If we see another Playoff with 2 SEC teams.. Do we see a future expansion?

Valenth
SEOP

If we see another Playoff with 2 SEC teams.. Do we see a future expansion?

Post by Valenth »

It's possible for this scenario to occur again. But this year with Notre Dame in the mix... it might leave 3 of the 5 Power Conferences out of the Playoff... Do we see members of the committee get angry to the point where we see proposals to a 6 or 8 team expansion?

Thoughts?

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Re: If we see another Playoff with 2 SEC teams.. Do we see a future expansion?

Post by Bleeding Red »

Valenth wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:44 pm It's possible for this scenario to occur again. But this year with Notre Dame in the mix... it might leave 3 of the 5 Power Conferences out of the Playoff... Do we see members of the committee get angry to the point where we see proposals to a 6 or 8 team expansion?

Thoughts?
Absolutely. The SEC bias is out of control. I think that we are headed to an 8 team playoff regardless and as early as next year. People are getting tired of the bias.

People can say whatever they want but Georgia is in the same boat as OSU. They got beat in the same fashion on the road vs LSU (and the haters will say how great LSU is but they are average at best).

We know the PAC 12 is eliminated. All have 2 losses or more.

So assuming OSU wins vs NW, we have these scenarios, regardless of what happens with OK vs Texas:

Alabama beats Georgia by a decent margin: Georgia is out.

But let's say Bama wins in a tight game. In order to then put a now 2 loss Georgia into the top 4 the committee is saying conference championships and scheduling have no bearing in their eyes. Both were a major part of the original requirements when ALL NCAA FBS schools allowed this thing to be put into their hands to begin with.

Let's say Georgia boat races Bama. How do they not drop Bama out of the top 4? Even with a close game and a Bama loss, they should be out.

It's time the committee sticks with what they were given as standards in picking their top 4. Wins/losses, conference championships and scheduling.

If they dont, and the change isnt made to go to 8 teams, the conferences should petition the NCAA to leave the current CFP system, have their own, and let the SEC do whatever they want by themselves. It's a drastic measure but they need to make a statement that they wont get robbed and still smile about it any longer.

GoBucks1047
JV Team

Post by GoBucks1047 »

I'm a fan of a 6 team playoff because it opens up 2 more spots for teams that I think are deserving of making the playoff, but still presents drama and controversy. There's a push for teams to get the 1st and 2nd seeds because they get a bye, 3rd and 4th seeds are pushing to host the quarterfinal, and then the 5th and 6th seeds pushing to make the playoff. 7 and 8 are teams that some years could be a playoff team (not always a guarantee like 4 or 6 teams), but I think there is less drama with 8 teams since as the season goes on. You would figure out who is likely gonna make the playoffs. Then the end of the season becomes more about seeding, and you can afford a loss and not face significant repercussions from the loss. With 6 teams, a loss can be the different between getting a bye and having to play in the quarterfinal, hosting a quarterfinal and playing on the road, or making and missing the playoffs.

Something I'd like to see happen though before playoff expansion that will improve college football is for conferences to get rid of divisions to balance the conference schedule more and then take the top 2 teams overall, after their 8-9 conference games, to play in their conference championship game to give the best teams in their conference to win their conference championship and potentially make the playoff. I say potentially because I'm not willing to automatically give the champion an automatic bid to the playoff, but would have a strong emphasis on a conference championship, how it is currently. The championship games can be more like a play-in game to the playoff or the 1st round of the playoff and less of a conference money grab (it still would be, but the matchups would be better for the fans). Then in this format, the playoff would be either 4 or 6 teams.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

No 6 teams, no byes as nobody would ever vote for football teams to have essentially 2 play in games with an off week at playoff time for higher seeds. It would have to be 8 if they ever did it and then people would be grumbling because the SEC might get 3 teams in. The controversy will never end.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
GoBucks1047
JV Team

Post by GoBucks1047 »

Here is what the top 10 CFP Rankings looked like the last 4 years plus the current rankings this year going into conference championship weekend.

2014 Final CFP Rankings (Previous Week Rank):
* = Conference Champion ** = Conference Co-Champions
1. Alabama* 12-1 (1)
2. Oregon* 12-1 (2)
—-
3. Florida State* 13-0 (4)
4. Ohio State* 12-1 (5)
—-
5. Baylor** 11-1 (6)
6. TCU** 11-1 (3)
—-
7. Mississippi State 10-2 (10)
8. Michigan State 10-2 (8)
9. Ole Miss 9-3 (12)
10. Arizona 10-3 (7)
(Here, you see the top 6 was locked in for Year 1 of the CFP, but the shock would still be TCU going from 3 to 6, and they’d be looking to upset Florida State to prove they’re truly the 3rd best team [and probably could upset them]. OSU winning 59-0 over Wisconsin gets them a first game at The Shoe against Baylor.)

2015 Final CFP Rankings (Previous Week Rank):
* = Conference Champion
1. Clemson* 13-0 (1)
2. Alabama* 12-1 (2)
—-
3. Michigan State* 12-1 (5)
4. Oklahoma* 11-1 (3)
—-
5. Iowa 12-1 (4)
6. Stanford* 10-2 (7)
—-
7. Ohio State 11-1 (6)
8. Notre Dame 10-2 (8)
9. Florida State 10-2 (9)
10. North Carolina 11-2 (10)
(Here, you see the controversy between a 2 loss champion vs. 1 loss non-champ for 6th plus the 3 way battle for 2nd. Also, had Michigan St. lost to Iowa, you’d have a 3 way battle between OSU, Michigan St., and Stanford for 5th and 6th.)

2016 Final CFP Rankings (Previous Week Rank):
* = Conference Champion
1. Alabama* 13-0 (1)
2. Clemson* 12-1 (3)
—-
3. Ohio State 11-1 (2)
4. Washington* 12-1 (4)
—-
5. Penn State* 11-2 (7)
6. Michigan 10-2 (5)
—-
7. Oklahoma* 10-2 (9)
8. Wisconsin 10-3 (6)
9. USC 9-3 (11)
10. Colorado 10-3 (8)
(I think an argument can be made for Oklahoma over Michigan, but either way, it’s a fun rematch for OSU. Also OSU v. Clemson for the bye [we know how that went])

2017 Final CFP Rankings (Previous Week Rank):
* = Conference Champion
1. Clemson* 12-1 (1)
2. Oklahoma* 12-1 (3)
—-
3. Georgia* 12-1 (6)
4. Alabama 11-1 (5)
—-
5. Ohio State* 11-2 (8)
6. Wisconsin 12-1 (4)
—-
7. Auburn 10-3 (2)
8. USC* 10-2 (10)
9. Penn State 10-2 (9)
10. Miami 10-2 (7)
(I think 2017 shows just because you’re in the top 2 doesn’t mean you’re a lock into the playoff as you see the debate between Wisconsin and Auburn for 6th, and I think if Wisconsin had beat OSU, then USC could be argued more for 6 vs. 3 loss Auburn.
There’s also Alabama v. OSU to see who hosts the fun matchup, and Oklahoma v. Georgia [who just beat #2 Auburn] to see who gets the Bye.)

2018 Current CFP Rankings
1. Alabama 12-0
2. Clemson 12-0
—-
3. Notre Dame 12-0
4. Georgia 11-1
—-
5. Oklahoma 11-1
6. Ohio State 11-1
—-
7. Michigan 10-2
8. UCF 12-0
9. Florida 9-3
10. LSU 9-3
(Note that upsets can still happen on conference championship weekend, and that UCF (would be the 1st Group of 5 Team to the CFP) and Michigan can still make their way into the playoff while OSU and Oklahoma are battling for 4th should Georgia lose. Notre Dame is also sitting at 3 and can move up with a Clemson loss, but should Bama lose, then it’s Georgia and Notre Dame battling for 2nd while Bama likely would drop to 3 at best and lose their bye.)

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

It has to be 8 teams, 6 will never work.

You cannot have bye weeks in the playoffs. Not a level playing field.

8 teams:
(5) Power 5 conference champs
(3) at large- to be an at large, you must have at least won your division of your conference

Top 4 ranked teams host the first round so the committee or whoever is ranking them is still relevant. Lots of focus to be in the top 4 because of all the extra revenue that comes with a school hosting another game.

Seems pretty simple.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

I agree, especially for this reason. Say you schedule the "play-in" games before the New Years 6 Bowl games. The two losers are essentially out. Stage an 8 team playoff incorporating the major bowls. You're telling me adding one more week in this era as a college playoff hurts the student-athlete issue? Tough. This is big time sports and these "students" can be accommodated for one more week.

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

Bleeding Red wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:03 pm
Valenth wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:44 pm It's possible for this scenario to occur again. But this year with Notre Dame in the mix... it might leave 3 of the 5 Power Conferences out of the Playoff... Do we see members of the committee get angry to the point where we see proposals to a 6 or 8 team expansion?

Thoughts?
Absolutely. The SEC bias is out of control. I think that we are headed to an 8 team playoff regardless and as early as next year. People are getting tired of the bias.

People can say whatever they want but Georgia is in the same boat as OSU. They got beat in the same fashion on the road vs LSU (and the haters will say how great LSU is but they are average at best).

We know the PAC 12 is eliminated. All have 2 losses or more.

So assuming OSU wins vs NW, we have these scenarios, regardless of what happens with OK vs Texas:

Alabama beats Georgia by a decent margin: Georgia is out.

But let's say Bama wins in a tight game. In order to then put a now 2 loss Georgia into the top 4 the committee is saying conference championships and scheduling have no bearing in their eyes. Both were a major part of the original requirements when ALL NCAA FBS schools allowed this thing to be put into their hands to begin with.

Let's say Georgia boat races Bama. How do they not drop Bama out of the top 4? Even with a close game and a Bama loss, they should be out.

It's time the committee sticks with what they were given as standards in picking their top 4. Wins/losses, conference championships and scheduling.

If they dont, and the change isnt made to go to 8 teams, the conferences should petition the NCAA to leave the current CFP system, have their own, and let the SEC do whatever they want by themselves. It's a drastic measure but they need to make a statement that they wont get robbed and still smile about it any longer.
I was getting ready to say something , then saw this. I think you are spot on red.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Expanded playoffs? Only if there is money to be made.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

CFB is swimming in money. Expanded playoffs=$$$

Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

More Games equals sponsors licking their chops which equals the shelling of large amounts of $$$...

Yes... Money is to be made big time here!

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

I'd rather Oklahoma win and OSU sit out than have 2 SEC games.

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

Something just hit me all of a sudden... We're seeing Alabama and Georgia in the SEC Championship.. Regardless of the outcome would the committee really put those two in for a possible rematch.. Even if it's not close?

Last year we saw Alabama make the final 4 and not win the SEC... We saw Auburn and Georgia fight for it. But we saw Alabama and Georgia in the Final...

What I'm getting at is.. Would they keep Alabama in if they lost by more than 10 points? Because it's something we know occurred. See where I'm going?

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

Valenth wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:57 pm Something just hit me all of a sudden... We're seeing Alabama and Georgia in the SEC Championship.. Regardless of the outcome would the committee really put those two in for a possible rematch.. Even if it's not close?

Last year we saw Alabama make the final 4 and not win the SEC... We saw Auburn and Georgia fight for it. But we saw Alabama and Georgia in the Final...

What I'm getting at is.. Would they keep Alabama in if they lost by more than 10 points? Because it's something we know occurred. See where I'm going?
So this was debated in 2006 when OSU beat #2 Michigan by 3. That's when we got Florida in the Championship game because it was said no one wanted to see a replay of OSU-Michigan. No to two SEC teams. This game should be an elimination game for the loser.

Miles Wood
Waterboy

Post by Miles Wood »

If o$u were guaranteed a spot in the playoffs this year would you still be for expanding the playoffs?

"The Autumn Wind Is A Pirate"
Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

Miles Wood wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:20 pm If o$u were guaranteed a spot in the playoffs this year would you still be for expanding the playoffs?
Yes.. Because this year there were a good field of Contenders.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

8 teams! When it was the BCS 2, that was too restrictive. With 4, it's better but you still leave out teams like UCF and big conference champions. 8 is THE number. If you debate not getting in because you are #9, you should've played better the whole season. To have one game disqualify you, that's disenfranchising

The General
All State

Post by The General »

:
Miles Wood wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:20 pm If o$u were guaranteed a spot in the playoffs this year would you still be for expanding the playoffs?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .....Smell a HOMER a mile away.........

The General
All State

Post by The General »

Nice job Miles!!!!

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

With the game just played by Bama and Georgia, I think an analytical case can be made for two SEC teams in the CFP. The argument boils down to the four best teams versus conference champs

Gut feelings are your guardian angels

Return to “College Sports”