1) Tressel is afraid Pryor might leave OSU
2) Tressel dont want to admit that he is wrong about Pryor's ability

1)who would pick him up?
2)he never will

fightingtigers45
S

Re: THOUGHTS ON WHY YOU THINK JT WON'T BENCH PRYOR

Post by fightingtigers45 »

Pryor gives them the best chance to win.

Also, Pryor will be the starting QB next year...If you bench him now, does his confidence sink to an nonreturnable level? Youre already out of the NC and probably Big Ten race for this year...Let him stick out this year and develop. Freak athletes dont sit the bench.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Tressel is afraid of change at times. Part is he does not want to upset Pryor. When you look at Pryor since he has been at OSU he is not improving. He does give you the chance for the big play anytime he has the ball. He needs replaced or at least be moved around to different positions with the backup QB brought into the game.

This week I think will effect Pryor more than Tressel. With all these questions coming up Pryor has proved he can not read defenses. This will get into his head much like a kicker who keeps missing kicks. I do not think Pryor has it menatally to overcome losing and accept his shortcomings on the field. Tressel does not listen to what is being said or admits to it in public.

Would not be surprised if some OSU fan might show their frustrations like what happened in Buffalo to the player who fumbled the ball at the end of the game.

Pryor is much like a first round draft bust in the NFL who you keep waiting for his skills to show fully on the field. Where as Tressel is falling behind and now Coach Kelly at Cincinnati may have past him as best college coach in the state. Where Kelly can win a game with just about any QB after injuries.

WhiteWhiskers
JV Team

Post by WhiteWhiskers »

Very good post farmer

Wonder how much longer we have to suffer with Pryor

As for Kelly he should be the next head coach at OSU but he'll be at some other top rated team before OSU wises up and sends JT Packing

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

Here is another reason not to bench Pryor.. think about the other players...

DeVier Posey when asked if he thought they should have changed quarterbacks:

"I really don’t think that was an option because that’s our quarterback and that’s our guy. I love him and we love him. He’s a sophomore. He’s going to get better. I don’t know what you guys want. I don’t know if you want a Heisman candidate right now, but everybody’s path is different. I’m going to defend him. He has a lot of getting better to do, but he’s a great player. I love him and we love him and we’re going to get together and when we win, he’s going to be our quarterback."

And.. Brian Kelly is a very good coach. Yet, he was blown out.. BLOWN OUT.. by UCONN... Yes.. UCONN... last year. This happens in college football.

The great Pete Carroll lost to Stanford as a 40+ point favorite. OSU was a 13 or 14 point favorite today.

These are human beings. The players have families, class, girlfriends, and other emotions. You're not going to get the same effort every day.

Florida will probably win today, but they outclass Arkansas all over the field and are at home. They are losing. It happens, and yet, Urban Meyer is a great coach.
Last edited by Orestes on Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cool cucumber
All Conference

Post by cool cucumber »

Orestes wrote:Here is another reason not to bench Pryor.. think about the other players...

"I really don’t think that was an option because that’s our quarterback and that’s our guy. I love him and we love him. He’s a sophomore. He’s going to get better. I don’t know what you guys want. I don’t know if you want a Heisman candidate right now, but everybody’s path is different. I’m going to defend him. He has a lot of getting better to do, but he’s a great player. I love him and we love him and we’re going to get together and when we win, he’s going to be our quarterback."

That is pretty cool...

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

cool cucumber wrote:
Orestes wrote:Here is another reason not to bench Pryor.. think about the other players...

That is pretty cool...

It is. I think some people forget the human element of college football. You can't just bench a guy without the risk of losing your team. The players for OSU love Terrelle Pryor. Despite what other teams' fans would have you believe, he is a rock star at OSU. People love him.

He is struggling. However, I think he has been flustered. The less time JT gives him to think between plays the better. It's like a hitter in a slump.

I would tell him to go out there, have fun, and just "ball."

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

fightingtigers45 wrote:Pryor gives them the best chance to win.

Also, Pryor will be the starting QB next year...If you bench him now, does his confidence sink to an nonreturnable level? Youre already out of the NC and probably Big Ten race for this year...Let him stick out this year and develop. Freak athletes dont sit the bench.

Good post. Also, thanks to you and the other non-OSU fans who have handled the OSU loss with class. It would have been easy to rub it in our faces, but you haven't.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Just because the team loves him does not mean he should continue to play all the time since his play on the field is lacking and not improving. The Atlanta Falcons team and fans loved Michael Vick but have won with another QB. Does Ohio State now play the games not to win but to make Pryor happy? Part of being a good coach is getting your team ready to play with whoever you put on the field. This is college and change does happen. Adapt and overcome. Just because you ask a player after the game about your QB WHAT DO YOU EXPECT THEM TO SAY? Tressel made the change last year to Pryor

You let Pryor take all the snaps if he is improving but he is not. Many of his passes are just being thrown up in the air. He is not playing with confidence. His mechanics in passing are being critized by many.

Let Pryor start but then bring in the backup and move Pryor around. Pryor was always the main man in high school and now he is not. So when he doesn't make the grades in the classroom are the teachers still supposed to pass him. He is not grading out very well on the football field classroom right now. So what is being changed to help the team improve?

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Pryor would be an All-American WR right now.

Is the back up QB very good?

fightingtigers45
S

Post by fightingtigers45 »

peake wrote:Pryor would be an All-American WR right now.

I have also said that Pryor would be the best WR in college football. He would be a top three pick in the draft.

candystore
Varsity

Post by candystore »

cool cucumber wrote:
WhiteWhiskers wrote:IMO it is some of both:
1) Tressel is afraid Pryor might leave OSU
2) Tressel dont want to admit that he is wrong about Pryor's ability

1)who would pick him up?
2)he never will

agreed

candystore
Varsity

Post by candystore »

peake wrote:Pryor would be an All-American WR right now.

Bauserman cant do any worse than pryor, and yes Pryor would be a great reciever

candystore
Varsity

Post by candystore »

Orestes wrote:
fightingtigers45 wrote:Pryor gives them the best chance to win.

Good post. Also, thanks to you and the other non-OSU fans who have handled the OSU loss with class. It would have been easy to rub it in our faces, but you haven't.

well i live in a house with 2 diehard OSU fans in i dont want my butt kicked

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

I agree about TP as a WR athletically, but I wonder about his willingness to go over the middle for the tough catch.

I think OSU's run game would be totally stuffed with Bauserman at QB, because even though TP doesn't run for much, a D still has to account for him. With Bauserman, they would swarm the RB.

Plus, this year, a NC is out of the question. You have to work with the guy with highest ceiling. You also don't want to risk losing your team by benching a guy. Let's also admit that we're not sure TP is being put in the best position to succeed when he is sitting in the pocket for every pass attempt.

OSU needs to run a quick tempo. Simplify the offense. Tell TP to go out and just play. Have fun.

candystore
Varsity

Post by candystore »

Orestes wrote:I agree about TP as a WR athletically, but I wonder about his willingness to go over the middle for the tough catch.

I think OSU's run game would be totally stuffed with Bauserman at QB, because even though TP doesn't run for much, a D still has to account for him. With Bauserman, they would swarm the RB.

Plus, this year, a NC is out of the question. You have to work with the guy with highest ceiling. You also don't want to risk losing your team by benching a guy. Let's also admit that we're not sure TP is being put in the best position to succeed when he is sitting in the pocket for every pass attempt.

OSU needs to run a quick tempo. Simplify the offense. Tell TP to go out and just play. Have fun.

I agree tp has way to much time to think in between plays, Ohio State needs to be a quick tempo team and just run the ball

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

candystore wrote:
Orestes wrote:I agree about TP as a WR athletically, but I wonder about his willingness to go over the middle for the tough catch.

I agree tp has way to much time to think in between plays, Ohio State needs to be a quick tempo team and just run the ball

Yep. JT has had the philosophy of "run the clock" when his team has the ball, because his defense usually can win games. However, I was a lot like Pryor when I played organized sports (in the head). I was best when I could "react" as opposed to thinking about each play to come. I worried too much about making mistakes, and that can be crippling. I see that body language out of Pryor on the field.

However, he has looked good when OSU has "hurried up" the offense. This has happened in multiple games, and he has looked good each time. This makes me think that he is at his best when he is just playing, as opposed to thinking before each play. This won't get him to the NFL as a QB, but JT owes more to the other players than he does to one.

Also, TP going to OSU to become a NFL QB is overstated by OSU fans. He was an OSU fan growing up. Troy Smith was his favorite player. He loved JT's style (which is opposite of RRs even though both win). He was great friends with the other guys in OSU's recruiting class. So, just let him play ball. Mack Brown said he told Vince Young to just play. OSU should do the same. I am tired of looking at TP standing in the pocket.

candystore
Varsity

Post by candystore »

Orestes wrote:
candystore wrote:

Yep. JT has had the philosophy of "run the clock" when his team has the ball, because his defense usually can win games. However, I was a lot like Pryor when I played organized sports (in the head). I was best when I could "react" as opposed to thinking about each play to come. I worried too much about making mistakes, and that can be crippling. I see that body language out of Pryor on the field.

However, he has looked good when OSU has "hurried up" the offense. This has happened in multiple games, and he has looked good each time. This makes me think that he is at his best when he is just playing, as opposed to thinking before each play. This won't get him to the NFL as a QB, but JT owes more to the other players than he does to one.

Also, TP going to OSU to become a NFL QB is overstated by OSU fans. He was an OSU fan growing up. Troy Smith was his favorite player. He loved JT's style (which is opposite of RRs even though both win). He was great friends with the other guys in OSU's recruiting class. So, just let him play ball. Mack Brown said he told Vince Young to just play. OSU should do the same. I am tired of looking at TP standing in the pocket.

good post couldnt agree with you more...but Pryor would be a better fit for Michigan. But i would rather have Forcier

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

It's hard to tell how TP would be in RR's offense. He had an ego that drove him to try a NFL offense, plus he loved everything else about OSU. I think he would start at UM. I really do. JT is a pocket passer guy, as even Troy Smith was a pocket passer by the time he left OSU.

I know a lot of UM fans love to revel in TP's struggles, but it isn't certain he would struggle at UM. It appears to me that he is pressing about his ability to stand in the pocket, make reads, and deliver a pass. He wouldn't be doing that at UM.

Forcier does that a bit, but that is because he is a "pass first" guy. TP would be running the Robinson package, but is a better passer. Robinson would look awful standing in the pocket and making reads.

Return to “College Sports”