What if Urban is gone?

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

What if Urban is gone?

Post by Bleeding Red »

Just speculation as I see him coming back next week. BUT......with the current coaching staff this could be a blessing in disguise if Urban is in fact covering up tons of stuff and is gone.

This is probably the most dynamic offense tOSU has possibly ever had. Dobbins, Weber, McCall at RB and Hback, Victor, Hill, McLaurin, Dixon, Saunders, Campbell and Austin Mack at the receiver position and an offensive line that could probably be rolled 2 deep during every game. Oh and a QB that is an NFL pocket passer that can make virtually any throw.

So if Meyer is gone, I have a feeling that Kevin Wilson/Day will (for the most part) scrap the zone read and run primarily a pro style variation of the spread like we saw with Cardale in 2014.

On the defensive side, the D line may very well be the best in the country. The interior D line is nasty (and deep) and the DE's are completely nasty with Bosa and Chase Young. Very deep at that position as well. The defensive backfield will be much better than last year IMO and that is saying something. The big question mark is LB. If Tough Borland is able to go and Browning and Harrison live up to the hype, they should be more athletic in covering the backs and TE's in space which was the big issue at that position last year. And dont forget Booker who could also have a standout year.

If Meyer is gone, look for that defensive line to get very aggressive under Johnson's direction.

Schiano is a very good defensive coach and Larry Johnson is such a good D line coach that he could probably get a DC job at ANY power 5 school if he wanted it.

After saying all of that, my point being that the defense should be better than last year and the offense could also be better IF (big IF) Meyer would happen to either resign or get canned. I feel that the offense would open up a bit and be a complete juggernaut for opposing defenses to slow down if Kevin Wilson is given complete control of the play calling and not restricted due to so many QB runs that we saw with JT.

Just food for thought. I think either way, we are in good shape. In fact, if Meyer doesnt return, it might be a blessing in disguise.

countywide35
SEOP

Re: What if Urban is gone?

Post by countywide35 »

if Meyer does get removed from the OSU staff; like to see Tom Herman on the first flight out of Austin landing back in Columbus!

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Gopher
Varsity

Post by Gopher »

What makes you think that if Urban is gone that they will stop there ? How many others on the coaching staff knew about it but kept their mouths shut?

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Good point Gopher. Supposedly all the coaches wives knew of allegations of abuse from reports, so that means most likely the hubby's knew too, that would can them if true. I don't think it will happen though. At first I thought Meyer was gone but now leaning he will be back. He makes the school too much money. Be hard to find another one like him, although stranger things have happened. Never thought they would can Tress either.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Gopher wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:18 am What makes you think that if Urban is gone that they will stop there ? How many others on the coaching staff knew about it but kept their mouths shut?
If this evolves into an academics versus football battle for control of the university's brand, mass firings, including Gene Smith, are possible.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Gopher
Varsity

Post by Gopher »

Dang! I am having flashbacks of Jeb’s Mom and we all know how that worked out for him.

Return to “College Sports”