Riding the Bench

should college football get a playoff system

Post by jungleman »

thoughts :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

the_spectator
Waterboy

Re: should college football get a playoff system

Post by the_spectator »

YES and NO: I think it would be alot better because some teams that isn't that good don't even have a chance at The BCS bowl and they have to go to a little bowl. No because they wouldn't have the other bowls unless they playoffs for every bowl or something.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

I like the Bowls but I would like a real Champion more!!!!

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

Orange and Brown wrote:I like the Bowls but I would like a real Champion more!!!!

i agree O & B. but ido think there are waaaaaaaay too many bowls now :mad:

broncofan09
Varsity

Post by broncofan09 »

I say Yes and No. No because its something different. But Yes because its better. If yes, then i think they should take and break the divisions down into like maybe 3 different divisions. And have 3 different champion teams.

SGHS RBEBELS15
Freshman Team

Post by SGHS RBEBELS15 »

i think i could live without bowls like the San Diego county credit union Poinsettia bowl
If it meant there would be a playoff system

Just_A_Fan
Varsity

Post by Just_A_Fan »

I love the current system we got, the "litttle" bowls give money to smaller schools and some TV time that they normally wouldn't get. Plus when you have a playoff you get what happen at the end of the year in the NFL times rest, cause they would be like all we have to do is stay in the top whatever, and if we lose resting players that is our excuse. IF anything MAYBE a plus one game.

pbuck
All State

Post by pbuck »

in a word YES! Here's my system but u can still use the BCS formula. Use the BCS to get the top 8 teams @ season's end seed them 1-8 then then play the quarter final games as the 4 major BCS game & of course @ there venue & the hire seed would get to travel the closest to the game site then select two venues to play the national semis the a week later the title game it would take 3 weeks start it a the saturday before xmas & it would play u to the first of the year & it would give u a 2 week off period before the tourney starts here's my example

1. Alabama
2. Ohio St
3. USC
4. Florida
5. Boise State
6. Oklahoma
7. Texas
8. Iowa

quarter higher seed gets closer trip to that game
8 Iowa vs 1 Alabama @ Sugar Bowl
7 Texas vs 2 Ohio State @ Orange Bowl
6 Oklahoma vs 3 USC @ Rose Bowl
5 Boise State vs 4 Florida @ Fiesta Bowl

national semifinal @ a stadium in a warm climate or indoor stadium higher seed get closer venue

Semifinals
4 Florida vs 1 Alabama @ Georgia Dome
3 USC vs 2 Ohio State @ Edward Jones Dome ST Louis

Title Game again in a warm climate or indoor venue
Title Game
2 Ohio State vs 1 Alabama @ Dallas Cowboys Stadium

pbuck
All State

Post by pbuck »

& ofcourse keep all the other bowl games that don't matter but I forgot to mention top 8 teams regardless of conference affiliation take the top 8 teams in the country like the NCAA tourney is suppose to do in bball the top 34 after the automatic bids

Mo Rohn
Waterboy

Post by Mo Rohn »

pbuck wrote:in a word YES! Here's my system but u can still use the BCS formula. Use the BCS to get the top 8 teams @ season's end seed them 1-8 then then play the quarter final games as the 4 major BCS game & of course @ there venue & the hire seed would get to travel the closest to the game site then select two venues to play the national semis the a week later the title game it would take 3 weeks start it a the saturday before xmas & it would play u to the first of the year & it would give u a 2 week off period before the tourney starts here's my example

1. Alabama
2. Ohio St
3. USC
4. Florida
5. Boise State
6. Oklahoma
7. Texas
8. Iowa

quarter higher seed gets closer trip to that game
8 Iowa vs 1 Alabama @ Sugar Bowl
7 Texas vs 2 Ohio State @ Orange Bowl
6 Oklahoma vs 3 USC @ Rose Bowl
5 Boise State vs 4 Florida @ Fiesta Bowl

national semifinal @ a stadium in a warm climate or indoor stadium higher seed get closer venue

Semifinals
4 Florida vs 1 Alabama @ Georgia Dome
3 USC vs 2 Ohio State @ Edward Jones Dome ST Louis

Title Game again in a warm climate or indoor venue
Title Game
2 Ohio State vs 1 Alabama @ Dallas Cowboys Stadium

I completely agree. 8 teams wouldn't hurt the season and having several games far away from the schools won't hurt the fan turnout at all. Lets use Ohio State in your example. They play in Miami one week, then the next week in St. Louis and the next week in Dallas. Ohio State would easily travel well to each of those places.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

cdiddy wrote:College football fans could never make that many trips in a row you dullard.

The intelligence level on this board is insufferable.

Someone demonstrate how college football fans could make two or three trips in a row. Let's try having some well-thought-out discussions, if that's not too hard for you folks.

A. There is no need for name calling!!!

B. Each team has fans all over the country that would love to see there team play close to where they live.
I'll use Ohio State as an example. Everyone talks about how well they travel and that is true but the truth is there are thousands of Ohio State fans that all over the country that will snatch up tickets whenever the Buckeyes play close to where they live.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

cdiddy wrote:Remarkably dimwitted.

I know people in the business of putting people in seats. It's a tough sell just getting people to one bowl game. It would be impossible to get that kind of travel back-to-back. They say it is impossible. This isn't a 20,000 seat basketball arena.

Not to mention the poor choice of using Ohio State as an example. They are the best shot at filling a stadium. What happens when Boise State plays TCU? If they won't play, what is the point in the playoff but to get these wiener teams in the game?

Do a little research before you post.

No one is going to listen to or respect anything you post on here unless you get a little bit more respectful. I understand that you feel like you got real power because you can hide behind your computer and say whatever you want, but you won't last long like that.

LoganElm_grad09
Varsity

Post by LoganElm_grad09 »

Every system has it's flaws. Just like people say X teams should be in the BCS over Y team, Y team could be left out of playoffs with an argument on why they should be in over X.

I like the bowl system because it gives smaller schools exposure like OU, like East Carolina, like Boise, etc etc etc etc. Every time a mid major plays a non-big ten BCS school, I root for the mid-major because it's a victory for the little guys.

If we had a playoff, I'd say have 32 teams. That's ~25% of the teams in the country so you'd have the best mid-majors and the BCS teams with a legit shot of winning. Base it on SOS and you have a tournament.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

So why do we need a championship game again? Someone remind me how 100 years of college football without a title game were somehow wasted. I liked the old system where you win your conference, you go to the bowl game tied to your conference and play the team that won the other conference tied to it or the best team that was invited. I don't want college football after New Years Day. We've got the NFL for that. Who likes the BCS game being played on a Thursday night after New Years when the Holidays are over and everyone is back to work? Was it the end of the world to have champions determined by polls? What is wrong with split champions?

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I STILL SAY NO WAY THAT BOISE STATE/ALABAMA. SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN CO-NATIONAL CHAMPIONS THIS YEAR. IT'S BULLCRAP.

pbuck
All State

Post by pbuck »

cdiddy wrote:College football fans could never make that many trips in a row you dullard.

The intelligence level on this board is insufferable.

Someone demonstrate how college football fans could make two or three trips in a row. Let's try having some well-thought-out discussions, if that's not too hard for you folks.

making to many trips REALLY most all of the major programs who would most likey be in the tournament only play 4 or 5 roads games anyway & also there all in close range because there conference games. Basketball doesn't bring in nearly as much renenue to a school that football does & the travel about 10-15 times just in the regular season football could easily pull it off & all the games would be sell outs

svboy
JV Team

Post by svboy »

I think there should b playoffs in college football

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

No because it takes away from the regular season. If you make a playoff tehn the regular seaosn dont mean as much. Right now as it is every game is a playoff game to reach that #1 or #2 spot to get to teh title game.

Bear
Freshman Team

Post by Bear »

Then why have playoffs on any level? Every game is important in a playoff system. Even now we see 1 and 2 lose teams in the conversation for the mythical national championship. How would adding a playoff system to determine which team is best take away from that? It's the only level of football that people make such a ridiculous argument.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

Every game isn't as important in a playoff system. Look in a playoff system you can lose 1 or 2 and it doesnt matter as long as you win your other games in football. It doenst matter what other teams do as long as you win. Now in the Bowl games eery game whether it be Boise State vs. Idaho or Ohio State Michigan taks on more importance throughout the country based upon the BCS standing. Every game is important where as in a playoff system who cares what Boise is doing as long as my team wins.
Think about this how many college basketball games do you watch a season? Beside your own team how many other teams do you watch? Now compare that with Football how many games do you watch and how many other teams do you watch? Every game is important in college football as opposed to college basketball.

Return to “College Sports”