Urban Meyer Suspended For Three Games

Omega
SEOPS H

Urban Meyer Suspended For Three Games

Post by Omega »

Per 11 Warriors, Meyer keeps job but is suspended for first three games.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-sta ... -suspended

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Omega
SEOPS H

Re: Urban Meyer Suspended For Three Games

Post by Omega »

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

Boy this press conference and Urban reading his statement with his head down not too convincing. I see no real contrition.

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

I'll take it

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

They need a course on public relations 101

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

I can guess the decision came down to what was perceived as lack of institutional control of the football coaching staff by Meyer and AD Smith. Harboring a known problem child in Zach Smith who should have never been hired in the first place. I believe the technicalities of he said/she said, reporting of the incidents to superiors, or police records figured heavily in the decision not to terminate Meyer. Yet there was the matter of "control" and the reputation of the University, thus the suspension. Meyer's Achilles heel is the extreme but misplaced loyalty to the Earl Bruce family, who Zach Smith was a member of. The football season can now proceed without further damage. Future recruiting may be a problem with Meyer being on a short leash.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Meyers superior Gene Smith knew of the allegations in 2015, what else was Meyer to do?
Gene Smith should be gone and Meyer reinstated now - he has sat for three weeks.
You could tell Urban was not happy at all and probably didn't agree with the suspension - most likely why it took 12 hours to get to this point today.

Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

Gene Smith Is a mess. They need to part ways with Smith and move on from this whole mess of a situation. A lot of other teams fans will be hammering Ohio State and their fans about this for years. But Buckeye fans have the thickest skin. Sooner or later it will blow over.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Below is a link to a pdf of the investigation committee's report. I know the report does not have CSI like ironclad criminal evidence, but it does show a pattern of poor judgement by Meyer and G. Smith in handling Zach Smith and his problems. One could say that both Meyer and Gene Smith are fortunate not to have been fired.

https://t.co/0woXUins5h

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

Win at all costs.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

Urban Meyer got the Woody Hayes exemption. Short of punching an opposing player on national TV, he will not be fired. In addition to this, the skeleton of Zeke Elliott abuse accusations is in this background. Just win, Baby! Al Davis is now coaching tOSU. If this happened under John Cooper, he would've been gone last year. Jim Tressel has to be asking, "I got fired for covering up tatoo-gate?" Let's just all admit as OSU fans that it's about the program. Let's not talk about the signs in Woody about responsibility and respecting women. It's about the W's. I'm willing to go down that road but at least lets admit it instead of pretending it's about molding young men and leadership. That's all I'm saying because I know a lot of OSU fans on here will come at me.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

My problem with this is you guys are looking this as a fan Point of view not a human Point of view. I don’t care what they did or did not do to urban. My problem is the people who say he did nothing wrong. If you knew your neighbor was abusing his wife and say you notified a cop once. If you knew in correct behavior continued to happen there and did not continue to blow whistle or do what you could. If he ended up killing her. Would you be like I reported it once what else could I do.

The problem here is you are also in charge of helping shape young men. Is this the example you would want other young men to take. I think the answer is no.

Look I don’t know what punishment should of been maybe nothing maybe termination but you people that said he did everything he could or did nothing wrong. I question your character and the fiber of what is right and wrong

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

svac83 wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:24 am My problem with this is you guys are looking this as a fan Point of view not a human Point of view. I don’t care what they did or did not do to urban. My problem is the people who say he did nothing wrong. If you knew your neighbor was abusing his wife and say you notified a cop once. If you knew in correct behavior continued to happen there and did not continue to blow whistle or do what you could. If he ended up killing her. Would you be like I reported it once what else could I do.

The problem here is you are also in charge of helping shape young men. Is this the example you would want other young men to take. I think the answer is no.

Look I don’t know what punishment should of been maybe nothing maybe termination but you people that said he did everything he could or did nothing wrong. I question your character and the fiber of what is right and wrong
👍👍👍👏👏👏

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

dazed&confused wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:21 am Urban Meyer got the Woody Hayes exemption. Short of punching an opposing player on national TV, he will not be fired. In addition to this, the skeleton of Zeke Elliott abuse accusations is in this background. Just win, Baby! Al Davis is now coaching tOSU. If this happened under John Cooper, he would've been gone last year. Jim Tressel has to be asking, "I got fired for covering up tatoo-gate?" Let's just all admit as OSU fans that it's about the program. Let's not talk about the signs in Woody about responsibility and respecting women. It's about the W's. I'm willing to go down that road but at least lets admit it instead of pretending it's about molding young men and leadership. That's all I'm saying because I know a lot of OSU fans on here will come at me.
I am sick of hearing your rants. You are the most pessimistic person on this forum. There is no more proof that CS was abused throughout a $500k investigation as there was when they started.

Bringing Woody into this? Zeke? Al Davis and Jim Tressel? They have no bearing to any of this other than your pitiful, spiteful attitude.

Not respecting women? Are you deaf or lazy? Because you either didnt care to listen to the overall findings or too lazy to look. The investigating committee found that UM goes above and beyond in his approach and training to others (coaches and players) to ensure that respecting women is at the top of the list.

Do you have any other straws that you'd like to start grasping for?

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

svac83 wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:24 am My problem with this is you guys are looking this as a fan Point of view not a human Point of view. I don’t care what they did or did not do to urban. My problem is the people who say he did nothing wrong. If you knew your neighbor was abusing his wife and say you notified a cop once. If you knew in correct behavior continued to happen there and did not continue to blow whistle or do what you could. If he ended up killing her. Would you be like I reported it once what else could I do.

I stopped reading at "IF YOU KNEW YOUR NEIGHBOR...."

Total allegations and EVERY key witness had zero proof that these allegations were true. Quite the opposite actually. Even her own mother said she was making this up for revenge for Zach cheating on her, that she needed "professional" help and had mental issues.

KNOWING and THINKING/ASSUMING are two totally different things.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

smurray wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:13 pm Meyers superior Gene Smith knew of the allegations in 2015, what else was Meyer to do?
Gene Smith should be gone and Meyer reinstated now - he has sat for three weeks.
You could tell Urban was not happy at all and probably didn't agree with the suspension - most likely why it took 12 hours to get to this point today.
Totally agree. Drake is going to have a short career as President, UM will be back and Gene is on a shorter leash.

I think it took 12 hours because UM was totally against ANY for of punishment on top of time already served. There are zero finding that show a cause in his contract for termination over the 2015 allegations.

He did what he was supposed to do and reported it up. Gene didnt report it to Compliance so they both get punished. Completely unfair.

I believe that UM took the suspension to keep Gene employed. For some odd reason, I think they have a great working relationship and he ate part of Gene's turd sandwich for him so that Gene didnt get canned.

Urban was not happy and it is well known that only one part of those meetings wanted him suspeneded.....Pres. Drake.

The BOT wanted him reinstated immediately. I dont think this story ends well for Drake. And the guy sounds like a homeless man in front of a camera.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

Yea just one. Urban Meyer is a great coach but his appearance last night was despicable. Nothing that happened there builds his reputation. And the last time I checked it was a free country and everyone is entitled to an opinion. I expressed mine, you expressed yours. I won't slink away because my opinion goes in an opposite direction of the majority on here (from Ohio) who believe the ends justify the means. If Urban reported to me (and I do have professional people who report to me), I would fire him this morning for that "performance". Like I said, come at me. Not going anywhere. I just said admit wins count more than anything. Get off your soapbox and admit it.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

dazed&confused wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:50 am Yea just one. Urban Meyer is a great coach but his appearance last night was despicable. Nothing that happened there builds his reputation. And the last time I checked it was a free country and everyone is entitled to an opinion. I expressed mine, you expressed yours. I won't slink away because my opinion goes in an opposite direction of the majority on here (from Ohio) who believe the ends justify the means. If Urban reported to me (and I do have professional people who report to me), I would fire him this morning for that "performance". Like I said, come at me. Not going anywhere. I just said admit wins count more than anything. Get off your soapbox and admit it.
The domestic violence situation actually has become background noise in the UFM saga. Yet that background noise has/will damage the reputation of both the coach and University, and as one gets older, you realize that having a good reputation is more important in life than a winning football program. Both Meyer and Gene Smith are fortunate not to have been terminated and I would not be surprised if both resign from OSU at season's end.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

Woody Hayes..."You win with people."

Urban Meyer..."Could you repeat that question?"

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

I think it's pretty ignorant assuming that every OSU fans go by the saying of "win at all costs" or "wins count more than anything"

Return to “College Sports”