How The Ohio State Buckeyes Make The Playoff

burgfella69
JV Team

How The Ohio State Buckeyes Make The Playoff

Post by burgfella69 »

Ranked by level of importance.

1. Win Out. Remaining Schedule: Maryland, Michigan, Northwestern*
2. Alabama wins out. Would knock out Georgia and LSU. If Georgia wins, you can count out OSU as the Committee is very SEC biased.
NOTE: Clemson will win out, so no mention of them here.
3 and 4 can be interchanged, only one of these scenarios needs to happen
3. Oklahoma loses to WVU. Gives OSU better shot. Would be better if WVU lost as well to someone like Okla State or in the Big 12 championship game. OU and WVU each beat each other to put the Big 12 out of the playoff, wouldn't that be a sight :lol:
4. Notre Dame loses to Syracuse, which would put the Irish out as they don't have a conf. championship game and their schedule was rather weak this year.
This puts the rankings as either
1. Alabama 2. Clemson 3. Notre Dame 4. Ohio State/WVU. According to FiveThirtyEight, OSU has better chances than WVU to make the playoff given these circumstances in this scenario.

OR

1. Alabama 2. Clemson 3. Oklahoma 4. Ohio State. The scenario of Notre Dame losing will all but guarantee OSU a playoff spot if they win out.

On the subject of Washington State, FiveThirtyEight estimates it is highly unlikely they will win out. I think they'll lose to Washington. Even if they do, FTE estimates that Ohio State will have a much better chance than WSU at getting the four spot in either of the two scenarios above (3 and 4). In scenario 3, Alabama and Clemson have 99+% chance of making the playoff. Notre Dame is listed at 64%, which is way too low. If ND is undefeated, they will make it. Ohio State is actually listed at 74% chance to make the CFP, with WVU and WSU at 32% each.

In scenario 4, Alabama and Clemson's chances did not change. Oklahoma would be at 85%, OSU at 69%, and WSU at just 41%.

All of these scenarios can be played out at https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/20 ... edictions/

baseball16
All Conference

Re: How The Ohio State Buckeyes Make The Playoff

Post by baseball16 »

Who in their "right" mind wants to see OSU get in the playoff, more than likely as a 4 seed, and then play Bama in the Semi final? Can you say beat down? I'm an OSU fan and really don't want to see this! I would rather OSU get matched up against WVU or Notre Dame and Try and shut these fans mouth up more than anything. OSU cannot beat Bama or Clemson! It would be embarrassing.

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

baseball16 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:07 pm Who in their "right" mind wants to see OSU get in the playoff, more than likely as a 4 seed, and then play Bama in the Semi final? Can you say beat down? I'm an OSU fan and really don't want to see this! I would rather OSU get matched up against WVU or Notre Dame and Try and shut these fans mouth up more than anything. OSU cannot beat Bama or Clemson! It would be embarrassing.
I don't see OSU beating Michigan. But, if they do win out, I would argue Ohio State is better than advertised.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

burgfella69 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:43 am Ranked by level of importance.

2. Alabama wins out. Would knock out Georgia and LSU. If Georgia wins, you can count out OSU as the Committee is very SEC biased.
3. Oklahoma loses to WVU. Gives OSU better shot. Would be better if WVU lost as well to someone like Okla State or in the Big 12 championship game. OU and WVU each beat each other to put the Big 12 out of the playoff, wouldn't that be a sight :lol:
4. Notre Dame loses to Syracuse, which would put the Irish out as they don't have a conf. championship game and their schedule was rather weak this year.
1. Alabama 2. Clemson 3. Notre Dame 4. Ohio State/WVU. According to FiveThirtyEight, OSU has better chances than WVU to make the playoff given these circumstances in this scenario.

OR

1. Alabama 2. Clemson 3. Oklahoma 4. Ohio State. The scenario of Notre Dame losing will all but guarantee OSU a playoff spot if they win out.

On the subject of Washington State, FiveThirtyEight estimates it is highly unlikely they will win out. I think they'll lose to Washington. Even if they do, FTE estimates that Ohio State will have a much better chance than WSU at getting the four spot in either of the two scenarios above (3 and 4). In scenario 3, Alabama and Clemson have 99+% chance of making the playoff. Notre Dame is listed at 64%, which is way too low. If ND is undefeated, they will make it. Ohio State is actually listed at 74% chance to make the CFP, with WVU and WSU at 32% each.

In scenario 4, Alabama and Clemson's chances did not change. Oklahoma would be at 85%, OSU at 69%, and WSU at just 41%.

All of these scenarios can be played out at https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/20 ... edictions/

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

Omega wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:44 pm

OR

:lol: :lol: :lol:

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

:lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D
burgfella69 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:50 pm
Omega wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:44 pm

OR

:lol: :lol: :lol:
:D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

I called the W Va loss to Oklahoma State. Oklahoma should have lost to them last week.
Two loss W Va now needs to beat one loss Oklahoma next week. ELIMINATE BOTH OF THEM.

Georgia lose to Alabama - ELIMINATES GEORGIA.

Wash State lose to Washington - ELIMINATES THEM

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Notre Dame
4. Michigan (if they win out)
or if Michigan loses to Ohio State:
Oklahoma (if they win out) even though they have a defense as bad as Ohio State
or
Washington State (if they win out)
or
Ohio State - if they win out and W Va beats Oklahoma and Wash beats Wash State. And provided Alabama, Clemson and Notre Dame don’t lose.

Georgia back in the picture if Michigan beats OSU but loses to Northwestern along with an Oklahoma loss and Wash State loss.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Oklahoma just gave up 40 points to lowly Kansas.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

farmer wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:01 pm Oklahoma just gave up 40 points to lowly Kansas.
But to the Committee they are so much better than Ohio State - thats bologna!!!!!

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Oklahoma also goes against a league of teams that give up a lot of points.
After tonights game against Cincinnati I think UCF should move up. Even though their schedule is not as strong. There are not teams that are overly impressive.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Of course the whole discussion may be moot come 4:00 pm on November 24th.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
The General
All State

Post by The General »

*ohio has beat TWO(2) teams with a winning record playing in a poor league and a poor OOC schedule.
*Teams that ohio bux have defeated are a combined 46-64 OVERALL.All the teams on their schedule are a combined 51-70(Including a 5-6 Purdue...who is now 21-50 since 2013)
*The big 14 west is 39-38...The big 14 east is 45-32....84-70 combined(big 14 football teams have won 54% of their games)..Tying them for the worse Conference in America with the PAC-12
*1/2 of big 14 teams have losing records and possibly 6 of these teams after this week will not be eligible for a bowl game based on 6 wins(Like last year)...Possibly 2/3 of ohio's schedule WILL NOT be bowl eligible.

Based on the Eye Test(And not Pinnochio and his theatrics vying for a Tony,an Emmy,and an Oscar...All lovingly being shown to football Lovers everywhere)...Mr Intensity...Mr X and O.. :lol: ..........With the huge disparity in talent that they have over EVERYONE they play(Until this week)....The way they play!..How they play?....Would you put this team in the playoffs?...I wouldnt even think about it...NO

Based on being deserving and the resume?...With that caliber and quality of teams they play?..NO

Would ANYONE think that they are 1 of the 4 BEST Teams in America?....Hell NO..And it shouldnt matter whether they beat Michigan or not...There are 6-8 other teams in America right now that I dont believe Michigan would beat.

Build the bux up all you want!...Happens every year...I mean last year they got hammered by SOONER at home. Got drilled by Iowa by 31. And there were still ohio HOMERS crying about THE TIDE being selected over them :lol: :lol: To each his own...Maybe the politics,power,The big 14 and ohio BRAND,and the CASH will carry the day again,like in 2014 and 2016 :roll: ....Nothing would surprise me.....maybe they can "Back Alley" and "Close Door" their way back in there.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

baseball16 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:07 pm Who in their "right" mind wants to see OSU get in the playoff, more than likely as a 4 seed, and then play Bama in the Semi final? Can you say beat down? I'm an OSU fan and really don't want to see this! I would rather OSU get matched up against WVU or Notre Dame and Try and shut these fans mouth up more than anything. OSU cannot beat Bama or Clemson! It would be embarrassing.
I hear ya baseball.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

smurray wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:04 pm
farmer wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:01 pm Oklahoma just gave up 40 points to lowly Kansas.
But to the Committee they are so much better than Ohio State - thats bologna!!!!!
exactly.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

The General wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:11 am *ohio has beat TWO(2) teams with a winning record playing in a poor league and a poor OOC schedule.
*Teams that ohio bux have defeated are a combined 46-64 OVERALL.All the teams on their schedule are a combined 51-70(Including a 5-6 Purdue...who is now 21-50 since 2013)
*The big 14 west is 39-38...The big 14 east is 45-32....84-70 combined(big 14 football teams have won 54% of their games)..Tying them for the worse Conference in America with the PAC-12
*1/2 of big 14 teams have losing records and possibly 6 of these teams after this week will not be eligible for a bowl game based on 6 wins(Like last year)...Possibly 2/3 of ohio's schedule WILL NOT be bowl eligible.

Based on the Eye Test(And not Pinnochio and his theatrics vying for a Tony,an Emmy,and an Oscar...All lovingly being shown to football Lovers everywhere)...Mr Intensity...Mr X and O.. :lol: ..........With the huge disparity in talent that they have over EVERYONE they play(Until this week)....The way they play!..How they play?....Would you put this team in the playoffs?...I wouldnt even think about it...NO

Based on being deserving and the resume?...With that caliber and quality of teams they play?..NO

Would ANYONE think that they are 1 of the 4 BEST Teams in America?....Hell NO..And it shouldnt matter whether they beat Michigan or not...There are 6-8 other teams in America right now that I dont believe Michigan would beat.

Build the bux up all you want!...Happens every year...I mean last year they got hammered by SOONER at home. Got drilled by Iowa by 31. And there were still ohio HOMERS crying about THE TIDE being selected over them :lol: :lol: To each his own...Maybe the politics,power,The big 14 and ohio BRAND,and the CASH will carry the day again,like in 2014 and 2016 :roll: ....Nothing would surprise me.....maybe they can "Back Alley" and "Close Door" their way back in there.
it simply amazes me mr. general how you are so smarter than every football publication.every coach on the playoff committee, smarter than any national magazine like lindy's Athlon, phil steele. how you are smarter than every team recruiting in the country and all their rankings. how you are smarter then every sportswriter and everybody involved and every computer that calculates all these results. I feel so overwhelmed being able to talk to you on a daily basis. you are the most knowledgeable person on the planet with your wisdom. how can simple posters like us even compare, or dare to respond. that must have something to do with how you make these enourmous posts and get no response. you are a hard act to follow, and nobody wants to be embarrassed. the fact is the big ten is very deep, very competitive and they eat each other up. sure you're gonna have losses. look who big ten teams are playing in conference play. there are 6/7 teams in the big ten who could play with anybody in the country on a weekly basis. and the whole big ten only played 2 fcs opponents the whole year. that is 14 teams, 12 games each. and the buckeyes have not played one in years. with the last being Youngstown state I believe. and I was at that one. we were lucky to win it. but the fact remains despite all your knowledge and superb writings we are 10-1, ranked in the top 10. playing another 10-1 team in Michigan this week for the big ten east title. and nearly every publication that you are smarter than said the big ten east is the toughest conference in the country. and there are 132 fbs teams and we are in the top 10. and they are being discussed by every sports outlet as a danger to possibly get in the top 4 for the playoffs. everybody in 2014 thought we should not have been there, and then we mopped the floors with bamy and Oregon. so despite your genious thoughts , we still find a way, YTB.

The General
All State

Post by The General »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:36 am
The General wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:11 am *ohio has beat TWO(2) teams with a winning record playing in a poor league and a poor OOC schedule.

it simply amazes me mr. general how you are so smarter than every football publication.every coach on the playoff committee, smarter than any national magazine like lindy's Athlon, phil steele. how you are smarter than every team recruiting in the country and all their rankings. how you are smarter then every sportswriter and everybody involved and every computer that calculates all these results. I feel so overwhelmed being able to talk to you on a daily basis. you are the most knowledgeable person on the planet with your wisdom. how can simple posters like us even compare, or dare to respond. that must have something to do with how you make these enourmous posts and get no response. you are a hard act to follow, and nobody wants to be embarrassed. the fact is the big ten is very deep, very competitive and they eat each other up. sure you're gonna have losses. look who big ten teams are playing in conference play. there are 6/7 teams in the big ten who could play with anybody in the country on a weekly basis. and the whole big ten only played 2 fcs opponents the whole year. that is 14 teams, 12 games each. and the buckeyes have not played one in years. with the last being Youngstown state I believe. and I was at that one. we were lucky to win it. but the fact remains despite all your knowledge and superb writings we are 10-1, ranked in the top 10. playing another 10-1 team in Michigan this week for the big ten east title. and nearly every publication that you are smarter than said the big ten east is the toughest conference in the country. and there are 132 fbs teams and we are in the top 10. and they are being discussed by every sports outlet as a danger to possibly get in the top 4 for the playoffs. everybody in 2014 thought we should not have been there, and then we mopped the floors with bamy and Oregon. so despite your genious thoughts , we still find a way, YTB.
YEP!!....I do my OWN Homework.Trust my own eyes and knowledge.Dontpay any attention to the perceptions,narratives..or media bias...Am I wrong some?..Why sure....But I am right more times than not :D Continue on!!....Be the BIGGEST ohio and 14 HOMER ever created :lol: .....I dont give a hoot what you do...Cheer and root like hell for your favorite team and conference.But for someone to say that the big 14 is very deep and has 6/7 teams who could play with ANYBODY on a weekly basis is false and ignorant in my opinion. :lol: ..Branch out!!..Watch some ball!!....And quit getting so tore up in what I say :lol: :lol: I dont care if you agree,like,respect,or notice what I do or post. But you cant disprove it either...Have a good day...If you are going to drink all that tea you need to slide some Grey Goose in it!....May calm you down some Ole Feller :lol: :roll:

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Whaaaaaaa!!!!! Whaaaaaaaa!!!!!! Mommy these OSU homers are being mean to me on an Ohio based sports site.....whaaaaaaa whaaaaaaaa! I'm gonna go cry in mommy's basement now.....

Whaaaaaa! Whaaaaaaa! 😭😭😭

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

hold up red, I may need to comeover too, i'll bring some clean hankies. I stated nothing but facts to general. no need to prove anything else. and I watch football all day Saturday all across the country. and dvr games back to back, to back. and watch the others through the week. and trust me when I say what you type doesn't bother me. in fact it entertains me. please continue. and at least I have enough respect to say OHIO STATE OR MICHIGAN, YOU DO KNOW OHIO PLAYS IN THE MAC RIGHT ????????????? just having some fun with an ole feller one to another. many may be surprised that I know who you are and have spoken with you. but that's between me you n the fencepost. and the luzianne sweet tea is just fine by itself and some big ole naval orange slabs in it. them days has been in the rear view mirror for 30 years. but back in the day I had a hollow leg, and could put em away with anybody. I like bein sober now.

The General
All State

Post by The General »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:44 am hold up red, I may need to comeover too, i'll bring some clean hankies. I stated nothing but facts to general. no need to prove anything else. and I watch football all day Saturday all across the country. and dvr games back to back, to back. and watch the others through the week. and trust me when I say what you type doesn't bother me. in fact it entertains me. please continue. and at least I have enough respect to say OHIO STATE OR MICHIGAN, YOU DO KNOW OHIO PLAYS IN THE MAC RIGHT ????????????? just having some fun with an ole feller one to another. many may be surprised that I know who you are and have spoken with you. but that's between me you n the fencepost. and the luzianne sweet tea is just fine by itself and some big ole naval orange slabs in it. them days has been in the rear view mirror for 30 years. but back in the day I had a hollow leg, and could put em away with anybody. I like bein sober now.
I know you do and have!!....Just have some fun!...Like I said..Like who you want :D ....And I like being sober also!...Except sometimes when I am not :lol: ;) The best team I saw play yesterday was The Citadel..Not in their ability or their Jimmys and Joes!..But just how clean they play. The execute what they do,the triple read-it-down choice to the best of their ability. They didnt make many mistakes in their execution. They played as hard and as well as they possibly could have for as long as they could.They did not and would not take any gruff off THE TIDE's guys.I hate to see defenders get cut at the point of attack on the perimeter,or downfield which is supposed to be taboo. But I took up for them and was actually pulling for them early in the 3rd Qtr before the dam collapsed!!.....Some really GREAT football played all over the country..BIG..Small..And in-between..

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I actually recorded that one to see later this week. like to died when I saw the 2 tied at 10. and a couple commercials later it was a blowout. I told mrs. bait, that escalated quickly. would have paid good money to have heard saban in the bama locker room tied at 10 at the half.

Return to “College Sports”