OSU # 1 In First CFP Rankings

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Re: OSU # 1 In First CFP Rankings

Post by OHHS old timer »

Omega wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:37 am
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:56 am my guess is if people don't like him, it's because he puts god 1st and on a pedestal, as it should be. and people by and large want to see Christian's fail.
You are correct Bait, faith should be paramount in all things but too many Ohio State fans associate Swinney with the Tigers epic 31-0 beat down of the Buckeyes in the 2016 CFP. Fan bases always look for a scapegoat or excuses when their team fails, and OSU fans are no different.
Bobby Bowden used to give sermons at a Baptist church not far from my house. Great no nonsense coach....even better person!!

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ
OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

OHHS old timer wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:56 pm
Valenth wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:52 pm The biggest surprise in this was seeing Penn State at 4th. I would have never guessed Penn State over Clemson... However Penn State has played teams as opposed to Clemson thus far... This strengthens Ohio States resume if they beat Penn State. And Michigan has a chance to still bounce back into the top 10 before The Game if some chaos happens in the PAC12 or BaiG XII. Same with Alabama IF they Beat LSU... They have Auburn waiting... But if LSU wins.. The remaining schedule for the tigers isn't as impressive with Ole Miss, Arkansas and Texas A&M.

Very fluid situation right now..
Actually, an article at CBS Sports yesterday nailed the Top 5. The person wrote that Penn St. has played a tougher schedule than Clemson.
VERY fluid situation...agree 100%. The tree shaking starts now...we will see who is left on the tree in a few weeks

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ
Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:39 pm
Bleeding Red wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:42 am The rankings are really not a shocker.

tOSU has blown out EVERY opponent including top 15 and top 17 teams. Their strength of schedule is near the top of the list of the top 15 teams in the rankings and the have 3 potential Heisman candidates. Top that off with the #1 and #2 offense and defense in the country and they are a clear #1.

LSU is a clear #2 because of their strength of schedule being better than Bama and Clemson and having better wins than Penn State. The Texas win is now not so great of a win (especially being a high scoring, poor defensive game that went down to the wire). LSU is great offensively great but their defense is very suspect and has given up a lot of points to poor and mediocre offenses (Texas, Vandy, etc).

I think you could make a stronger case for Penn State to be #3 than Bama, so it doesnt surprise me at all that Penn State is #4. They have top 20 wins (Bama doesnt), their strength of schedule is WAY better than Bama's and both are unbeaten. And Penn State doesnt play FCS trash teams.

I think the question to ask is rather why Bama is not #4. The winning % of the teams Bama has beaten is the WORST IN POWER 5 and second from the bottom in ALL FBS.

The voters know that Clemson has struggled to boat race bad teams and are not playing to the same level as last year. Add that they are playing FCS schools, narrowly escaped a loss at NC State and Trevor Lawrence is a turnover machine this year and I struggle to even have them in my top 6.

One thing is certain- they committee put a lot of weight on SOS when they released the first rankings and they dont appear (yet) to be giving the SEC all the glory for doing nothing but branding the name.

They did however show no love for the B12 as Oklahoma was behind 3 other 1 loss teams, Baylor (8-0) is behind 5 teams with losses and 2 teams with 2 losses (Florida and Auburn.....go figure).

As for 5-25-
Not ranked high enough:
Baylor
Cincy
Minnesota

Ranked too high:
Florida
Auburn
ND (no hiding getting SMASHED by ttun and then VT blundering away a win against ND in the final minute of the game)
C'mon Red: Not high enough? Baylor will get drilled by Oklahoma, Cincy just barely held on last week against powerhouse East Carolina and Minnesota is about to lose 3 of 4.

Too high? Florida beat Auburn and lost to LSU and Georgia, both top 6 and Auburn beat Oregon and lost to Florida and LSU and they're all Top 10 teams wins and losses.
I will however agree with the Domers. 8-)
Correct me if I'm wrong but are the rankings based on what a team has done and that SOS they have already played or are they based on opinion of what might happen with the rest of their schedule?

We both know the answer to that.

Sure Minny may lose out. Heck some of these unbeatens could have 2 losses in 3 weeks.

Auburn is not a top 15 team. Hell probably not a top 20 team. Have you watched them? No offense at all.

They beat Oregon week 1 and Oregon was without 3 starting WRs. Yes 3! And it was a game decided in the final seconds.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

cbolt wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:07 am Very similar to Tim Tebow. Lots of people don't like him for whatever reasons. Couldn't find a nicer guy, he completely opposite of most the primadonna self centered athletes we see today.
I read a book he wrote about the life of tim tebow. it was captivating.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

OHHS old timer wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:59 pm
Omega wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:37 am
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:56 am my guess is if people don't like him, it's because he puts god 1st and on a pedestal, as it should be. and people by and large want to see Christian's fail.
You are correct Bait, faith should be paramount in all things but too many Ohio State fans associate Swinney with the Tigers epic 31-0 beat down of the Buckeyes in the 2016 CFP. Fan bases always look for a scapegoat or excuses when their team fails, and OSU fans are no different.
Bobby Bowden used to give sermons at a Baptist church not far from my house. Great no nonsense coach....even better person!!
I have heard the same thing from others.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS

Return to “College Sports”