Maryland fires football coach DJ Durkin day after his reinstatement

Omega
SEOPS H

Maryland fires football coach DJ Durkin day after his reinstatement

Post by Omega »

Well it is Halloween. Strange tug of war between the ruling powers at Maryland versus players, fans and media. I guess the latter got their pound of flesh and probably deservedly so.

From E$PN

Maryland has fired football coach DJ Durkin one day after his reinstatement, the school announced Wednesday evening.

In a statement, president Wallace D. Loh said, "Yesterday, the University System of Maryland Board of Regents announced numerous recommendations, including employment decisions about specific personnel on our campus. I accepted the Board's recommendations. At the same time, I announced my retirement as president in June 2019.

"Since returning to campus after yesterday's press conference, I have met with the leadership of the Student Government Association speaking on behalf of numerous student organizations; the Senate Executive Committee; Deans; department chairs; and campus leadership. The overwhelming majority of stakeholders expressed serious concerns about Coach DJ Durkin returning to the campus.

Maryland accepts responsibility in McNair death
The University of Maryland has parted ways with assistant AD for sports performance Rick Court in the wake of "mistakes" that led to the death of Jordan McNair.

"The chair of the Board of Regents has publicly acknowledged that I had previously raised serious concerns about Coach Durkin's return. This is not at all a reflection of my opinion of Coach Durkin as a person. However, a departure is in the best interest of the University, and this afternoon Coach Durkin was informed that the University will part ways.

"This is a difficult decision, but it is the right one for our entire University. I will devote the remaining months of my presidency to advancing the needed reforms in our Athletic Department that prioritize the safety and well-being of our student-athletes."

A Maryland player told ESPN's Tom VanHaaren that athletic director Damon Evans informed the team Durkin was fired in a team meeting. The player said no one asked any questions.

The team was told that Matt Canada remains the interim coach. Maryland is 5-3 heading into Saturday's game against Michigan State.

Durkin, on paid administrative leave since Aug. 11, had been reinstated on Tuesday, following two separate investigations into the football program and five meetings and calls between the 17-member board of regents following the June 13 death of 19-year-old offensive lineman Jordan McNair from heatstroke he suffered at a May 29 workout.

The decision to reinstate Durkin had been met with outrage and protests by students, politicians, McNair's family members, and even some of the players themselves.

"I feel like I've been punched in the stomach, and somebody spit in my face," said Marty McNair, Jordan's father, who thought the USM board would "do the right thing."

Ellis McKennie, an offensive lineman for the Terrapins, tweeted his displeasure with Durkin's reinstatement on Tuesday night.

"Every Saturday my teammates and I have to kneel before the memorial of our fallen teammate. Yet a group of people do not have the courage to hold anyone accountable for his death. If only they could have the courage that Jordan had. It's never the wrong time to do what's right."

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan issued a statement questioning whether the university had done enough on Tuesday and on Wednesday doubled down, demanding that the decision be reconsidered.

Durkin went 10-15 in his two seasons as coach of the Terrapins, including a loss in the Quick Lane Bowl in 2016. He was hired by Maryland to succeed Randy Edsall in December 2015 after serving as defensive coordinator under Jim Harbaugh at Michigan. Prior to that, he was on the staff at Florida under Will Muschamp and Urban Meyer, who gave Durkin his first coaching job at Bowling Green.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... wake-probe

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Omega
SEOPS H

Re: Maryland fires football coach DJ Durkin day after his reinstatement

Post by Omega »

Funny that Urban Meyer's name pops up again in hiring a coach who runs into trouble.

The General
All State

Post by The General »

How in the hell could Mary EVER think they could keep him?....My question is why in the hell they would have EVER hired him?

It is TRULY amazing that a place like OSU with all the buzz and political clout who should be above the fray would EVER keep a guy like Urban Meyer....Amazing!!!...lol.....The" Investigation " was a sham :lol: And Ignorant meyer and ohio HOMERS still want to believe that the controversy surrounding this phony ass-hole is about Zach Smith!!..What a joke....

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Word out was many players walked out as Durkin was giving his first speech back. When this situation came up after Urban it was not giving the media outrage because it was Maryland not Ohio State. The player for Maryland died did not have to die. Also brought up some problems. Matt Canada has done a wonderful job in getting Maryland to 5-3. When the players came together trusting that those who have done wrong were out. To think that only 8 games was enough then forget then move on. The Board that recommended Durkin stay on also needs to go.

The General
All State

Post by The General »

farmer wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:47 pm Word out was many players walked out as Durkin was giving his first speech back. When this situation came up after Urban it was not giving the media outrage because it was Maryland not Ohio State. The player for Maryland died did not have to die. Also brought up some problems. Matt Canada has done a wonderful job in getting Maryland to 5-3. When the players came together trusting that those who have done wrong were out. To think that only 8 games was enough then forget then move on. The Board that recommended Durkin stay on also needs to go.
Yes!!

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

Nice look! Remind me again why the B1G took Maryland? Oh yea, TV $$$

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Too add insult to injury:

From the Chicago Tribune(excerpt):

In the wake of University of Maryland football coach DJ Durkin's brief reinstatement Tuesday, discord in the football program erupted in an altercation between team players.

Matthew Barber, a 21-year-old backup punter, who has spoken out against the culture of the program, said he was assaulted at the end of practice Tuesday by a fellow player who supported Durkin.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/c ... story.html

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

Ok, so if another big name coach, say nick Saban, has a player collapse and die of heat stroke, will he be held accountable? All coaches and strength coaches push their players to a breaking point. Saban even says it on that ESPN doc roll tide. What happened was a travesty , but for the media to just blast a university and coaching staff allowed the rest to blow this way up!
McNair was not the first to die and unfortunately will not be the last. A standard has been set and if you are a coach you just hope it doesn't happen on your watch!

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

To blame the help that a person/player needs when they show signs of heat stroke were not given to the player. The trainers and the coaches have been trained to notice the signs. Then to offer aid as needed. This is not the time of when Korey Stringer died in 2001. Then for Saban to say what he said is much like the cigarette makers not caring if someone dies. Instead of asking football people talk to medical people. Many of these universities have hospitals so they need to use their knowledge to guide the medical practice on the field. Not let the mighty dollar control the win at all costs. You see players die but you do not see coaches die. There now is medical staff on sideline during games to check out players for concussions.

Now the head of Maryland Board of Regents has resigned.

Return to “College Sports”