ROSE BOWL OHIO STATE Buckeyes vs. Oregon Ducks

Who will win??

Total votes: 0

bigtimehitter
All Conference

ROSE BOWL OHIO STATE Buckeyes vs. Oregon Ducks

Post by bigtimehitter »

OK guys here it is, 4 weeks away. This is an interseting game, what do you guys see happening, predictions??

I'll give mine later....

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: Buckeyes vs. Ducks

Post by Orange and Brown »

We better be ready!! Oregon can move the ball. We might get sent home with our tail between our legs again!

fightingtigers45
S

Post by fightingtigers45 »

I really think this has the potential to get ugly.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

IMO I think OSU will run right at these guys and say stop us if you can. Oregon has yet to see a QB with wheels like PRyor. I really like OSU to win this one by a touchdown. I like OSU 27-20.

With all of this being said, I really do not think this game will remove the stigma attached to OSU at the moment. They would benefit more from playing someone like USC, Alabama, Florida, Texas. They need to beat that big name. No disrespect to Oregon but their name does not carry the respect that USC does.JMO

3morethan2
Varsity

Post by 3morethan2 »

agreed peake....ohio states defense is going to have to play their best game of the year because they don't want to get in a shootout with oregon, tressel's play calling isn't accustomed for high scoring games

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

peake wrote:IMO I think OSU will run right at these guys and say stop us if you can. Oregon has yet to see a QB with wheels like PRyor. I really like OSU to win this one by a touchdown. I like OSU 27-20.

With all of this being said, I really do not think this game will remove the stigma attached to OSU at the moment. They would benefit more from playing someone like USC, Alabama, Florida, Texas. They need to beat that big name. No disrespect to Oregon but their name does not carry the respect that USC does.JMO

Good post.

OSU is 7-0 lifetime against Oregon.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

Solid Defense, no big plays allowed
Solid ball control offense, very limited turnovers
Opportunistic special teams.

This is the Tressel philosophy.
This is how the game will be called from the OSU sideline.

If the Buckeyes play solid defense, and the Buckeye Offense doesn't turn the ball over,
then Oregon won't score more than 17.

bigtimehitter
All Conference

Post by bigtimehitter »

peake wrote:IMO I think OSU will run right at these guys and say stop us if you can. Oregon has yet to see a QB with wheels like PRyor. I really like OSU to win this one by a touchdown. I like OSU 27-20.

You hit the nail right on the head, I've been saying that all year. even though Oregon doesn't carry the the mystical name and history, these guys can play, but i know exactly what you are saying...I'm definetely nervous about this game, our defense is going to have to play the best game they have all year, absolutely lights out :122248

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Re: ROSE BOWL OHIO STATE Buckeyes vs. Oregon Ducks

gahs4ever wrote:SPEED KILLS!

And it's not exclusive to Oregon, the Buckeyes are just as fast.

They are also deeper, and as talented at every position on the field.
More talented at most.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

The Buckeye players, not just the starters, were recruited by teams all across the country.

Many of these teams are heralded for their speed.

The Buckeyes players didn't lose speed just because they became a Buckeye, if they were on other teams
they would be one of those "speedy" players.

Players in certain systems (blitzing, over pursuing, outside running) look faster on TV than players in other systems (containment, bending but not breaking, solid in the red zone D, power running) but they are not faster.

Don't confuse speed with system.

This goes for everyone, not just GAHS, not picking on him, but it was his comment that was quoted

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Lots will be made and of the Buckeyes recent bowl history.
That doesn't make one difference in THIS years bowl game.

But, since people are going to make it an issue, then we should examine Oregon's as well,
just to be fair.

While the Buckeyes have had 3 straight BCS loses, and you can argue that 2 of them were horrible (truly only 1 was),
the Buckeye HAVE been making it to those BCS games, and have an outstanding record of achievement in the BCS era.

On the other hand Oregon has performed as such:
2008: Holiday Bowl (win vs. Oklahoma State)
2007: Sun Bowl (win vs. South Florida)
2006: Las Vegas Bowl (loss to BYU)
2005: Holiday Bowl (loss to Oklahoma)
2004: No Bowl
2003: Sun Bowl (loss to Minnesota)
2002: Seattle Bowl (loss to Wake Forest)
2001: Fiesta Bowl (win vs Colorado) Oregon was #2 in country and screwed by Nebraska being selected to play in title
2000: Holiday Bowl (win vs Texas)
1999: Sun Bowl (win vs Minnesota)
1998: Aloha Bowl (loss to Colorado)

Maybe I expect more out of team that I should be concerned with, or maybe I hold actual performance on the field at a premium,
or maybe I can watch a game and form an opinion other than what Mark May and co. want me to think. But, I see no true reason to actually fear Oregon.

Respect yes, but fear, far from it!!!

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

I agree 100% Dubs.

That is why I pick OSU to win. They have more talent top to bottom and are just as solid at every position aside from runningback IMO.

That is why I say that the stigma attached to Ohio State at this current time is not going away with a win over Oregon. Their name just does not carry the weight of a USC, LSU, etc. JMO

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

I don't think the full stigma should go away with a win against Oregon.
If by a chance they lose, then good Lord look out!!!

I think the perception should change in a positive tilt though, and been seen as a
program that is "on their way back." That statement is ludacris though.

A win against Oregon, combined with an early season win against Miami, will be the launching pad
for a title run next year. That's next year though, and we've got one more game before we start with
the predictions.

ronnie88richards
JV Team

Post by ronnie88richards »

We have to keep the game to our Temp cant speed it up like Oregon likes too, they have a great team an great runningbacks, thats the main thing for this game make Oregon throw, if we play amazing run defense an alright/good pass defense then we will win 21-17,
wouldnt it be crazy to see a shoutout an we come out on top 42-38 haha Much respect to both teams I've been an Ohio State fan since I was young, but I do have other favorites 1 will always be ohio state 2 will always be west virginia 3 will always be oregon.

pbuck
All State

Post by pbuck »

Uh Oh Buckeye Fans you guys are going to get boat raced in this one qwack qwack

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

pbuck, it gives me comfort that you think that.

fightingtigers45
S

Post by fightingtigers45 »

seofan_via_dublin wrote:pbuck, it gives me comfort that you think that.

When was the last time Ohio State was super confident going into a BCS game? The Florida game. Yes, I know, Florida just got drilled before you mention it. But, I am just wanting to prove a point.

Oregon is no slouch. They are legit. I really like their QB. It will be really fun to watch in my opinion.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

Ball control, ball control, ball control.

OSU should be able to collapse the Oregon D-line in the run game. Plus, the more OSU holds onto the ball, the less of the Oregon offense we will see.

I would expect to see a lot of running, but with a bit more creativity mixed into the run-game from time to time.

If Oregon starts scoring, OSU will chuck it around a bit more.

Philos_Finest
All Conference

Post by Philos_Finest »

Personally, I feel great about this match-up. The Pac-10, imo, was pretty average this year. There was little to no defense to be seen.

Ohio State 31
Oregon 21

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

fightingtigers45 wrote:
seofan_via_dublin wrote:pbuck, it gives me comfort that you think that.

When was the last time Ohio State was super confident going into a BCS game? The Florida game. Yes, I know, Florida just got drilled before you mention it. But, I am just wanting to prove a point.

Oregon is no slouch. They are legit. I really like their QB. It will be really fun to watch in my opinion.

And I wouldn't call myself Super Confident. Like I said earlier, Oregon has shown enough to respect them, but far from enough to actaully fear them.

Return to “College Sports”