TP the next TEBOW?

Post by abuck76 »

Will Tress sit TP, or play him like Tebow? ..................... :12224

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Re: TP the next TEBOW?

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

There will be games where he will definately play,
there will be game in which he gets significant playing time.

But mostly he will be a situational type QB for most of the season.

That is, unless he comes in and just blows the doors off of all expectations in
summer ball.

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

Any chance he will play another position or strictly QB?? He was the #1 DE and the #1 db prospect in the country. WR?? If played in the "shotginn" formation he could add another dimension due to being able to throw the ball some?? Tebow's size allowed him to play on 3rd and short and in different situations around the goal line but i don't think TP has that kind of strength initially. Size yes but strength wise I think Tebow was just ahead of the game for a frosh, of course TP has a definite speed advantage compared to Tebow even now. TP is too athletic to sit around but IMHO not good enough at making reads or throws to play QB consistantly especially when the focus is on not allowing TOs and also considering that good teams will stack the box this year and make us beat them through the air, or they better. I guess to answer the question, TP has the physical tools to be better than Tebow but hey it's hard to say better than the reigning Heisman trophy winner. Regardless, if tOSU continues to use low precentage pass routes ANY QB will have ups and downs, i.e. the streaks, fly routes, and fades. Very hard passes to make, even for P Manning. The reason I say defense is that against good teams our "d" has really struggled at times, yes they will be more experienced in spots but in my opinion to have someone that athletic and big playing db would be an immediate asset to any team. QBs make the best DBs, remember Steve B??

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

Don't you think tOSU would be a laughing stock to put TP at db.... :12224

Brutus8907
All State

Post by Brutus8907 »

they wont put him at DB. you'd see a lot of very VERY angry fans if they did.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

Plus, it isn't like OSU just lines up and goes man to man on D, though they will with more frequency this season. TP would have to learn the schemes.

He will take 10 to 15 snaps a game as a QB or as an offensive decoy.

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

yes they will use him as a tebow

i dont know like the two's height and weight to compare but Tebow looks bigger

he could also play WR and maybe a little double pass

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

if he can benicia the team, then I'm sure
he will be in the game.
This post has been brought to you via
my new iPod touch! It's awsome

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

I know it won't happen but in an interview even TP's hs coach advised him to not let tOSU coaches see him playing "d" or they just might leave him there. I know he wants to be the QB and will not play any "d", just offering a different point of view. I do think the possibility of a decoy or better yet the "shotginn" formation kinda player. If he is in the game he is too athletic to just be a decoy, try to use all eleven. Another perspective is if he is just the decoy the old Bobby Bowden philosophy comes into play, knock the he$$ outta him for pretending to have the ball.

marshallman
Varsity

Post by marshallman »

He'll be better than Tebow when he is a Sophomore.

fightingtigers45
S

Post by fightingtigers45 »

marshallman wrote:He'll be better than Tebow when he is a Sophomore.

:lol: :lol:

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

Pryor and Tebow aren't really comparable. The only reason both have been mentioned together is because OSU plans to spot play Pryor in his first year.

Pryor is built more like a wingman in basketball or a tall WR, and will run with finesse.

Tebow is more like a fullback who pushes ahead with power for small chunks of yards.

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

tebow 6'3" pretty tall for fullback........Pryor 6'5", we shall see........... :12224

bulldog21
JV Team

Post by bulldog21 »

Pryor will be coming in as a fullback. Bank on it. The Lantern, OSU's school newspaper has reported that Tress wants to build a new offense for Pryor.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

How can anyone begin to compare a QB who has not taken a single snap, to one who just won a Heisman (fisrt soph ever)?

As good as Vince Young was his legs are the only thing that compares to Tebow. They both have completly different skill sets as runners.

marshallman

Pryor is coming from the smallest classification in Penn, yet to play agianst elite competition, and you want to say he is better than Tebow? Come on. THis is why no one can take you serious!

Tebow has elite arm strength, great footwork, ability to escape the pocket, toughness, quality person, great frame, and will be a top 5 pick next year if he chooses to leave. How can anyone begin to compare TP to Tebow now? You can't!

Here is a link of a pic of Tebow last season, you think he is lacking anything compared to TP? http://www.gatormoms.net/gm/images/stories/timmy.jpg

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I'm going with he will play and play a lot.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

OSU's fullback, Curtis Terry, is 6'2". A fullback OSU had in the mid 90's (split time with Keller) was Calhoun. He was 6'3" or 6'4".

My point about Tebow is that he runs more like a FB.

Michigan's defense was ripped to shreds by the Dennis Dixon type of running QB.

Michigan's D bottled up the running style of Tebow. There is a difference.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

I think it has more to do with defensive scheme than it does running style. Michigan if you watched them agianst Oregon ran basically a 3-4 with Crable rolled up as a DE.

Against Florida and Illinoise Michigan ran basically a 4-2 with Ezeh at Mike acting as spy on both Juice and Tebow.

If I were a gambling man I would put my money on Tebow in a foot-race agianst Dixon.

All of those SEC teams sure didn't bottle up Tebow either.

As for his running style---He will throw his body at a defender, but he can also turn the corner. His frame and body is built more compact than say a TP so he can do that.

I am not saying TP will or won't be a stud, but how in the world can anyone begin to compare a kid who has yet to take a single snap to Tebow?

I remember when everyone was open arms about Ronald Curry who was a star two sports athlete who ran a 4.3 and could score from anywhere on the court.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

All I know is that OSU's staff feels that TP will be the best athlete they have ever coached. Plus, Curry was a 6'2" guy with good to great speed, while TP is a 6'5 1/2" guy with good to great speed. Also, TP did play in the All-American game, and showed himself to be the best player on the field. He was still a man among boys.

I would take Dennis Dixon in an on-field race against Tebow. He is a long-strider that reminded me a lot Ted Ginn Jr when he ran. I for sure would consider him more elusive in the open field. Tebow, however, is much more powerful.

Tebow did not rip off runs for huge chunks of yards. He would power away for 3-8 yards at a time. He is a very good player, no doubt, but part of his hype came from UF's lack of a running back. He got the typical scrambling QB TDs, and he also got the RB TDs. Once Florida has a competent RB in the lineup, Tebow's rushing numbers will go way down. Meyer has to be wondering about his health as well. He took a beating last year, and payed for it against Georgia. I think Meyer will give a RB more carries this year, and will lighten Tebow's load.

That's why I think RR will change things around a bit in Ann Arbor. People can talk about Barwis all they want, but Pat White was hurt in lots of big games. RR will have to take the ball out of the QB's hands in the running game more frequently.

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

last 2 posts were very good and full of accuracy.

There is a difference in the 2 and i would assume that all of the scouts agree with that b/c i have heard TP compared to Vick and Young but never really Tebow. I totally agree with allowing the KID to play before building hype that cannot be lived up to but hey we are, along with the media, good at building guys up before they are proven or given a chance to prove anything. I have been incredibly skeptical of his ability to throw the ball as needed in Div I fball. Tebow runs like a fullback but does have speed also. Pryor is what he is, unproven with loads of potential. If I have seen any difference it would be that Pryor is a glider and Tebow seems to lumber with surprising speed. The builds are totally different therefore I don't see OSU having TP run the middle on 3rd and short but Florida had no other option with a mediocre back and a subpar "o" line that became exploited by UM. OSU has a middle runner and a much better "o" line and those 3rd downs will be traditional running downs more than tomfoolery and trickery downs. I think UM proved him to be mortal in the bowl game and also proved that all this SEC dominance stuff is blown out of proportion severely. I personally loved every minute of it. I am not blind to the fact that Tebow was groomed as a QB from a young age and TP is an athlete playing QB. Footwork and mechanics provide proof of that but I would also go out on a limb and say that most of TPs coaches have probably just let him do his thing and called plays around HIM rather than actually stress mechanics or force him to earn playing time. It is hard to say who has more upside but one thing for sure, Tebow has a Heis and TP hasn't taken a snap. With that said I would rather try to stop Tebow type QB than a Dixon type QB b/c of the quick strike ability of Dixon. Tebow can be stopped if all front seven work together and contain and attack and he may be fast but just couldn't outrun a solid TEAM defense or UMs linebackers.

peake, I wonder why OSU didn't pay closer attention to the Mike spy system b/c that darn Juice ran like OJ in the second half against the Bucks?? BTN replays that game like everyday and everytime I say the same thing, "who is watching the middle of the field?" run or pass it was open allday, ALLDAY!

Return to “College Sports”