UM news, Who would have thought?...

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

UM news, Who would have thought?...

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

Cheater

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4431717

DETROIT -- Several Michigan football players claim the program regularly violates NCAA rules limiting how much time they can spend on training and practice sessions, according to a published report.

Players from the 2008 and 2009 teams told the Detroit Free Press for a story published on the newspaper's Web site on Saturday that the amount of time they spend on football activities during the season and in the offseason greatly exceeds the limits. The players spoke to the newspaper on condition of anonymity because they feared repercussions from coaches.

Michigan finished 3-9 in Rich Rodriguez's first season as coach.
Coach Rich Rodriguez and the university's compliance director, Judy Van Horn, both denied that the football program was violating NCAA rules.

"We know the practice and offseason rules, and we stay within the guidelines. We follow the rules and have always been completely committed to being compliant with all NCAA rules," Rodriguez said in a written statement to the newspaper.

Van Horn said her department conducts "in-person spot checks of practice during the academic year and summer. We have not had any reason to self-report any violations in this area with any of our sports."

One former player who started for Michigan last season told ESPN Saturday night that the report was accurate.

The player, who asked not to be identified for fear of repercussions from fans, said in-season Sundays at the football facility lasted from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., including a one-hour lunch. That would be an 11-hour day. The NCAA daily limit is four hours, the weekly limit 20.

The same player said required offseason workouts included three-hour lifts on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and two hours of speed and agility on Tuesdays and Thursday. That's a total of 13 hours; the NCAA limit is eight hours of required workouts.

This player said he would tell the Big Ten or NCAA what players were required to do and believes most of his former teammates would, as well.

A current member of the Michigan football team, who has started, also told ESPN his in-season Sundays at the football facility lasted from 10 a.m. to 9:30 p.m., although he acknowledged the first two hours were spent in treatment, which is not counted against the restricted hours.

The player said this season players will be off on Sundays, practicing on Mondays.

The player said he worked out about twice as many hours as the allotted eight per week in the offseason. He asked strength coaches why the workouts seemed excessive and was told that some parts of the exercises, such as core work and injury prevention, were not counted as required.

The player said the strength coach told him that the workout plan had been approved by the NCAA.

Players told the Free Press that quality-control staff often watched seven-on-seven offseason scrimmages that are supposed to be voluntary and that only training staff are allowed to attend.

The Free Press said five of the 10 current or former players it interviewed gave similar accounts of how the program is run and a sixth player confirmed most of the descriptions. Other players gave a general idea of the program. None disputed the allegations, the newspaper said.

The players acknowledged they had signed forms stating NCAA rules had been followed and had not told the university's compliance department about their concerns. One player told the Free Press that athletes would get in trouble if they didn't sign.

Peake
SEOP

Re: UM news, Who would have thought?...

Post by Peake »

Same crap new year. Last year it was the report that Michigan was breaking rules by putting kids in the general education program. Typical smear campaign by the Free Press.

This is a post on GBW by freshmen Michael Scholfields Dad.

As a parent of a Michigan Player/Student I find the story in the Freep nothing but nonsense, misinformation, bush league journalism and an attempt to tarnish the great name of Michigan Football, in short it think it is nothing more than ********.

I have posted here long before this article came…and I give my permission to release any/all my post about Michigan football to the press.

As for the Freep, in a time of despair due to job loss, stock market struggling, gas prices high, job outlooks poor, we can rely on the Detroit Freep to attack America’s winningest College football program, East cost to West coast people love or hate Michigan Football, they are admired and or talked down about but always respected…..This being said, to publish information that is unsubstantiated is a poor/low down attempt to gain readers, viewers on a national level and raise the papers ratings at the expense of a great American football team, outstanding players, coaches and parents….

This news papers article is not only an attack on the program but the parenents and players, these kids are working hard….yes going to summer school, learning and getting acquainted to college life interacting with the community, fellow students in the dorms….

As a parent and as I have posted before, the Michigan Education was the most important thing to us, and during recruiting it was made extremely clear that Education before practice/football/games was the goal, the norm and no exceptions….

During the summer Michael spent more time studying going to class bonding with his freshman players and the other students in his dorm. Michael came home for visits, there were no signs of Barwis Police tracking him down…there were NO NCAA Violations, these kids played basketball, catch, and other sport activities with other college kids at the dorm, they went to visit sick children in the hospital and stopped by a summer camp for special needs kids…..where that in the Freep, that’s right that will not make national news…and is the truth…

I was joking with Michael in June when son Andrew came to a Michigan football camp,(JUNE 20) about Andrew being able to work with coach Frey in camp and learn new techniques and Michael who is going to be a player has not and will not get that chance until his camp starts in August…and this is True….

As I have stated in my posts this organization is all about competition, you compete for a position every day, some people cannot except this, they leave, or make comments, and even people outside the organization do not like this “the best player plays” concept and make up stories or comments. This is how rumors start….

Another thing, a poor reporter knows, when you go into a Media Day, and interview players you single out the freshman…they are 3 months out of High School have limited exposure to the media, so you ask them misleading questions . These kids are excited to be interviewed, and excited to put a positive look on Michigan and self serving reporters can get any kid to say what he wants by asking specific misleading information…

There is no practice prison where players are forced to workout hours a day, there are no coaches in disguises lurking the buildings watching players workout, there are no secrete passage where coaches meet players out of the public view….

I’m all in for Michigan…………GO BLUE

I am not at all worried about any of this. After OSU self reported that it broke more rules then anyone in the country, I doubt anything comes of this. They also forgot to say that Michigan does condition and practice on Sundays, but are given Mondays off. Bush league

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

After working with the Athletic Department very closely I can say that the first thing the NCAA will do is ask for records of player times in and out. I have been told that those are kept and very accurate. Michigan will have no problems providing the NCAA records of these times.

The current players that were talking were Brandon Hawthorne and Je'Ron Stokes. They were asked questions that they answered innocently. They said in a nut shell they have been working 7 days a week to prepare for the season. Then former players were contacted.

Anyways, if you have been around a college program you would understand that these time limits are surpassed by every college coach. The problem here is that former players tend to not act like ex girlfriends.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

peake wrote:After OSU self reported that it broke more rules then anyone in the country

Overall, I am staying out of this because I remember people feasting on the MoC allegations. I also remember the recent unfounded allegations about TP and OSU. Those who once threw stones are flailing now.

However, as far as OSU self-reporting, they are the largest AD in the country. Thus, they have more sports, and more room for minor infractions. The infractions included wrestling team members sneaking into a Nickleback concert, and women's volleyball players sneaking into an OSU hockey game.

But yes, I guess the OSU golf team is a cesspool of corruption.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

If UM is guilty, then by all means punish them. Michigan is not exempt from punishment, but allegations are just that. If and when punishment is handed down, then Michigan will have to be accountable, but until that happens, it is all jsut white noise to me.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

Speedofsand wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXl1GkWWGmA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSjK2Oqrgic

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

Its only a matter of time before it all comes crumbling down around RR. He cheats, always has and always will.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Name a violation.....I can name more then one for both of your man crush coaches.

It is all just crumbling down, a single snap has not been taken and all is just falling apart. Your posts have are and will be irrelevant.

If there have been no repercussions by the NCAA concerning the allegations surrounding the USC program, then there will be little of this, even if it is true.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

www.mgoblog.com

Now let me launch into a diatribe about reporters and their lack of critical thinking skills. You are faced with an accusation that Rich Rodriguez didn't skirt NCAA regulations but rode roughshod over them. Presumably he's been doing this for eight years without anyone noticing that he was more than doubling the NCAA's maximum requirements. Do you A) think "wait a minute, there's a disconnect worth thinking about here" or B) uncritically accept the allegation and start screaming hysterically? If you picked B, congratulations, you can have a low-paid job in a rapidly evaporating industry.

Here's A:

"On Sunday, it was lifting, film, dinner and practice," Clemons told Schad. "I usually got out around 10:20. I truly don't want to be associated with the program back there. But I am going to help benefit my teammates back there by speaking and giving testimony."

Here are various items that are non-countable activities according to the NCAA:

a. Training-table or competition-related meals;
b. Physical rehabilitation;
c. Dressing, showering or taping; …
h. Medical examinations or treatments; …
m. Voluntary individual workouts, provided these workouts are not required or supervised by coaching staff members, except that such activities may be monitored for safety purposes or conducted by the institution's strength and conditioning personnel who have department wide duties.
o. The provision of videotapes to a student-athlete by an institution's coach that include a personalized message and athletically related information (e.g., discussion of plays, general workout programs, lectures on strategy related to the sport), provided the viewing of the videotape by the student-athlete is voluntary;
p. Use of an institution's athletics facilities (which may be reserved) during the academic year or summer by student-athletes, provided the activities are not supervised by or held at the direction of any member of an institution's coaching staff.

I am willing to wager many amounts of money that the Sunday lifting was of the variety that fits the NCAA's definition of voluntary, as was the film. The rehab/examinations/dinner and any downtime in between practice and film and other activities definitely don't count. At no point has anyone in the media even broached this possibility. It has not occurred to them. Some of them specifically omit it because it conflicts with their aims*; some are just professional parrots.

When Michigan releases its compliance information, Michigan will check in at four hours of countable activity on Sunday. If they're over at all it will be by a small amount. I bet a dollar.

*(Mostly the aim is to make their story seem awesomer and justify the expense. Rosenberg and his publicly-professed hatred of Rodriguez are another matter.)

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

This is from a Michigan State Insider site. It basically says the same thing about the MSU program that the Free Press was trying to allege. Enjoy.

http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-re l/081609aaa.html

We're almost a full week into it and preseason camp is everything all of us freshmen expected it to be: learning a completely new style of football, working hard every day to try and move our way up the depth chart, meeting new people and trying to fit in with the flow of things, and trying to get used to this totally foreign schedule. A typical day consists of showing up for meetings as early as 7:30 a.m. and being dismissed after our final meeting at 9:30 p.m. In those 14 hours, we have meetings, practice, lunch, more meetings, film sessions, dinner and meetings.

Someone please forward this to Schad or Rosenburg or Angelique or whoever will print this thing.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Chad Henne says ex-players should stop complaining.

http://www.annarbor.com/sports/chad-hen ... -the-best/

Chad Henne: Players complaining about Michigan football team's off-season program 'don't want to be the best'

Posted: 3:44 p.m. August 30, 2009

30 Comments. Comment Now

Chad Henne doesn’t know what it's like to practice under Rich Rodriguez, but the former Michigan quarterback does know what it takes to play major college football, and he said it can’t be done in a 20-hour week.

“Twenty hours is a very, very small portion of what you do, especially if you’re a quarterback at a high-profile school,” Henne, now with the Miami Dolphins, said in a phone interview Sunday. “Twenty hours isn’t enough for you. You have to be in there by yourself, studying film, no coaches around, and doing it on your own. That’s where the leadership comes in and that’s where, if you want to get better and play better, you have to do it on your own.”

Several current and former Michigan players told the Detroit Free Press in a story published Saturday they were required to work out and practice more than NCAA regulations allow.

In season, players can participate in up to 20 hours a week of football-related activities. Out of season, they get eight.

Players can exceed those limits so long as they're not forced to by coaches. Henne, who played under Lloyd Carr, said most put in extra time.

“I tried to be there as much as I could,” he said. “If I wasn’t in class, I’d be down there studying film and trying to get the gameplan ahead of time just so I’m prepared for that week and that game.”

The Flying Dutchman
Varsity

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Not every college player has an NFL future like Henne did. Some actually need to study, get good grades and graduate. This is why they are called " Student-Athletes". I wonder how many articles you are going to post trying to justify that Dickrod is a liar and cheat. For godsakes Peake you are Michigan not WVU, it's time they start acting like it.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Under Rich Rod Michigan posted the highest team GPA they have ever had in the history of the football program.

Chad Henne graduated with a degree, as did Jake Long and Mike Hart.

I don't really understand the premise of your argument. Yes, student athletes do need to get good grades and graduate. I already made your point here moot.

I guarantee that a good majority of the players contacted were ex-players. One I know has been identified---Tony Clemons. Not a big surprise. These guys came to UM expecting one thing and got another. The classy thing is RRod released him from his scholly without any problems. RRod could have made his life hell and not done that. Same with Boren. RRod let him go without incident.

Artis Chambers left the program and was found to be academically ineligible. Kurt Wermers does a Justin Boren on the way out and says he left because of RRod. Come to find out, he failed out of school. When will the players be held accountable? Chambers and Wermers were not even on the two-deep. They didn't even travel with the team. They need to get their priorities in line and take care of their grades first.

I wonder how many articles you are going to post trying to justify that Dickrod is a liar and cheat.

I back up my opinions. Is that so wrong. You can throw out open ended opinions and expect for someone to except them as fact. Not me. I choose to back mine up. I have researched and can not find a single violation RRod has had against him by either the Big East or the NCAA. Yet he is a cheat? If you or anyone else does not think that every team in America does not go over the time allotted to them, then you are naive.

So much is being made over kids leaving the program now. Did you know that when Urban Meyer took over the BG program, they lost 22 players in the first year? When he went to Utah they lost 18, and when he went to Florida they lost 12. If RRod wins 7-8 games this year, none of this will matter.

Now with all of this being said. I can tell you that Pete Carroll and Jim Tressel's program have both been investigated by the NCAA as well. Does that make them cheaters?

I am Michigan, and you and everyone else needs to realize that RRod is Michigan, and not WVU. HE is not coming back to WVU. If you or anyone else wants to call this guy a cheater because he left WVU in a manner that most didn't like, then you and whomever else need to get a grip and grow up. People quite their jobs. Sometimes in a fashion that is considered the right way of doing things, and others don't.

If you read my earlier post, then you would see that I said punish Michigan if they deserve to be punished. Nothing I have read makes me think that anything will come of any of this.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Other former players are coming forward and calling these allegations fabricated.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090831 ... estigation

Others concurred with that evaluation.

"Every team does that, more or less," another former Michigan player said. "Everyone knows voluntary workouts you don't have to be there, but you have to be there. A lot of guys don't even know about the rule, but everybody signed the sheets (indicating you kept to the 20-hour rule). It was never a big deal. Those sheets were signed, and that's the only paper trail there is."

Rodriguez and Judy Van Horn, the university's compliance director, denied any wrongdoing in separate statements released Friday.

"We know the practice and offseason rules, and we stay within the guidelines," Rodriguez said. "We follow the rules and have always been completely committed to being compliant with all NCAA rules."

Van Horn indicated in her statement that her department conducts in-person spot checks of practice "during the academic year and summer. We have not had any reason to self-report any violations in this area with any of our sports."

One current Wolverine said Sunday night that he has never had an issue with Rodriguez or his staff.

"I'm getting a vibe that we were mistreated, that coach Rod and his staff mistreated us," the player said. "Nah, nothing like that. I don't feel we were mistreated."

Sean Griffin, long snapper for Michigan last season, said he assumes most of the allegations are from "disgruntled ex-players or guys who transferred."

He said he frequently worked with the special teams during the offseason and that an allegation in the report that Rodriguez's staff broke rules by monitoring offseason scrimmages was not true, as far as he could tell.

"When I was helping with the specialists, there was never a coach, a graduate assistant, or a quality control coach there," he said. "I wasn't sitting there writing everything down and reporting to a coach. I worked out with a few of the new guys.

"I would just do that because people helped me out when I was younger."

Mike Schofield, father of freshman offensive lineman Michael Schofield, spent much of Sunday on the Internet message boards defending the program. He said his son never has complained about practices or about strength and conditioning coach Mike Barwis' programs.

"Michael was home in summer, and he talked a lot about where they were going out to eat (in Ann Arbor), and I said, 'Don't you practice?' " Schofield said, laughing. "He never has complained about the workouts and the practices.

"He came home, and there was no Barwis police chasing my son around, and at the (offseason) workouts, there were no coaches in disguises and no secret passages. ... This is just the perspective from a parent -- we had a great experience with coach Rod and his staff during recruiting. When the accusations came out, my first feeling was, 'I don't believe them.' "

The Flying Dutchman
Varsity

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Peake,
What was RRod's graduation rate at WVU? (serious ? because I don't know)
Does anything Urban Meyer does surprise me-hell no
Is Pete Carroll dirty? - absolutley
Do other teams violate the same rule-I would think so but we are not hearing about it and every team has transfers and disgruntled players.
Will RRod survive at Michigan? I don't think so. Why? This year they are still young and green and next year they must travel to Notre Dame, OSU and PSU(I think). The fine people at Mich will not tolerate 3 straight seasons of 5 losses or more. RRod and Martin will both be gone in 2011.
I know you love your team like I love mine but sometimes you need to call it like it is. For me it's simple either Weis gets it done this year or he is out of a job.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

I don't know his graduation rate, but I know he was near the top of the Big East in terms of team GPA.

Lloyd Carr won 8 games his first two years. If RRod wins 7 this season and 8 or more next season, he will be fine. Help is on the way.

Your argument has switched from cheating to winning games. I am a bit confused at to what you are trying to accomplish. I think you have to give him a chance to succeed. Last year was an enigma in its self.

For one he has a 4 million dollar buyout, so no, they are not getting rid of him, unless he has a repeat performance of this season.

Only time will tell what will happen, but as of now I support MY coach. I feel I am a true fan, I stand behind MY coach and MY program through thick and thin.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Coach Rod Presser Quickies:

1. He trusts Barwis implicitely (as far as workouts, time-spent, etc)

2. We've always complied with the rules, and our record reflects it.

3. He runs a transparent program.

4. He almost started crying when this stuff came out ... he's so hurt that there are suggestions they don't care about the players ... if goes against everything he believes in. He loves the players like family.

5. He's gotten numerous calls from players and parents saying do what you always do, and help these kids reach their goals.

6. It's unfair to have those roadblocks thrown out that go against the fabric of the program.

7. We deeply care about these kids and programs, and will continue to do so, no matter what you want to read or believe.

8. He had the 2 freshmen quoted come in asking what did they do wrong ... all they said is they work hard. RR had to assure them they did nothing wrong.

9. The positive things going on, why try to tear that up? Barwis is such a great asset to the U, for everyone, why trey to tear something up that he gives his life to?

10. To put it to rest. The guys are hungry. They are close together than I could ever hope for. Its game week!

11. The seniors came to his house last night ... everyone wants a great season .. no one wants to go through what they went thru last season

Speedofsand
Varsity

Post by Speedofsand »

Quote:
I wonder how many articles you are going to post trying to justify that Dickrod is a liar and cheat.

11 :shock:

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Until people like you can back up anything you say with factual evidence.

Maybe next time I will just except something because someone from po dunk tells me to.

Coach Urban Meyer was caught on National TV calling recruits telling them to come to the BCS National Championship Game, in a dead period.

22nd Florida Football Player Arrested Under Urban Meyer Regime

http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index ... ic=38301.0

Urban Meyer has racked up an impressive résumé at Florida, including two National Titles and a Heisman Trophy winner. While it is less publicized, Meyer is also looking to take the lead for active coaches in most arrested players under one head coach.

http://thewizardofodds.blogspot.com/200 ... meyer.html

Tuesday, January 22, 2008
NCAA Recruiting Violations by Meyer?

Granted, we're not up to speed on every NCAA rule and regulation. Who is? But according to Lya Wodraska of the Salt Lake Tribune, Florida's Urban Meyer appears to have violated a couple of rules in his recruitment of Sierra Community College receiver Carl Moore.

As the story goes, Meyer wasn't having much success convincing Moore to transfer to Florida. Then Meyer learned that Moore's girlfriend, Maranda Smith, had competed for UCLA's gymnastics team in 2006, but quit after an injury.

Meyer went to work, contacting Florida gymnastics coach Rhonda Faehn for help. The Gators had a gymnastics scholarship available. According to the Gainesville Sun, Meyer started calling Smith daily back in November.

"He kept asking how Carl was doing and wanted me to come [to Gainesville] and do gymnastics," Smith said. "It was weird. But I really didn't know anything about college football anyway, so it was like I was talking to any other person. Then I started watching TV and I'd see him and I'd say, 'I just talked to him on the phone an hour ago.' "

Meyer's persistence paid off and Moore and Smith are now Gators. But here's the problem, according to Wodraska:

"First of all, as a football coach, Meyer cannot recruit for another sport. By contacting Smith, he broke the rule that all phone calls must be made by a head coach or one or more assistant coaches who count toward the limits of coaches who can recruit in a sport, which is three in gymnastics. Also, since he was effectively acting as a gymnastics coach, he broke the rule that in gymnastics coaches are allowed to contact recruits only once a week.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/22811264/

Meyer's recruiting under scrutiny, report says
Florida investigating coach for potential secondary recruiting violations
CollegeFootballTalk on NBCSports.com
Wildfires not altering UCLA's season opener... yet
K-State picks QB, but won't go public with the decision
Pete Carroll forced to focus on 2010
CU-CSU to be Mile High for the next decade
Michigan may hire independent firm to head investigation
Emotional Rodriguez denies allegations
Razorbacks corner 'arrested' on warrant
Danielson: 'Practicing more than the system allows, it's rampant'

Video: Football from NBC Sports
Rodriguez denies charges
Aug. 31: An emotional Rich Rodriguez defended himself and Michigan football against allegations of rules violations.
Gators ready to dominate
Trojans need someone to lean on
Loss still stings Bradford
Gators prepared to work
Big East Media Day
College football
Discuss: Sound off at Newsvine.com
Our preseason Top 25 | AP, coaches' polls
Preseason picks from magazines | Your No. 1?
Special Heisman section | Hopefuls | Winner?
Preseason All-American Team | Top 25 players
Saturdays breakdown | TV schedule | Bowls
Breakdown of all old, new coaches | Hot Seat
Team of decade | Best game-day experiences
Top '10 NFL prospects | Players who need work
Top cheerleaders | Rivalries | Mascots | Fans
Notre Dame Central: Special section | Blog
First Person: Tailgate photos | Send yours!
Schedules, stats | Sporting News radio

Special feature
Image: Urban Meyer

Preseason Top 25
In-depth previews of nation's best teams

NBCSports.com

Special feature
Cincinnati v South Florida

College cheer
Check out some of the college football cheerleaders from across the country.

NBCSports.com
msnbc.com news services
updated 8:51 p.m. ET, Wed., Jan. 23, 2008

GAINESVILLE, Fla. - Florida coach Urban Meyer is under investigation by the Florida athletic department for potential secondary recruiting violations, the Orlando Sentinel reported on its Web site Wednesday.

The athletes involved reportedly are junior college wide receiver Carl Moore and his girlfriend, gymnast Maranda Smith, The Sentinel reported.

"We are in information-gathering mode," UF senior associate athletics director for compliance Jamie McCloskey said told The Sentinel on Tuesday afternoon. "And we're going to see where that takes us."

This Gator in hot water?

http://blogs.sltrib.com/utes/2008/01/th ... -water.htm

Everyone who follows college football knows the impact former Utah coach Urban Meyer has made at Florida, turning the Gators into a national caliber, and national championship team, after several years of unsatisfactory results. Now he apparently is making an impact on its gymnastics program too, and apparently some NCAA violations if
the story is correct.

In short, Meyer was recruiting junior college receiver Carl Moore, who attended Sierra Community College in Placerville, Calif., along with his girlfriend, Maranda Smith. Smith had competed for UCLA's gymnastics team in 2006, but quit after an injury.

Once Meyer realized he wasn't going to sign Moore without Smith attending Florida as well, he contacted Florida gymnastics coach Rhonda Faehn for help. She just happened to have a scholarship available. The couple are now Gators, with Smith scoring a 9.775 on the uneven bars in exhibition Friday.

Sounds shady, doesn't it? It might just be.

In the story, Smith relates how she talked to Meyer "every day" in November and how he wanted her to attend Florida and compete in gymnastics.

So now tell me what a scum bag Urban is again:)

Return to “College Sports”