OHIO STATE NO. 5 IN ASSOCIATED PRESS PRESEASON POLL

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

The ranking is meaningless as it is preseason, but of interest are stats regarding historical rankings:

FOOTBALL
ROSTER SCHEDULE STATS NEWS ARCHIVE FOOTBALL ARCHIVE RECRUITING PHOTOS
AUGUST 20, 2018
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Associated Press preseason Top 25 football poll was released today and the Ohio State Buckeyes will open the season Sept. 1 against Oregon State as the No. 5 team in the nation. This is the fifth time in the past six seasons the Buckeyes have opened the season ranked among the Top 5 teams in the country, after rankings of Nos. 2, 5, 1, 6 and 2 between the 2013-2017 seasons, respectively.

This is the 83rd season for the Associated Press to produce its college football poll. Ohio State leads the nation in total number of times ranked with this preseason ranking the 885th ranking for Ohio State through the years out of the 1,136 polls.

Ohio State’s 2018 schedule features four preseason AP Top 25 teams: No. 10 Penn State, No. 11 Michigan State, No. 14 Michigan and No. 16 TCU.

Most Appearances in AP Top 25
Includes 2018 AP Preseason Poll
1. 885 – Ohio State
2. 833 – Michigan
3. 785 – Oklahoma
4. 783 – Notre Dame
5. 778 – Alabama
6. 766 – USC
7. 729 – Nebraska
8. 709 – Texas
9. 614 – Penn State
10. 602 – LSU

http://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/ohio-state ... ason-poll/

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Re: OHIO STATE NO. 5 IN ASSOCIATED PRESS PRESEASON POLL

Post by Chieftain2009 »

The number of appearances in the top 25 is crazy! You could consider that as saying that OSU is the most consistent team in the history of college football. They have 52 more appearances than #2, and 100 more appearances than #3.

Back to the rankings. No surprise that Bama starts at #1, even though they lost two stud linebacker's for possibly the whole season.

Big Ten is getting quite a big of love. 3 teams in the top 10, and 5 in the top 15. Wisconsin has a lot of respect this preseason, and that doesn't surprise me at all. Returning one of the best RB's in the nation (if not the best), all 5 offensive lineman and a rapidly improving QB.

That TCU game for Ohio State was definitely a good scheduling job. Big Ten teams only get 3 non-conference games, compared to 4 in other conferences (and FCS) teams, I love the scheduling of TCU, ranked #16. Four of OSU's games, the opponent is ranked in the top 16 in the nation (preseason), and Wisconsin is #4, who is a potential matchup in the Big Ten Championship.

Northwestern and Iowa are also receiving a few votes in the preseason poll.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

I like tOSU ranked #5 rather than one of the top 3 spots.

They always play better with a chip on their shoulder and they have plenty of chips on their shoulders right now.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I agree red. and I think the urban situation creates a lot of reason for concern and lack of optimism in the voter's eyes. I think it's a great place to start out myself. we just can't have another iowa game this year. and most magazines are rating the big ten east as the hardest conference, followed by the sec part with bama n auburn.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS

Return to “College Sports”