What If No Starter Is Named? Joe Burrow Isn’t Sure

Omega
SEOPS H

What If No Starter Is Named? Joe Burrow Isn’t Sure

Post by Omega »

From the OZONE:

Burrow in QB limbo ?

After Ohio State’s spring game, quarterback Joe Burrow was peppered with what-if scenarios. Reporters were trying to get a feel for any slight direction he could be leaning.

As a soon-to-be Ohio State graduate, Burrow has options that most players do not have. He can leave OSU following graduation and be eligible to play somewhere else this season.

Since the Big Ten Championship Game last December, Burrow has stated that he would have a decision to make following spring football. He wants to be the Buckeyes’ starting quarterback. If that can’t happen, however, then he wants to be a starting quarterback somewhere.

Just as third-year running back Antonio Williams announced his intentions to transfer in order to find playing time, Burrow could do the same if he’s not comfortable with his standing.

Earlier in the spring, Urban Meyer said that he hoped to have a decision at the quarterback position for both the team’s benefit and Burrow’s benefit. As of last week, however, no decision had been made by Meyer or his offensive coordinators.

With his options open, the question arises whether he would have to be named the starter or simply have nobody named the starter yet.

“That would be a discussion in the meetings that we have,” Burrow said. “I’m not sure yet. Again, I’m happy with how I played and I’m happy with how the situation was handled this spring.”

And what happens if no decision can be made because things are too close to call?

“I would have to have conversations with my family and still my coaches and my friends that I’m close to and I would have to make a decision,” he said.

Burrow — and fellow quarterbacks Dwayne Haskins and Tate Martell — made the most of the competition this spring. He believes it has made him a better quarterback having gone through such a hotly-contested spring camp.

“Absolutely it has,” he said. “It’s really been tough on us to stay close as friends and as quarterbacks. I think I’ve grown as a person. I definitely think that the competition has brought out the best in me as a player.”

Burrow isn’t the only one who has seen his growth as a quarterback.

“Joe has gone from — he has to be one of the most improved quarterbacks as far as delivery speed and arm,” Meyer said. “He’s always been a very smart, tough guy and a very good leader, but his improvement is very notable over the last, really couple of years. That started a couple years ago. You see the ball coming out much faster.”

The increase in arm strength certainly helps in a competition against somebody like Haskins. Burrow has closed the gap in that regard, and he believes his leadership, intangibles, and toughness may ultimately separate him in this competition.

“I think if they were to go with me, that would be the area that put me over the top,” he said. “Obviously, Dwayne has an arm that you don’t see a lot. I have a pretty darn good arm too, but I think my leadership and my intangibles really came alive this spring.”

Transfer talk surrounded Burrow before he acknowledged the possibilities last December. He has heard it for years. He is hoping to prove each of his doubters wrong. He understands, however, that only one quarterback is going to play, and the decision is not going to be easy.

“I’ve heard for three years that I’m never gonna play here and I’m going to end up transferring,” he said. “I’m ‘not good enough to play here.’ I just sit back and put my nose to the grindstone and work. That’s what I’ve done for three years and I think I’ve come a long way.

“But that’s the nature of the quarterback position. You can only have one guy play. You can be a really good quarterback and still sit on the bench.”

https://theozone.net/2018/04/no-starter ... -not-sure/

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Re: What If No Starter Is Named? Joe Burrow Isn’t Sure

Post by Bleeding Red »

It was a good decision for Antonio Williams to transfer. He is behind too many talented RBs at tOSU (Dobbins, Webber, McCall and now Teague).

I personally dont see Burrow sticking around. Meyer tends to not show his hand when it comes to naming a starter at any position when the race is close. I think the QB competition will go into the fall camp and Burrow will leave due to not getting a direct answer on his playing time.

We are set with Haskins. People still forget what the man did against ttun last November, down by 6 in the middle of the 3rd quarter and we ended up winning by 11 (17 unanswered points and the offense moved the ball at will against a top 10 defense with Haskins running the show) in a very loud and hostile environment. I have been to several games in Ann Arbor and the crowd was, by far, the loudest I have ever heard it at the Big House when Haskins came into the game.

That showing will go a long way for him. Not knocking Burrow, but the times I saw him come in during mop up duty last year looked very dismantled and sort of depressed.

I still think its best for him to transfer to a school that he can play at right away. He has talent to play somewhere but I dont think tOSU is a good fit for him at this point. Its hard to jump a guy who has an NFL arm and can still make good decisions and run when needed.

If Burrow was quicker and a little better runner, it would be a slam dunk for Meyer's zone read offense and a no brainer to start him. He definitely doesnt lack the arm but I dont think he is quick enough and good enough runner to run that offense at tOSU. When it comes down to throwing the ball Haskins is just that much better in game situations.

Campbell, McClaurin, Johnny Dixon.....all of those guys came back this year to make plays. With JT gone they know the ball is going to get thrown to them and give them a chance to shine. Whether it be Haskins or Burrow, tOSU has the RB's, Line and WRs to be totally dominant this season.

Go Bucks.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

THIS MAY BE URBAN'S WAY OF KEEPING HIM AROUND TILL IT'S TOO LATE FOR HIM TO TRANSFER, THUS BANKING HIM FOR THE BUCKS.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

Sounds sorta like the same thing that was happening with Patrick Angle when he was at YSU. Doing or saying just enough to keep them around to suit their (the coaches) needs not the needs of the student athlete.

AT THE RESERVATION
cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

I think you guys may be onto something. Meyer is also known to like to play possum, keeping his opponents guessing on what they might see. Haskins did shine in the TTUN game but we only seen him when teams didn't game plan for him during the week. I have seen time and again where QBS look good on short notice then not so good when teams have time to prepare for them. Everyone thought ole 12 gauge was going to tear it up the year after they won Natty but it didn't happen. Hopefully Haskins won't fall into that trap. Burrow really hasn't had a chance in real game situations so we don't know what he can do yet, but if I was betting money Haskins would be the one Meyer is thinking of.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

I'd say he splits time between the two depending on the opponent (just to save face & keep Joe happy). But Meyer really want Haskins at QB. In other words hes buying time until Joe is gone. Which is too bad BC as much as I hate athens & o$u. I hate to see a local kid get the shaft.

AT THE RESERVATION
Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

cbolt wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:02 pm I think you guys may be onto something. Meyer is also known to like to play possum, keeping his opponents guessing on what they might see. Haskins did shine in the TTUN game but we only seen him when teams didn't game plan for him during the week. I have seen time and again where QBS look good on short notice then not so good when teams have time to prepare for them. Everyone thought ole 12 gauge was going to tear it up the year after they won Natty but it didn't happen. Hopefully Haskins won't fall into that trap. Burrow really hasn't had a chance in real game situations so we don't know what he can do yet, but if I was betting money Haskins would be the one Meyer is thinking of.
You mean like Cardale in 2014?

Come on Bolt......Haskins has the arm we need and no need to have a running QB with the talent of offense to get the ball to.........I am a Burrow fan too, but you dont realize the playing pressure in that stadium last year. The crowd noise was off the chart for the Big House. The ttun and fans tasted blood and he shut them up.

He ran the same passing plays that JTB did that day and the only difference is that Haskins can make the throws and also hit WR's in stride and let them get yards after the catch.

It was the exact same offense that ttun prepared for all year. The only difference was inserting a QB that could make the throws.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

I agree with most of what you said and might have been same offense but preparing for QB who would rather run and then seeing a QB who would rather throw is a whole different animal for a defense to prepare for. TTUN probably committed to having less DBS and having spies that week with Barretts threat as a runner. I am confident they were thinking if they could stop Barrett's running they would win. We will see. If he makes it up to the TTUN game and still hasn't been benched I think its safe to say he is the real deal.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

cbolt wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:47 pm I agree with most of what you said and might have been same offense but preparing for QB who would rather run and then seeing a QB who would rather throw is a whole different animal for a defense to prepare for. TTUN probably committed to having less DBS and having spies that week with Barretts threat as a runner. I am confident they were thinking if they could stop Barrett's running they would win. We will see. If he makes it up to the TTUN game and still hasn't been benched I think its safe to say he is the real deal.
You just confirmed my overall point. Vs JTB they only had to stop the run because he couldn't throw well (consistently). So the same offense with a Qb who has an accurate arm works.

I can't wait to see how well it works when its balanced and we dont just throw on obvious passing situations

Return to “College Sports”