Source: Ohio State discussing plan to make Ryan Day coach-in-waiting

Omega
SEOPS H

Source: Ohio State discussing plan to make Ryan Day coach-in-waiting

Post by Omega »

I have never been a fan of "coach in waiting" deals as I cannot remember one that ever truly worked except maybe Jimbo Fisher at FSU. Winning three games as an interim leader does not make for being a great head coach. However Day seems to have the intangible likeability and public relations skills that Urban Meyer seems to have lost.

If this story is correct, it would seem Urban Meyer's continued tenure at Ohio State may be numbered despite UFM's profession of love for all things OSU. Too me, Meyer's situation has evolved into one of who controls the University's brand, the football program or Dr. Drake and the academicians.

Excerpt from the Athletic (apologies for pay wall):

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Before Urban Meyer walked out of St. John Arena on Saturday to lead his team into Ohio Stadium to play Tulane, he said what he has been saying since the day he took over at Ohio State more than six years ago: “The best thing about being 3-0 is the chance to go 4-0.”

Ohio State was 3-0 because of Ryan Day.

Important people know that. A person close to the program told The Athletic that senior university officials have begun discussions about a “coach-in-waiting” arrangement, meaning he would be Meyer’s eventual successor as Buckeyes coach. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because the discussions are in progress. Day doesn’t have any head-coaching experience but did have a three-game trial run as Ohio State’s interim coach.

Day, 39, received a three-year deal and a raise before this season, which isn’t typical for Buckeyes assistants. That was Ohio State’s attempt to keep...

https://theathletic.com/541669/2018/09/ ... n-waiting/

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Source: Ohio State discussing plan to make Ryan Day coach-in-waiting

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

that would be awesome. but we all seed how that worked out for bud foster at va. tech. he carried frank beamers lunch box for all them years. has an amazing run at the d. coordinator. and was named the coach in waiting. and then them pesky ole hokies choose coach justin Fuentes anyhoo.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Re: Source: Ohio State discussing plan to make Ryan Day coach-in-waiting

Post by Bleeding Red »

Urban acted like it was new news to him when asked how he felt about "coaches in waiting" during his pressure. Urban is also very slow to show his hand so I dont think we will really know for sure until after the season is over. If Day is still on staff and doesnt accept another head coaching offer, its safe to say that he might have been given the coach in waiting deal.

Return to “College Sports”