Welcome to Michigan Rich!

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

He took the job! :lol:

Rich Rod took the job at michgan and is leaving WVU

why though? why a change of heart?

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

The rich get richer! Pryor, the number one QB in the land, just added UM as his new #1!!!!! Will Jenkins follow RR to UM< or will he end up a buckeye!??

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

Reports: Rodriguez leaving West Virginia to coach Michigan

West Virginia football coach Rich Rodriguez informed his players at a 1:30 p.m. meeting Sunday that he was leaving to become the new coach at Michigan, according to multiple reports.

Rodriguez met with Michigan athletic director Bill Martin on Friday to talk about the Wolverines' coaching job.

Rodriguez and his agent were in Toledo to talk with Martin and university president Mary Sue Coleman, according to Sporting News Radio, which cited unidentifed sources.

The meeting was confirmed to ESPN's Joe Schad on Friday afternoon by a source close to the situation.

Rodriguez, 44, was back in Morgantown on Friday after taking a flight from Ohio, and unwilling to talk about any possible interest in the Michigan job.

"Going to practice. I'm going to practice," he told The Associated Press on Friday, getting into his car after a trip to Toledo.

Rodriguez again refused to discuss Michigan's vacant coaching job on Saturday.

At the opening of a previously scheduled news conference about West Virginia's trip to the Fiesta Bowl, Rodriguez said he would only talk about the game against Oklahoma (No. 4 BCS, No. 3 AP).

"It may be disappointing to you, but I am not going to talk about any rumors or innuendo or jobs or what else is floating out there," Rodriguez said.

"I'm not going to address the rumors or anything of that nature," Rodriguez said. "If any questions are asked about that, the press conference will be over."

The questions about Michigan persisted, and Rodriguez fired back.

"You all have not understood what I just said. One more question and this conference, unfortunately, and you all have been super, but if the questions persist outside of that then this thing will be over," he said.

A reporter then asked whether Rodriguez would coach the team in the Fiesta Bowl.

"You're a tricky guy," Rodriguez said.

Some players indicated Rodriguez hadn't spoken to them about Michigan and that they were under orders to keep quiet.

"I'm not supposed to talk about that. I'm sorry," offensive lineman Ryan Stanchek said Saturday.

West Virginia athletic director Ed Pastilong spoke with Rodriguez on Saturday.

"We talked about general issues within the football program," Pastilong told The Charleston Gazette, declining to be more specific.

Pastilong, who didn't immediately return a telephone message to The Associated Press, told the newspaper "we'll know something very fast" in regard to Rodriguez's decision.

Michigan, which lured basketball coach John Beilein away from West Virginia last April, is looking for a replacement for football coach Lloyd Carr, who announced his retirement Nov. 19 after 13 seasons.

Pastilong said he was unaware Rodriguez, who has a hefty buyout clause in his contract, was in Toledo.

"He has not shared that with me," Pastilong told The Associated Press.

Pastilong would not say whether West Virginia had given Michigan permission to talk to Rodriguez, citing university policy.

When asked further whether he knew Rodriguez was talking to Michigan, Pastilong said, "Rich has not mentioned anything of that nature to me. Secondly, we have a strong commitment with Rich, a strong contract. We're strongly committed to him and he's strongly committed to us.

"I think it would be unusual that he would be doing that without sharing it with us."

Michigan athletic department spokesman Bruce Madej said he was unaware of any talks.

On the day Carr announced he was stepping down, Martin said he hoped to complete the hiring process quickly.

But LSU's Les Miles withdrew from consideration before he was scheduled to meet with Martin and signed a contract extension with the Tigers.

Rutgers' Greg Schiano said last week after being contacted about the Michigan job that he was staying with the Scarlet Knights.

After a 13-9 loss to Pittsburgh in the regular-season finale knocked West Virginia out of the national championship game, Rodriguez said he wasn't going to be on the move.

"The impact of your name being thrown about is sometimes a little overrated. It probably makes for a lot of angst among families and we don't want that," he said. "Sorry but you all are stuck with me here."

Rodriguez has a 60-26 record at West Virginia. The Big East champion Mountaineers (10-2) play No. 3 Oklahoma (11-2) next month in the Fiesta Bowl.

Last December, Rodriguez agreed to a one-year contract extension through 2013 after he turned down a lucrative offer from Alabama. The extension includes a $4 million buyout clause if he leaves before August 2008. That doubles the amount from the previous contract.

Beilein had a $2.5 million buyout clause in his West Virginia contract, but under an agreement with the university he agreed to pay $1.5 million to the WVU Foundation for leaving for Michigan with five years remaining in his contract.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
Michigan"

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

i love this but what will this do to White and Slaton?

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

How will he beat Ohio State when he can't even handle the pressure of mighty Pitt? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

NUTHOUSE
Waterboy

Post by NUTHOUSE »

I told a bunch of people Michigan's going after Rich when Lloyd left. When WVU got beat by Pitt it locked the deal up with him going there. I hope the #1 QB goes to OSU I think it will be pretty cool they should start him as a true freshman.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

Big mistake on his part. He would have been better off at West Virginia with far less pressure. He got everything thing he asked for at Morgantown, for himself, his players and coaches.

I now put him in the same class as Bobby Petrino. How can you attract players with the old loyality statement when you don't practice what you preach?

He had better enjoy his time at Michigan and hope he stays there a long time because this will be his high water mark as a coach. After Michigan, he won't be a head coach at any type of good program the rest of his life.

Now, can WVU get Jimbo Fischer from Florida State? I know they promised him he would be head coach WHEN Bobby Bowden retires but he looks like he is doing a Joe Pa and will coach until he dies.

Or, will they get Tommy Bowden or Terry? If one of the Bowden boys gets the job, I bet Rick Trickett, who recruited White, Slaton etc comes back to WVU.

Look for WVU to have their head coach named within 48 hrs tops.

This really bites for WVU as the dead period for recruiting starts in a day or 2 so Rich Rod was doing his recruiting for Michigan and not WVU.

Ohio State just went another +3 points on next years OSU vs UM game.
Last edited by mister b on Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Post by RiverRatRay »

That is a real shock! :lol: :lol: :lol:

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

Mister B wrote:Big mistake on his part. He would have been better off at West Virginia with far less pressure. He got everything thing he asked for at Morgantown, for himself, his players and coaches.

I now put him in the same class as Bobby Petrino. How can you attract players with the old loyality statement when you don't practice what you preach?

He had better enjoy his time at Michigan and hope he stays there a long time because this will be his high water amrk as a coach. After Michigan, he won't be a head coach at any type of good program the rest of his life.

Now, can WVU get Jimbo Fischer from Florida State? I know they promised him he would be head coach WHEN Bowden retires but he looks like he is doing a Joe Pa and will coach until he dies.

Ohio State just went another +3 points on next years OSU vs UM game.
how can you say that He did what he said he was going to do at WVu he made that team a winning team and now he thought it was time to move on

He will get the best players for michigan because players like him as a coach and his style

He will coach at Michigan for a long time and if he does leave he will coach another program to make it great again

and to say that OSU went +3 on michigan next year is just stupid and thats just saying that OSU fans are worried and trying to bring him down by bad mouthing him

Great choice for him to come to michigan he will get more at michigan more recruiting and more talent coming his way and He loves the spread something i would like to see michigan run

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

He also said a few days after the Pitt game that he just signed a new contract and was not looking for a job.

Plus, the current players at Michigan are not what he needs to run his offense and I doubt if they give him the time he needs to get them.

Remember, he struggled to win games when he started at WVU and there was less pressure to win there then in Ann Arbor.

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

Michigan's recruitng list just got bigger all those players who were recruited by Rich are adding Michigan to their list

Jenkins has moved Michigan to 4 and Pryor move to one

I think its the spread the high school kids are used to it and can become masters of it

Pryor can run it and Mallet can even run it he might be slow be he is not afraid to run and hes a big boy

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Give me a break Mr.B~! What did he do that was so wrong? Why in the world would you compare him to Patrino? The man took a job at one of the most prestigious schools in the country, what is so wrong about that.

Why is everyone making this out to be such a big deal? He did it the right way, adressed his team, and now has a new home.

Whomever is the new coach needs to be in Ann Arbor as quickly as possible for recruits first of all. If I am not mistaken he has beaten pitt the last 4 out of 6 untill this year, so give OSU all the points in the world you want, we'll see what happends next season.

How was RR not loyal? Get a grip and get a clue! Pryor would not start over Beckman.

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

Pryor has Floridia over OSU anyhow

Looks like that App state loss wasnt all bad
(actually it was but im positive) :lol:

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

Pryor is rooming with OSU commit Michael Brewster at the All-American game, and he is very close friend with OSU commit Willie Mobley. These guys say RichRod to UM still = Pryor to OSU, as of 3:30pm today. He never said UM was his #1. He said "add Michigan to my list." That is a big difference.

Florida is not in this race. Pryor's dad is disabled and he wants to play close to his dad, so he can easily travel to see him play.

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

QB 1 Terrelle Pryor
(Jeannette SHS)
Jeannette, PA 6-6/210/4.40 Florida, Michigan, Ohio State, Oregon, Penn State, West Virginia

thats from scout.com

The Michigan coaching job has caused a stir around the country. Media views it as a great job, but no one has seized it. Rich Rodriguez has been the latest name to surface and Scout.com thinks we just may have found out whether or not he will take it.

Imagine the surprise of this writer as my cell phone rings ten minutes ago and it is the top player on the East Coast Terrelle Pryor telling me that he may have just unlocked the biggest coaching story of the year.
"Add Michigan to my list," Pryor said.

Michigan, the Wolverines? Of course I had to ask is Rich Rodriguez going there because its the only thing that would draw Pryor to Ann Arbor right now.

"I just spoke to Coach Rodriguez about ten minutes ago and he told me he is going to Michigan," Pryor explained. "He said they made him an offer an he can't refuse it."

So if Pryor is correct the Wolverines have found their man and the Mountaineers have lost the native son who this time last year flirted with Alabama only to stay at home.

Pryor is coming off of a state championship as he helped lead the Jeannette Jayhawks to a 49-21 win over Dumore in the PIAA Class AA

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

I know I know I am just excited, cut me a break, lol. It would be a better fit though for Pryor and the spread. Could you imagine Pryor handing off to McGuffie. What a present RR got in McGuffie, fits the style perfectly!

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

ALL is good in Michigan :lol: after a crap year this is a great thing to happen

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

peake wrote:I know I know I am just excited, cut me a break, lol. It would be a better fit though for Pryor and the spread. Could you imagine Pryor handing off to McGuffie. What a present RR got in McGuffie, fits the style perfectly!

The problem is that Pryor wants to play QB in the NFL. The read-option is not the best offense for that opportunity. OSU did things fine with Troy Smith, and JT has shown the offense changes with the personnel.

BTW, I'm not saying no chance, and yes, it's good you're excited. It will be interesting with RRod bringing the blue into C'bus next year.

Also, RRod ran a throwing spread offense at Tulane with Shaun King at QB, so the run-option isn't a must with him. He can use Mallet.

BTW, McCauley, that list from Scout isn't meant to be in order. He has never said who is leading, but he has taken one official visit and it was to OSU. OSU's insider has said Pryor = Buckeye over and over. He is getting that from Brewster. Can it change? Sure thing. I know that.
Last edited by Orestes on Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Oh yea there is no doubt he will use Mallett to the best of his abilities. Mallett ran a spread all threw HS, and he is mobile enough to keep it a time or two. Another thing, I think this plays into Mallets strengths as well running the spread, because he throws it so well on the run.

Back to Pryor. He will be successful in whatever offense he runs. I still thinks he favors OSU heavily with Tenn as close second, but this should shake things up a bit.

The funny thing is that next season we could see three Texan's starting for UM in the same backfield. Mallet, McGuffie, and Stonum. The key for RR is to get his staff together. I beleive he will keep the WR, RB, QB, DC, and DB position coaches.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

If this guy can go down to Pitt :lol: the Big Ten should put a beaten on Meatchicken

Return to “College Sports”