I Did Not Know This: One Point Safety

Omega
SEOPS H

I Did Not Know This: One Point Safety

Post by Omega »

I did not know this even though I had a high school football referee card way, way back in the day

From Wikipedia (excerpt):

Conversion safeties (one-point safeties)

Scored by the offense Edit

In American football, if a team attempting an extra point or two-point conversion (officially known in the rulebooks as a try) scores what would normally be a safety, that attempting team is awarded one point. That is commonly known as a conversion safety or one-point safety and it can be scored by the offense. There are at least two known occurrences of the conversion safety in Division I college football – a November 26, 2004 game in which Texas scored against Texas A&M, and the 2013 Fiesta Bowl in which Oregon scored against Kansas State. In both games, the point-after-touchdown kick was blocked, recovered by the defense, which then fumbled or threw the ball back into its own end zone. Coincidentally, play-by-play commentator Brad Nessler of the ESPN family of networks (currently with CBS) called both of these games. There are also two known NCAA Division III occurrences, the first being on November 11, 2000 against St. Thomas-Minnesota and Hamline University and the most recent against Bluffton University and Franklin College (Indiana) which took place on November 9, 2013.No conversion safeties have been scored in the NFL since 1940, although it is now slightly more likely after the rule change in 2015 which allowed the defense to take possession and score on a conversion attempt. Before 2015, the only scenario in which a one-point safety could have been scored in the NFL would have involved the defense kicking or batting a loose ball out the back of its own end zone without taking possession of the ball. After the 2015 rule change, a one-point safety can also be scored after the defense takes possession and fumbles out of its own end zone or is tackled in the end zone after leaving it, as in the NCAA.

Scored by the defense

In college football and the NFL, a conversion safety can also be scored by the defense, though this has never occurred. To accomplish this, the team attempting the try would need to retreat all the way back to its own end zone. This is wildly implausible; it has been hypothesized that, perhaps, such a scenario would involve a turnover on a two-point conversion attempt, followed by a defensive player fumbling while en route to the attempting team's end zone, with the attempting team finally recovering the ball and downing it in its end zone. While such a conversion safety has never been scored by the defense, it is the only possible way under current rules in which a team could finish with a single point in an American football game.It is possible to simulate a defensive one-point safety in Madden NFL.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_ ... all_score)

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: I Did Not Know This: One Point Safety

Post by danicalifornia »

I played enough of the old NCAA Football games that I found that out and thought it was hilarious. Good stuff.

Return to “College Sports”