mohawkbaseball#1
All Conference

Q&A with Marcus Williams

Post by mohawkbaseball#1 »

Meet a Buckeye: Marcus Williams
Thursday, September 24, 2009 10:00 PM
By Ken Gordon

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH
PHOTO (top): Ohio State senior running back Marcus Williams has been through a lot to realize his dream of playing football for the Buckeyes. (Shari Lewis, Dispatch) It's fair to say that Marcus Williams is not your typical Ohio State football player. He was a walk-on for three years until recently earning a scholarship. He graduated in March, making him one of six players with their degree. And he has been a married man for 15 months. That makes the senior running back an interesting subject:

Q: How much of a relief was the scholarship? Did you have to take out loans to pay your way before?

A: I've actually been pretty blessed with the fact I had a full academic scholarship for my undergrad. So I've been debt-free so far, and I plan to stay that way.

Q: Wow, a full scholarship. What was your high school grade-point average?

A: It was like a 3.96, or something right around there.

Q: You just started classes for physical therapy. How tough of a time are you in for this year?

A: It's pretty rigorous. I got my feet wet in the summer. It was tough, it was a big step up from my undergrad. I spent a lot of time studying. But this quarter supposedly is even a lot tougher, so it's going to be interesting to see how these first few weeks go.

Q: Are you doing hands-on stuff yet, or more book work?

A: The summer was more book work, (though) we had some anatomy stuff when we were working with cadavers.

Q: What was the cadaver work like?

A: You had to get used to it. The smell - you never get used to the smell.

Q: What did you do with them, exactly?

A: We dissect them out. You start with the whole body, you start dissecting out the skin and fat and go through and find all the muscles and just identify them. And later on in the quarter, you get a test on it. They tag different things, and you've got to say what it is.

Q: Did anyone get squeamish?

A: I think every time coming in, there are a few people who fainted at first. But after the first few weeks, people get used to it and it just becomes something you do.

Q: How did you meet your wife (the former Ashley Wilson)?

A: I was a sophomore in high school (in Ironton) and I started going to church with my buddy, and she was there and caught my eye. We started hanging out. Then I came up to school here and she was still back home, and then she ended up getting a job up here (as a dental hygienist). So she moved up and moved in with me, and we took it from there. We were married June 7, 2008.

Q: Do you think some of your teammates envy you, as they go out and try to meet people?

A: I think at times they look and think, 'Man, I would like to get to that point.' Because when they first come in, they're young, they like to go and do their thing. But after a year or two years, they start to realize, 'This gets old quick. Now what?' So you hear guys talking, 'Man, I'm just trying to find a steady girlfriend right now.' So I think it's funny, hearing them talk about their girlfriend problems.

Q: You're on the kickoff and kickoff coverage teams. As a guy who doesn't play much on offense (16 career carries), how seriously do you take special teams?

A: Man, I take it serious. I work hard at it. I take pride at trying to be the best. I go out there every Saturday, and my goal is to make as many plays as I can. I'm not just out there running wind sprints; I'm not trying to running a 60-yard sprint and go to the sidelines. I want to make plays, and so do the other guys. We all take pride in what we do.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/bu ... /meet.html

california kid
Varsity

Re: Q&A with Marcus Williams

Post by california kid »

thats great congrats marcus keep up the hard work

bucking red
Varsity

Post by bucking red »

I hope he is alright.

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

Knee injury...put Marcus in your thoughts and prayers. Wet and slippery on the turf in the 'shoe today.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

best wishes. Great guy. I saw him smiling while he was down though, that is a good sign.

IronTigerMum
Varsity

Post by IronTigerMum »

Thoughts still with you Big Marc for a speedy recovery! Knee injuries are the pits and I know that first hand. Hang in there and get that knee back in working order so you can be up and on your way to your career soon!

california kid
Varsity

Post by california kid »

whats exactly did he do to his knee

BigDintigertown775
Freshman Team

Post by BigDintigertown775 »

Torn ACL. According to his Facebook.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

I know he's out for the season, but does anyone here know how he's doing mentally and emotionally after the injury? I really feel badly for the guy. I hope he's doing well.

california kid
Varsity

Post by california kid »

any updates on how marcus is doing?

Return to “College Sports”