Its all about winning

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Its all about winning

Post by Bleeding Red »

Let me start this out by saying that I dislike Nick Saban. He comes across as a wretched little punk.

However, two glaring things happened last night that you would never see Urban Meyer do. He benched his star SEC player of the year QB after 2 quarters of poor play and they came back and wont the CFP.

As much as I like Urban, he would never pull the trigger on JTB and it cost Buckeye Nation a shot in the CFP. As good as he was in that second half vs Penn State, he was equally as bad the entire game against Iowa.

To Saban's credit, he doesnt have to worry about QB controversy next Saturday and has an entire off season to figure out who his guy will be for next year.

The only difference in Bama and OSU over the past 5 years is not recruiting, talent, coaching staff, etc. Its the system that Saban runs where nobody on the team or part of the team is above the team's performance.

Unfortunately in a year that felt like the JTB farewell tour, it was all about JTB setting records and the team not growing offensively due to his inability to throw the ball down the field. Urban allowed it.

IMO Saban is the greatest coach in all of football. Urban is right there but his loyalty sometimes gets the best of him.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Re: Its all about winning

Post by dazed&confused »

What if the kid is Alabama's Cardell Jones? What if he struggles next year and Saban can't pick between the two?

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

All Hail Alabama and Nick Saban! 5 Nattys in 9 years! We all recognize his greatness and know that Dabo, Riley, Smart, and Urban are at least a half step behind. Yet as I get older, winning has become not quite as important as it once was. Conference championships and rivalry wins mean as much if not more than national championships. We all get miffed at the coaches and play calling. We get concerned over recruiting. We all become armchair head coaches. Yet it is all entertainment, not life or death. In the end, remember the old song: The seasons pass the years will roll. Time and change will surely show. How firm thy friendship ... OHIO!

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

Bleeding Red wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:46 am Let me start this out by saying that I dislike Nick Saban. He comes across as a wretched little punk.

However, two glaring things happened last night that you would never see Urban Meyer do. He benched his star SEC player of the year QB after 2 quarters of poor play and they came back and wont the CFP.

As much as I like Urban, he would never pull the trigger on JTB and it cost Buckeye Nation a shot in the CFP. As good as he was in that second half vs Penn State, he was equally as bad the entire game against Iowa.

To Saban's credit, he doesnt have to worry about QB controversy next Saturday and has an entire off season to figure out who his guy will be for next year.

The only difference in Bama and OSU over the past 5 years is not recruiting, talent, coaching staff, etc. Its the system that Saban runs where nobody on the team or part of the team is above the team's performance.

Unfortunately in a year that felt like the JTB farewell tour, it was all about JTB setting records and the team not growing offensively due to his inability to throw the ball down the field. Urban allowed it.

IMO Saban is the greatest coach in all of football. Urban is right there but his loyalty sometimes gets the best of him.
RED I AGREE WITH LITERALLY EVERYTHING YOU SAID. that took some stones, and he did it without blinking.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Omega wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:54 pm All Hail Alabama and Nick Saban! 5 Nattys in 9 years! We all recognize his greatness and know that Dabo, Riley, Smart, and Urban are at least a half step behind. Yet as I get older, winning has become not quite as important as it once was. Conference championships and rivalry wins mean as much if not more than national championships. We all get miffed at the coaches and play calling. We get concerned over recruiting. We all become armchair head coaches. Yet it is all entertainment, not life or death. In the end, remember the old song: The seasons pass the years will roll. Time and change will surely show. How firm thy friendship ... OHIO!
WHAT A GREAT POST.
THE LONGER I GET IN THE TOOTH, THE MORE I FEEL THE SAME.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Was reading where Lane Kiffin said the true freshman was going to transfer after this year because he thought he was the better QB all year long and Saban wasn't playing him.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

that may have prompted the change right there. what year will hurd be.
he may be the one transferring. it's a heckuva good problem to have.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Nick Saban was in a win-win situation in making the decision to pull his starting QB that was 25-2 for a freshmen that had attempted 50some throws all year! Alabama was already down two scores at half so worse case scenario after making the change if they did loose.... what the heck saban thought......if we loose I have the defense of saying "hey were struggling offensively and was trying anything to win the game" with also the thought of "hey if this kid does go out there and pull this off, it will look as the greatest coaching move in college football". Saban gets credit for the gutsy call , and he rightfully should, but think about it in a different light and it may seem to not have been as tough as a decision to make as it was made out to be...

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Bait I believe Hurts is a sophomore this year.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Then add the special team player from Alabama who threw a punch and should have been tossed from the game. Then the fit he threw on the sidelines. Which should have got him sent to the locker room by Saban.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I agree Saban continues to show, when it comes to game time decisions, he is the best.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

cbolt wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:11 pm Bait I believe Hurts is a sophomore this year.
that's what I thought but I wasn't sure bolt. that may have been the ballsiest coaching move mid-game that I've ever witnessed. and hurd could not have handled it any more professionally and humbly. I always though he was too girly and purty boy, but is amazingly talented. I have a new found respect for that young man. and the guy who was the relief pitcher. and the frosh that replaced him praised god at least 3/4 times. them's 2 young'uns that have been raised by awesome parents.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

farmer wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:08 pm Then add the special team player from Alabama who threw a punch and should have been tossed from the game. Then the fit he threw on the sidelines. Which should have got him sent to the locker room by Saban.
That was the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw him throwing that tantrum on the sideline, that Saban would send him to the lockers. Don't know why he didn't because usually Saban won't tolerate any BS.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Daboll now leaves as OC to go to the NFL Bills as OC. Seems Sabin wears out OC's

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Saban said almost every week. That he had 2 starting QB's and he would play one with hot hand. Except for the lost to Auburn what reason did he have to make a switch the entire year. The kid had played a few series that weren't mop up but not against good opponents. I hate Saban the same way i hated Bear Bryant, chuck knoll, the new york yankess and Micheal Jordan. Becasue they were on my team...LOL

Return to “College Sports”