OSU's Mike Weber To Enter NFL Draft But Play In Rose Bowl

Omega
SEOPS H

OSU's Mike Weber To Enter NFL Draft But Play In Rose Bowl

Post by Omega »

From Eleven Warriors:

The redshirt junior running back announced Sunday night on Twitter that he will enter the 2019 NFL draft following Ohio State's season finale against Washington in Pasadena on Jan. 1.

Weber is the second player still on the team to announce that he will enter the draft despite having another year of eligibility, joining redshirt junior defensive tackle Dre'Mont Jones, who announced his decision to enter the draft on Wednesday. Jones has also said he will play in the Rose Bowl.

Former Ohio State defensive end Nick Bosa is also declaring for the 2019 NFL draft, but he left the team in October to focus on his recovery from core muscle surgery.

Weber told reporters on Wednesday that he had not yet made up his mind on whether he would enter the NFL draft, saying he was "still thinking about it." At the time, Weber said he felt like his season was "okay" and "decent," but that he had not yet played up to his personal expectations.

"I know my potential, and I still haven’t reached it yet," Weber said Wednesday.

That said, Weber had already contemplated leaving for the NFL after last season. When he decided to return, he tweeted "One more year." So it's no big surprise that Weber has decided the time is now to take his game to the next level.

"It's been one Hell of a journey," Weber said in his Twitter post. "I will forgo my Senior Season and will live the dream I've had since 5 years old. I will be declaring for the 2019 NFL Draft. I also will be playing in the Rose Bowl to finish what My brothers and I started."

In three playing seasons for the Buckeyes, Weber has rushed for 2,580 yards and 24 touchdowns on 440 carries, while also catching 53 passes for 289 yards and one touchdown.

Weber, who was recently ranked as the ninth-best running back in the 2019 draft class by Bleacher Report's Matt Miller, is projected to be selected in the middle rounds of the draft.

J.K. Dobbins is in line to return as Ohio State's lead running back next season, but Weber's departure should open the door for redshirting freshmen Master Teague and Brian Snead and incoming freshmen Steele Chambers and Marcus Crowley to compete for the No. 2 spot on the running back depth chart next season. Current redshirt sophomore Demario McCall, who has played at running back for most of this season, could factor into the equation at either running back or H-back next season.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-sta ... -rose-bowl

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Omega
SEOPS H

Re: OSU's Mike Weber To Enter NFL Draft But Play In Rose Bowl

Post by Omega »

I honestly am surprised that potential NFL draftees Weber, Jones, and Haskins have announced they will be bowling.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Weber is projected as a late 2nd round to 3rd round pick. I dont think his draft stock is going to get higher because coming back next year will only have him splitting carries again with Dobbins.

Snead and Master Teague will both fill in nicely and compliment Dobbins nicely next season.

The real story is how Haskins responded to Weber's tweet that he was declaring for the draft. Haskins responded "One more year Mikey" with a crying emoji.

If Ryan Day has somehow persuaded Haskins to stay another year, it would be the biggest recruit in college football.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

the buckeyes will certainly look a lot different next year with the losses of weber, dre'mont jones, nick bosa. and more than likely haskins. will the buckeyes have a mass exodus after urban retires, or can coach ryan day rally the troops to go for it next year. myself I have a bad feeling about it. but I have no doubt that ryan day made the most sense. a big thing as well will be how our coaching staff and co-ordinators change and who will be retained or let loose.
it's still as sexy as a place that you can sign at as a plater at or coach at.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Webber and the running game just was not used in some games. The offensive line as well as always running from the shotgun didn't help. Webber had some trouble holding on the ball and with injuries. He needs to clean that up to be a good backup and special team player in the NFL.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:09 am the buckeyes will certainly look a lot different next year with the losses of weber, dre'mont jones, nick bosa. and more than likely haskins. will the buckeyes have a mass exodus after urban retires, or can coach ryan day rally the troops to go for it next year. myself I have a bad feeling about it. but I have no doubt that ryan day made the most sense. a big thing as well will be how our coaching staff and co-ordinators change and who will be retained or let loose.
it's still as sexy as a place that you can sign at as a plater at or coach at.
Day is perfectly capable of keeping the OSU football program at a top twenty level. A team that can compete for the Big 10(14) championship and occasionally spring an upset against higher ranked foes. In other words, a return to the level of success Ohio State had during the Earle Bruce years. Day may even be a better player development and game day coach than Urban Meyer, but I doubt he can equal UFM's ability to recruit. Recruiting in this day and age is what separates elite programs from those who are merely good. I for one might enjoy being a fan of OSU football more under Day than under UFM. Expectations and worrying about style points creates more worry and angst than joy.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

OSU has always been one of the schools that recruits itself and will always be. Ole 9-3 Earle was a winner but couldn't please the faithful and got ran out. It's a lucrative position but you gotta win 10 or 11 games a year here to keep your job, it's a mandate. Good luck to Mr. Day.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

Out of them all. i thought weber was not the 1 to go. to injury and fumble prone

Winners never quit. And quitters never win! Vince Lombardi
se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:26 pm Out of them all. i thought weber was not the 1 to go. to injury and fumble prone
The injury issue is exactly why he's going. He's not getting any younger, and his stock isn't going to get any higher.

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

Maybe i'm the only person that thinks Day will recruit at Urban's level, if not higher, eventually. Do you really think Day gets the job if Urban and Gene thought there was someone better out there? I think once you see Day install his offense, kids will be jumping at the opportunity to join in.

Here's a good article from Letterman's Row:

https://lettermenrow.com/ohio-state-foo ... g-success/

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

I think Day will recruit just fine. He learned from one of the best. And after all, it is THE Ohio State University. As for Weber, his departure will help Dobbins.

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

se-alum wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:18 am Maybe i'm the only person that thinks Day will recruit at Urban's level, if not higher, eventually. Do you really think Day gets the job if Urban and Gene thought there was someone better out there? I think once you see Day install his offense, kids will be jumping at the opportunity to join in.

Here's a good article from Letterman's Row:

https://lettermenrow.com/ohio-state-foo ... g-success/
I hope you are right alum. I certainly feel like day is a great coach. but urban has 3 national titles. that's hard to match with. but I like him, I was impressed by him. and I think he is the right man for the job. but are expectations so high at oho state that if you don't go undefeated and win a national championship you are a failure. it seemed like gene smith was telling him that in the press conference. I feel the buckeyes can play with anybody in the country. even bama n Clemson, if they play like they did against Michigan and northwestern. being a top dog like the buckeyes , you have to expect a herculean effort out of everybody you play. but I wish the man nothing but success.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

There are reports that OSU leads for Justin Fields, if he does indeed transfer. Day is thought to be the primary reason. Fields' QB coach, Quincy Avery, is really close with Day.

Quincy Avery

@Quincy_Avery

If I had a son who played Quarterback I would 100% want him to play for Ryan Day...

Zach Harrison also seems to be trending to OSU.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

se-alum wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:13 pm There are reports that OSU leads for Justin Fields, if he does indeed transfer. Day is thought to be the primary reason. Fields' QB coach, Quincy Avery, is really close with Day.

Quincy Avery

@Quincy_Avery

If I had a son who played Quarterback I would 100% want him to play for Ryan Day...

Zach Harrison also seems to be trending to OSU.
Correct. Since your post Fields has indeed file for his release from Georgia and will transfer.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I saw where the Georgia qb is talking about transferring to ohio state. I guess he was the number 1 qb taken in the country last year.

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Look for osu to become like oklahoma all offence

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:45 am Look for osu to become like oklahoma all offence
Hopefully better defensively!!

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

se-alum wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:48 am
X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:45 am Look for osu to become like oklahoma all offence
Hopefully better defensively!!

I don't know lets hope

Return to “College Sports”