Gasparilla Bowl: UCF 48 vs. Marshall 25

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Gasparilla Bowl: UCF 48 vs. Marshall 25

Post by Chieftain2009 »

December 23 at 2:30pm on ESPN.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Chieftain2009 on Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: Gasparilla Bowl: UCF vs. Marshall

Post by VetteMan »

I know a couple people that post on this Site, that normally attend most of Marshall's home games. I have never heard of the "Gasparilla Bowl", nor do I have any idea where it's located ?

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

VetteMan wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:48 pm I know a couple people that post on this Site, that normally attend most of Marshall's home games. I have never heard of the "Gasparilla Bowl", nor do I have any idea where it's located ?

The Gasparilla or "Pirate" Bowl is played in Tampa at James Stadium. It is sponsored by Bad Boy Mowers.

Marshall gets to cap off a somewhat disappointing season with a likely blow out loss to UCF. The Herd squandered a likely CUSA championship through surprising losses to Middle Tennessee and Charlotte. Since UCF is on par with the Cincy Bearcats who blasted Marshall 52-14, the Herd is a big underdog.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

Marshall has their work cut out for them in this one. I'm interested in paying close attention to #62 at O-Guard for Marshall as he's a local guy from Minford, Ohio.

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Marshall needs to catch up with the times. Bad move leaving the MAC. Zero television exposure. Still relying on bowl games to get a once a year shot on national TV and getting to an area the bowl game can recruit from.

Go Herd

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

countywide35 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:21 am Marshall needs to catch up with the times. Bad move leaving the MAC. Zero television exposure. Still relying on bowl games to get a once a year shot on national TV and getting to an area the bowl game can recruit from.

Go Herd
Yeah, Marshall's move to the CUSA backfired as a matter of bad timing. In 2005 CUSA was a stronger conference when Marshall joined, but fell victim to poaching when the major conferences started to realign. So basically Marshall is now stuck where they are. The MAC would not take them back and Marshall is not in a big enough market to be invited elsewhere. If Marshall football is going to survive I think they will need to downsize to FCS 1-AA status. Better to be a big fish in a small pond when you will never have the assets to run with the big boys.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Omega wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:10 am
countywide35 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:21 am Marshall needs to catch up with the times. Bad move leaving the MAC. Zero television exposure. Still relying on bowl games to get a once a year shot on national TV and getting to an area the bowl game can recruit from.

Go Herd
Yeah, Marshall's move to the CUSA backfired as a matter of bad timing. In 2005 CUSA was a stronger conference when Marshall joined, but fell victim to poaching when the major conferences started to realign. So basically Marshall is now stuck where they are. The MAC would not take them back and Marshall is not in a big enough market to be invited elsewhere. If Marshall football is going to survive I think they will need to downsize to FCS 1-AA status. Better to be a big fish in a small pond when you will never have the assets to run with the big boys.

Well said. National title games. They would give North Dakota State a run every year

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

This is our only game for Monday. Anybody see Marshall with any chance in this one?

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Chieftain2009 wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:40 am This is our only game for Monday. Anybody see Marshall with any chance in this one?
I would really like to see Marshall win this game, and that is why the game is played on the field, and not in the paper. UCF is a pretty good team, and it will be a pretty tall task to win this game. Stranger things have happened before though.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Like to see a Marshall win but UCF are a better team on paper !

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Chieftain2009 wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:40 am This is our only game for Monday. Anybody see Marshall with any chance in this one?

The Herd will definitely have their hands full with UCF...…..hope they can pull it out......Go Herd!!!!

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

VetteMan wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:48 pm I know a couple people that post on this Site, that normally attend most of Marshall's home games. I have never heard of the "Gasparilla Bowl", nor do I have any idea where it's located ?
same here vette, at 1st I thought they was a talkin about sasparilla that you can buy at rural king. awesome pop. then I seen I was wrong. I never heard of it either, but good luck to marshall. and thundering herd fans everywhere.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

vladimir wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:26 pm Marshall has their work cut out for them in this one. I'm interested in paying close attention to #62 at O-Guard for Marshall as he's a local guy from Minford, Ohio.
awesome, I didn't know that.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Go Herd
I agree 100 percent county.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Marshall cant stop giving the ball to UCF. Turnover fest

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:36 am
vladimir wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:26 pm Marshall has their work cut out for them in this one. I'm interested in paying close attention to #62 at O-Guard for Marshall as he's a local guy from Minford, Ohio.
awesome, I didn't know that.
# 62 is Cain Madden, RedShirt Jr. Minford, Ohio

aka Dump Trump. Cain earned that name in tryouts as a walk on. In tryouts, Marshall had a 4-star recruit at DE. During kickout block drills, Cain kept pancaking this guy. The DE was quoted as saying, "Man, I feel like I just got hit by a Dump Truck!" So the name stuck from there.

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

If you noticed on Marshall's last TD from the 3-yd line. Cain drove the DT 5-yds deep into the endzone. He's been dominate all game, and they need to start running behind him more.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Re: Gasparilla Bowl: UCF 48 vs. Marshall 25

Post by Chieftain2009 »

UCF cruises by Marshall 48-25

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Re: Gasparilla Bowl: UCF 48 vs. Marshall 25

Post by Chieftain2009 »

UCF (10-3):

Dillon Gabriel - 14/24; 260 pass yards; 2 pass TDs; 1 rush TD
Greg McCrae - 14 carries; 80 rush yards; 1 rush TD; 18 receiving yards
Marlon Williams - 7 receptions; 132 receiving yards; 1 receiving TD
Richie Grant - Interception return for TD
Dylan Barnas - 6/6 extra points; 2/2 field goals (Long of 36 yards)

Marshall (8-5):

Isaiah Green - 9/23; 173 pass yards; 1 pass TD; 2 INTs; 19 rush yards; 1 rush TD
Brenden Knox - 26 carries; 103 rush yards
Willie Johnson - 1 reception; 70 receiving yards; 1 receiving TD
Micah Abraham - Interception return for TD
Justin Rohrwasser - 2/2 extra points; 1/1 field goals (50 yards)

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:35 am
same here vette, at 1st I thought they was a talkin about sasparilla that you can buy at rural king. awesome pop. then I seen I was wrong. I never heard of it either, but good luck to marshall. and thundering herd fans everywhere.
The story on Gasparilla
https://www.813area.com/travel/gasparil ... brate.html

Return to “College Sports”