeding Red and have been saying it all along. With the most recent alignment by the committee, they have left the door wide open for Ohio State.

dazed&confused, no way both are left out. It will be the BIG10 Champ or Alabama.
Wisky wins there in
If the bucks can come out Saturday night and hang one on wisky like the last time they met in this situation I like their chances of getting in. Bamas resume is not overly impressive
If the bucks win their top 3-4 wins are much better than bamas and they will be a conference champion

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

smurray wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:07 pm I agree with Bleeding Red and have been saying it all along. With the most recent alignment by the committee, they have left the door wide open for Ohio State.

Big Ten winner is in. Big 12 winner is in as long as its Oklahoma. TCU winning will throw Bama in there and rightfully so.

Pac12 is out regardless of who wins.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

cbolt wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:42 pm I bet a close loss won't drop Clemson out, they will give the defending champs much respect, but we will see. Clemson better beat them for Bucks sake or Miami win easy. Anybody know what is the lowest ranked team to ever jump up in the final 4 during the last week ? Also looks like PSU is nipping at their heels, we all saw what happen to them last year winning head to head and the championship and still snubbed. Could the committee be feeling bad after leaving them out last year? This is going to be good! Love to be a fly on the wall in that room.
great questions and points. 1st order of business is beatin bucky badger and see what shakes loose. dang at iowa game all to heck.
that should have never happened.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Agree with dazed they will have to win big! Alvarez said in 2014 the margin of victory they had in the BIG championship was definitely a factor in them getting in along with the Oklahoma win on the road, so yes they will have to win convincingly to have any shot imo because they are too far back in the rankings. Close win and I think bammer probably gets the nod and BIG champion (unless Wisky wins) is left out just like last year :(

Return to “College Sports”