Breaking news!! Urban....

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Breaking news!! Urban....

Post by 1987chieftains »

Breaking news!! Urban Meyer is retiring after the Rose Bowl. Hope you guys liked Ryan Day.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... -rose-bowl

AT THE RESERVATION
Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Re: Breaking news!! Urban....

Post by Bleeding Red »

I like Day and I think he will do fine.

First order of business is to replace a few defensive coaches (I hope). Day is a great offensive mind and will no doubt do a good job. To say there wont be a hiccup is not being realistic. Lets face it, Urban was one of the best in the business.

Its amazing what Oklahoma did with the Stoops to Riley hand off. Not only did they not miss a beat offensively, they actually improved.

Some of us homers saw this coming. The pre season witch hunt, the suspension, how President Drake handled the entire shyte show and OSU very narrowly missing the CFP (again) didnt help with his decision to stay. I am sure that we will read all about it one day in a book that he is sure to come out with. I truly believe there is a ton of animosity between Urban, Drake and maybe a few other power figures at tOSU, considering how Urban was proven guilty until he proved himself innocent.

It has been a really fun 7 years. I am glad that Urban finished off his regular season with a 7th consecutive win over ttun in Cbus, another B1G Championship and hopefully a beat down of Washington in the Rose Bowl.

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

I'm a big Ryan Day fan. Don't think the Bucks will miss a beat.

I think you'll probably see Schiano, Wilson, Davis and Taver Johnson hit the door. Not sure about Alford. Grinch promoted to DC. Gotta keep Larry Johnson, Hartline, Pantoni, Marotti and probably Stud if they'll stay.

It'll be interesting to see how the staff plays out.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

I'm thrilled. I believe Day is a highly respected coach. I have no doubt he was going to be a head coach somewhere next season. Now it will be at THE Ohio State University. Hopefully this keeps recruiting on track and the Bucks are set for the next decade.

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse
GAHS7481
Waterboy

Post by GAHS7481 »

Anyone who didn't see this coming, needs to take off their rose color glasses. As others have stated his first order of business is to get rid of some defensive coaches. Offense will be fine...

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

No real surprise, and even the timing makes sense in fairness to potential recruits.

We all know the issues surrounding the 2018 OSU season. Speculation about the behind the scene events is now not important.

It has been a great seven year run for UFM. A truly great period for OSU football. We all should wish him restored health and happiness in his retirement.

Ron Day was indeed the head coach in waiting, and I am sure he will keep OSU as a relevant brand in college football. Honestly Buckeye football needs to step back from the precipice of unrealistic expectations and re-examine its role within the scope of the University's mission.
Last edited by Omega on Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

After the win over Meatchicken they showed Urban's wife and she was crying and I told the better half that Urban won't coach in Ohio Stadium again.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

se-alum wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:37 am I'm a big Ryan Day fan. Don't think the Bucks will miss a beat.

I think you'll probably see Schiano, Wilson, Davis and Taver Johnson hit the door. Not sure about Alford. Grinch promoted to DC. Gotta keep Larry Johnson, Hartline, Pantoni, Marotti and probably Stud if they'll stay.

It'll be interesting to see how the staff plays out.
I agree with minor tweaking. I think Wilson will probably stay. It will be good for Day to have another former head D1 coach there in what will surely be a big transition.

Schiano and Davis must go. Larry Johnson would make an excellent DC as long as he would want it. Everything on our D starts with the D line and that has been the constant bright spot every since LJ got to Cbus.

Not sure about Taver Johnson. I for one didnt see much improvement at all in the defensive backfield. It and the LB positions were sorely lacking.

James Lauranitis would be a really good addition to the LB coach if he has it in him. If not JL, there are plenty of other good LB coaches out there that have OSU roots.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

Bleeding Red wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:14 am I like Day and I think he will do fine.

First order of business is to replace a few defensive coaches (I hope). Day is a great offensive mind and will no doubt do a good job. To say there wont be a hiccup is not being realistic. Lets face it, Urban was one of the best in the business.

Its amazing what Oklahoma did with the Stoops to Riley hand off. Not only did they not miss a beat offensively, they actually improved.

Some of us homers saw this coming. The pre season witch hunt, the suspension, how President Drake handled the entire shyte show and OSU very narrowly missing the CFP (again) didnt help with his decision to stay. I am sure that we will read all about it one day in a book that he is sure to come out with. I truly believe there is a ton of animosity between Urban, Drake and maybe a few other power figures at tOSU, considering how Urban was proven guilty until he proved himself innocent.

It has been a really fun 7 years. I am glad that Urban finished off his regular season with a 7th consecutive win over ttun in Cbus, another B1G Championship and hopefully a beat down of Washington in the Rose Bowl.
President Drake seems to be a shifty person. Gee had his issues but Drake leaves you not sure which side on the boat hes rowing on. As a non- o$u fan I do think they will be just fine with Day. He seems to be a cool level headed coach.

AT THE RESERVATION
Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Omega wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:54 am No real surprise, and even the timing makes sense in fairness to potential recruits.

We all know the issues surrounding the 2018 OSU season. Speculation about the behind the scene events is now not important.events

It has been a great seven year run for UFM. A truly great period for OSU football. We all should wish him restored health and happiness in his retirement.

Ron Day was indeed the head coach in waiting, and I am sure he will keep OSU as a relevant brand in college football. Honestly Buckeye football needs to step back from
the precipice of unrealistic expectations and re-examine its role within the scope of the University's mission.
Is Ron Day related to Ryan? JK man lol.

Bama, Clemson, OSU, OK, Georgia and a couple other schools are "National Champs" or bust schools. These programs have top recruiting classes every year, top coaching staffs, enormous traveling fan bases and they have the national brand. The expectations are not going to change.

I will say that as OSU fans we have a tendency to become delusional to a point in our expectations. We win by 14 instead of 30 or we drop a game that we shouldnt and all of a sudden the sun isnt coming up tomorrow.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

1987chieftains wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:05 am
Bleeding Red wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:14 am I like Day and I think he will do fine.

President Drake seems to be a shifty person. Gee had his issues but Drake leaves you not sure which side on the boat hes rowing on. As a non- o$u fan I do think they will be just fine with Day. He seems to be a cool level headed coach.
Drake made no bones about it......he wanted UM fired. As he turned his back on UM and proceeded to join the ESPN witch hunt and leaned toward the cry of guilty until proven innocent to be PR friendly, Buckeye Nation turned their back on him.

His tenure at OSU will only be remembered for not having both UM's and Gene Smith's back during this ordeal. People will remember the reports of Drake fighting with the board members who not only didnt want UM fired, but couldnt justify ANY further disciplinary action for UM after the reporting came out.

I truly believe that Drake is on a very limited tenure at OSU.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Bleeding Red wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:07 am
Omega wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:54 am No real surprise, and even the timing makes sense in fairness to potential recruits.

We all know the issues surrounding the 2018 OSU season. Speculation about the behind the scene events is now not important.events

Ron Day was indeed the head coach in waiting, and I am sure he will keep OSU as a relevant brand in college football. Honestly Buckeye football needs to step back from
the precipice of unrealistic expectations and re-examine its role within the scope of the University's mission.
Is Ron Day related to Ryan? JK man lol.

Bama, Clemson, OSU, OK, Georgia and a couple other schools are "National Champs" or bust schools. These programs have top recruiting classes every year, top coaching staffs, enormous traveling fan bases and they have the national brand. The expectations are not going to change.

I will say that as OSU fans we have a tendency to become delusional to a point in our expectations. We win by 14 instead of 30 or we drop a game that we shouldnt and all of a sudden the sun isnt coming up tomorrow.
Ron, Rod, Ryan ??

Hey I am old, just woke up and have yet to turn my pacemaker on to its day time settings.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

May I refer back to October 22, 2018 in a topic I wrote...

A thought coming off of Ohio States loss.
Post Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:53 pm

I look at everything and the drama that unfolded that led to Ohio States downfall.

I believe I have one cause for the issue... The departure of Nick Bosa.

Bosa was the glue that held that defense together with leadership and energy. I feel with him gone it leaves a gap that grew disinterest and lacks depth on that Defensive line. I think the defensive players in a sense felt abandoned by their once leader.

Another big thing that stood out to me was.. Where was the Fire and encouragement that Urban Meyer had? He looked like throughout the game like he lost his last friend. And just didn't want to be there.

That first drive that led to a FG got into the minds of the offense which made them feel like they couldn't get a touchdown. Which then snowballed into the demise.

I feel like Coach Day had a better hold of the team than when Urban Meyer returned. It seemed like Day showed more conviction and passion for the team. Urban just seems deflated and just... There to coach. No interest at all..

In a final observation. I'm going to be totally honest here. I think at the end of this season we see the torch of Ohio State head coach switch hands from Meyer to Day

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Great 7 year run and this season, he should have been Coach of THE YEAR for completing a 12-1 season and Big Ten Champions after what he and this team went through:
Amazing year after the preseason turmoil, thrown under the bus, injuries out the butt and lose the best defensive player in America.
AMAZING YEAR AND 7 YEAR RUN AT OSU

THANK YOU COACH MEYER!!!!!

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

smurray wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:47 am Great 7 year run and this season, he should have been Coach of THE YEAR for completing a 12-1 season and Big Ten Champions after what he and this team went through:
Amazing year after the preseason turmoil, thrown under the bus, injuries out the butt and lose the best defensive player in America.
AMAZING YEAR AND 7 YEAR RUN AT OSU

THANK YOU COACH MEYER!!!!!
Agree.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I THOUGHT THE SAME THING WHEN I SAW COACH FITZ WON THE COACH OF THE YEAR. WE HAD ANOTHER BANNER YEAR AT 12-1. AND I FELT IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN URBAN, OR AT THE VERY LEAST HARBAUGH.
IT'S BEEN A PLEASURE HAVING URBAN MEYER COACH THE BUCKEYES, WIN THEM ANOTHER NATIONAL TITLE AND COUNTLESS BOWL GAMES AND BIG TEN TITLES. NOW THE BIG QUESTION IS DOES HASKINS STAY. I'D LOVE TO SEE LARRY JOHNSON AS DEFENSIVE CO-ORDINATOR MYSELF. I TOO HOPE THERE ARE SOME STAFF CHANGES, BUT NOT GUTTING THE PLACE. GOOD LUCK TO YOU URBAN IN YOUR FUTURE AND YOUR HEALTH, AND WELCOME COACH RYAN DAY TO THE BUCKS MAIN MAN NOW.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Reds Fan
JV Team

Post by Reds Fan »

A great career for Coach Meyer

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:43 am I THOUGHT THE SAME THING WHEN I SAW COACH FITZ WON THE COACH OF THE YEAR. WE HAD ANOTHER BANNER YEAR AT 12-1. AND I FELT IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN URBAN, OR AT THE VERY LEAST HARBAUGH.
IT'S BEEN A PLEASURE HAVING URBAN MEYER COACH THE BUCKEYES, WIN THEM ANOTHER NATIONAL TITLE AND COUNTLESS BOWL GAMES AND BIG TEN TITLES. NOW THE BIG QUESTION IS DOES HASKINS STAY. I'D LOVE TO SEE LARRY JOHNSON AS DEFENSIVE CO-ORDINATOR MYSELF. I TOO HOPE THERE ARE SOME STAFF CHANGES, BUT NOT GUTTING THE PLACE. GOOD LUCK TO YOU URBAN IN YOUR FUTURE AND YOUR HEALTH, AND WELCOME COACH RYAN DAY TO THE BUCKS MAIN MAN NOW.
COY should have been Urban. Hands down.

Fitz improved throughout the year, but he went 0-for during NW's non conference games and their record isnt any better than last year.

The last coach from tOSU to win COY in the B1G was Earl Bruce in 1979. Cooper never won it. Tress never won it, now Urban.

Think about that for a second. In 2014 Urban was the coach of the National Champions, yet he didnt win COY from his peers in the B1G. It has been 39 years since tOSU brought home the B1G coach of the year trophy.

Its nothing more than his fellow coaching rivals not patting him on the ass at the end of the year after Urban (again) dismantled their teams.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

The writing was on the wall and we all figured this was coming after everything that went down this summer and early fall. Next man up to make $7.6 mil a year ? Why not, it isn't like they don't have it. College sports is out of control :o
* As far as coach of the year , OSU with the talent yearly will very rarely get a sniff of that award *

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:42 pm The writing was on the wall and we all figured this was coming after everything that went down this summer and early fall. Next man up to make $7.6 mil a year ? Why not, it isn't like they don't have it. College sports is out of control :o
* As far as coach of the year , OSU with the talent yearly will very rarely get a sniff of that award *
You make a valid point. Inside the B1G, the jealousy and animosity flow deep. Since OSU has branded its name on the national platform, went above and beyond with recruiting year in and year out, they are punished.

The critics say exactly what you did: "Well look at their players! They SHOULD WIN!"

Isnt recruiting part of coaching? Coaching is what brought the talent.

I am glad Fitz won COY. At least he will win something outside of the regular season :lol:

Return to “College Sports”