Alabama & Monongah WV

Post Reply
FANOSPORTS
SEOP
Posts: 3805
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:14 pm
Location: NORTH OF EDEN

Alabama & Monongah WV

Post by FANOSPORTS » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:31 pm

Hardscrabble roots, old school coaching, salt tablets and no water ( I remember those days also). After a loss to "AA" Ceredo-Kenova and Coach Carl Ward in 1967 and quarterbacking the 1968 State 'A' championship game against Paden City It's been all uphill and he's not done yet. Good article.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... re7IVpuaM8

* During my old high school days we scrimmaged C-K in 72' and they were good*


"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"

Mister Bee
Varsity
Posts: 503
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:57 pm

Re: Alabama & Monongah WV

Post by Mister Bee » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:08 pm

Very good read. Thanks for sharing the link.



Omega
SE
Posts: 2066
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:45 pm
Location: Cooley Springs, SC

Re: Alabama & Monongah WV

Post by Omega » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:22 pm

FANOSPORTS wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:31 pm
Hardscrabble roots, old school coaching, salt tablets and no water ( I remember those days also). After a loss to "AA" Ceredo-Kenova and Coach Carl Ward in 1967 and quarterbacking the 1968 State 'A' championship game against Paden City It's been all uphill and he's not done yet. Good article.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... re7IVpuaM8

* During my old high school days we scrimmaged C-K in 72' and they were good*
Yeah, the C-K Wonders were quite the power in their time and the tradition continues with Spring Valley. The Mon Valley coal towns are mostly gone, but the area gave us John McKay and Jimbo Fisher besides Saban.


Get Off of My Lawn -- and Yes It is Too Loud !!!!

FANOSPORTS
SEOP
Posts: 3805
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:14 pm
Location: NORTH OF EDEN

Re: Alabama & Monongah WV

Post by FANOSPORTS » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:56 pm

Mister Bee wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:08 pm
Very good read. Thanks for sharing the link.
You're welcome !!!!!


"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"

FANOSPORTS
SEOP
Posts: 3805
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:14 pm
Location: NORTH OF EDEN

Re: Alabama & Monongah WV

Post by FANOSPORTS » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:57 pm

Omega wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:22 pm
FANOSPORTS wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:31 pm
Hardscrabble roots, old school coaching, salt tablets and no water ( I remember those days also). After a loss to "AA" Ceredo-Kenova and Coach Carl Ward in 1967 and quarterbacking the 1968 State 'A' championship game against Paden City It's been all uphill and he's not done yet. Good article.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... re7IVpuaM8

* During my old high school days we scrimmaged C-K in 72' and they were good*
Yeah, the C-K Wonders were quite the power in their time and the tradition continues with Spring Valley. The Mon Valley coal towns are mostly gone, but the area gave us John McKay and Jimbo Fisher besides Saban.
Yes Sir and can you imagine the uproar that would take place if a state championship game was played today on a field where It's raining and already a mud pit like the one they played on in this clip. They cancel games now where lightning and rain is 50 miles away. Times have sure changed.


"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"

Mister Bee
Varsity
Posts: 503
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:57 pm

Re: Alabama & Monongah WV

Post by Mister Bee » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:45 pm

Yes times have changed. Not only was the field a mud pit but it was a shared home field with other schools. AND Paden City was a football power at that time.

I remember Parkersburg South winning their state title a decade or so ago in an absolute mud pit at Wheeling Island Stadium and the uproar of the field conditions. But, the losing team complains the loudest. Winning is a great healer. Both teams play in the same conditions. Great coaches always have a plan B if plan A isn't working and sometimes plan B works and sometimes it doesn't.

Love him or hate him, Saban has to be the greatest college coach of my generation and possibly all time. JMHO.



FANOSPORTS
SEOP
Posts: 3805
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:14 pm
Location: NORTH OF EDEN

Re: Alabama & Monongah WV

Post by FANOSPORTS » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:10 am

Mister Bee wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:45 pm
Yes times have changed. Not only was the field a mud pit but it was a shared home field with other schools. AND Paden City was a football power at that time.

I remember Parkersburg South winning their state title a decade or so ago in an absolute mud pit at Wheeling Island Stadium and the uproar of the field conditions. But, the losing team complains the loudest. Winning is a great healer. Both teams play in the same conditions. Great coaches always have a plan B if plan A isn't working and sometimes plan B works and sometimes it doesn't.

Love him or hate him, Saban has to be the greatest college coach of my generation and possibly all time. JMHO.
Till another young gunslinger unseats him someday. We'll see what Dabo does here in the next few years for starters because he is a keeper down there.


"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"

Post Reply

Return to “College Sports”