SEC/ESPN

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

SEC/ESPN

Post by 1987chieftains »

I was surfing through ESPN's NCAA basketball section and it dawned on me that over half of the stories were about SEC teams. Then I wondered is the SEC that good this year or something? The SEC (outside of Kentucky) never is good or has a consist team in the top 25 or
"The Big Dance". I looked at the AP, Florida #5, Texas AM #7, and Tenn #24. But all of the recent stories from the SEC are about Bama, Auburn, Vandy. Bama and Auburn much have had 4-5 stories a piece. Bama and Auburn are terrible at hoops and always have been. The 5th ranked Gators have dropped the last 3 in a row........ How are they still in the top 5?
Florida lost to Duke 2 weeks ago and are ranked 5th. Kentucky lost to #4 Kansas a month ago are and are only ranked 8th. The same story for NC and a few other teams. It kinda sound and looks like cash strapped ESPN is pushing "They're Conference" in hopes of getting more $$$$ out of they're dark alley cash cow.

AT THE RESERVATION
Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Re: SEC/ESPN

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Surprisingly, the SEC seems to be a pretty good basketball conference this year. Auburn is sitting at 7-1, but they haven't played anybody yet. Mississippi State is 7-0, but again they haven't played anyone yet. Georgia is a much improved team this year. I can't really get a good feeling on Kentucky yet, but we know what they usually do. Texas A&M looks like they may be the real deal this year, better than they've been in a long time. Tennessee is a much improved team, they don't really have one guy that's amazing or anything, but they go about 10 deep and play hard. The reason you see all the stuff about Alabama is because they had that game where they had only 3 people on the court and almost won, but again, they are a much, much improved team with Avery as their head coach. Florida looked really good to start the season, but ever since they beat Gonzaga in OT, they have look horrendous.

Overall, the SEC is a very good conference this year. I would say that they'll challenge the ACC and Big East as the best conference.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

Wow, I really need to get into the Hoops season now that Football is drawing to a close.

AT THE RESERVATION
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

ESPN has a vested interest in the SEC via the SEC Network, but the SEC is loaded in basketball this year.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

SEC Network is owned by ESPN. So yeah they have major bias in coverage and analytical view for the SEC.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Bleeding Red wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:08 pm SEC Network is owned by ESPN. So yeah they have major bias in coverage and analytical view for the SEC.
I agree with that, but at least for this year, you have to consider how good the SEC is in basketball.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Chieftain2009 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:09 am
Bleeding Red wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:08 pm SEC Network is owned by ESPN. So yeah they have major bias in coverage and analytical view for the SEC.
I agree with that, but at least for this year, you have to consider how good the SEC is in basketball.
I think college sports are deceiving, just like football. With scheduling its sad that in football, after a 12 game season, we really dont know how good these top 10 teams are until the bowl games play out.

NCAA basketball is slightly better with scheduling given the B1G vs ACC match ups early on, etc.

But dont think for a second that ESPN is not promoting their own brand through their love of the SEC.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Bleeding Red wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:56 am
Chieftain2009 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:09 am
I think college sports are deceiving, just like football. With scheduling its sad that in football, after a 12 game season, we really dont know how good these top 10 teams are until the bowl games play out.

NCAA basketball is slightly better with scheduling given the B1G vs ACC match ups early on, etc.

But dont think for a second that ESPN is not promoting their own brand through their love of the SEC.
In basketball it's much easier to tell who the top teams are than it is in football, but I do agree that it can be deceiving at times. With basketball, they do have the long regular season, then the conference tournaments, then the 68 team field in the NCAA Tourny. The B1G vs. ACC challenge is great, in addition to that, there is a Big 12 vs. SEC challenge in January as well which I really like.

I do agree that ESPN is promoting their own brand with the SEC coverage, but I don't believe it's overkill, for maybe the first time ever in basketball.

Return to “College Sports”