Valley @ Burg (Boys)

Looking for games? Updates on travel, youth, jr high or AAU.. Post here
SportsFiend
Riding the Bench

Valley @ Burg (Boys)

Post by SportsFiend »

The Burg 7th grade boys put up another big win with a final of 58-26 (I believe). These guys have started a trend with the big scores, wide leads, and margin of victory thus far. Gotta give it to the Valley boys though. Hard fought and they never seemed to lose heart. Got some great Valley kids on both teams there.

The Burg 8th grade boys pulled out a wild one winning 56-55 in OT. They were down by 2 points when Mohebian put up a three pointer with 0.5 seconds on the clock. Then things got interesting...with the crowd. Words were exchanged. Threats were made. Sheriff was called (but stayed outside). Not pretty.

On to South Webster on Thursday night.

newburgfan
Waterboy

Post by newburgfan »

Let me guess. Not one school age kid was responsible for the sheriff being called...it was adults wasn't it? Go ahead, tell me I'm right...it was adults.

91Grad
JV Team

Post by 91Grad »

To start I'm a Burg fan, but when the ref said he made a bucket when he got fouled for Burg and he clearly did not make the bucket and awarded Burg 2 points + a foul shot late in the 4th quarter,thats what got everyone for Valley all upset and then to get beat that way in OT set some Valley fans over the edge..I would say Burgs next meeting with Valley @ Valley will be one no one will want to miss.Congrats to both teams 7th and 8th grades on there wins and undefeated season thus far.and like you said SportsFiend the 7th grade is putting a hurten on everyone they play. I hope that holds true the rest of the this year and every year after that. A solid club with some special athletes..

Keep it up Burg.....Go Pirates.....

falconflyer
Freshman Team

Post by falconflyer »

Any 7th grade team with McBee on it is going to be good.

SportsFiend
Riding the Bench

Post by SportsFiend »

McBee is a special kid and I would never, ever try and take anything away from him, but he is not the only one on that team. Like I have said before, they are deep in talent. Combine him with Massie, Acree, Arthur, Moore, and Cowgill and you've got the makings of some great basketball games.

And to answer your question above, yes, it was all "adults." There were some very bad calls that went both ways. The 8th grade game at Valley later this season will not be pretty.

falconflyer
Freshman Team

Post by falconflyer »

I don't know the circumstances of the Burg Valley game but it is a shame that the adults got so out of hand. I have noticed something over time, there is such a strong belief at Valley that their 8th grade class is the ONE that losing is not an option. Considering Burg played without their best player, I don't give Valley much of a chance the next game if Whitley is able to play. I am not taking anything away from Valley's 8th graders but pee wee and junior high talent has a wauy of evening up the older they get. I agree that Burg's seventh grade has a couple of other decent plauyers but I stongly believe and predict that McBee will exceed them all and make any team that he is on a lot better.

91Grad
JV Team

Post by 91Grad »

Last edited by 91Grad on Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ptown Playmaker
Varsity

Post by Ptown Playmaker »

what happened to whitley? why didn't he play?

SportsFiend
Riding the Bench

Post by SportsFiend »

^^^^^^^^^

During the West game, he injured the same knee that he had surgery on last year. Nothing was torn but he was unable to practice all week. Word is that he should be playing Thursday against South Webster.

falconflyer
Freshman Team

Post by falconflyer »

I think that it is really hard to project 7th graders into high school. Physical maturity in the seventh grade and age can vary widely, and things have a way of evening up.

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

falconflyer wrote:I think that it is really hard to project 7th graders into high school. Physical maturity in the seventh grade and age can vary widely, and things have a way of evening up.

I would agree... If you look at this years Burg Varsity, this team had been pretty much uncontested in Jr. High winning by huge margins. Most of this team is still together on the varsity roster. Now in most cases, every game this season they will be challenged. It all depends on the maturity level of the players at the jr high level.

I believe this is why the 8th grade bunch is now 5-0 after a tough 7th grade season. These kids have matured over the period of a year and now are playing more competitively with the other dominant teams in the league.

This group should be a solid bunch when they get to the varsity level, but others will catch up and be competitive.

falconflyer
Freshman Team

Post by falconflyer »

Whitley helps also, but I agree.

91Grad
JV Team

Post by 91Grad »

falconflyer wrote:I think that it is really hard to project 7th graders into high school. Physical maturity in the seventh grade and age can vary widely, and things have a way of evening up.

I agree when things start evening up as they get older it depends on kids work ethic and his heart on what kind of player he turns out to be in High School...Time will tell with this 7th grade bunch..They are all great kids

bushmaster24
JV Team

Post by bushmaster24 »

the 7th grade from burg may get some compettion next year heardlast night at varsity game 8 starters from football and 6 from b-ball from minford 8th grade are putting in reqoest to be held back next year. if this is true watch out!! ;-)i know one of the fathers of one the players and he is on a mission to do this.

falconflyer
Freshman Team

Post by falconflyer »

Dead end. Minford does not grant social hold backs. Like Whitley in WB, they will have to go to another school for a year and then come back.

bushmaster24
JV Team

Post by bushmaster24 »

woo, i think i heard the "lawyer" word last night.. ;-)

91Grad
JV Team

Post by 91Grad »

bushmaster24 wrote:the 7th grade from burg may get some compettion next year heardlast night at varsity game 8 starters from football and 6 from b-ball from minford 8th grade are putting in reqoest to be held back next year. if this is true watch out!! ;-)i know one of the fathers of one the players and he is on a mission to do this.

Why would parents do that?? Because they hate another school or athlete sooooo bad that they tell there kids I'm holding you back to beat Burg or any other school that's winning,from what I have seen this year in JR. High with parents @ ball games is unbelieveable..
Last edited by 91Grad on Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ptown Playmaker
Varsity

Post by Ptown Playmaker »

91grad........I don't believe any kid should be held back.....that being said, I know 3 or 4 of your 7th grade starters are old enough to be playing 8th grade basketball.....I believe up there its called "pre-first" grade or something that allowed them an extra year to mature.

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

In my opinion holding a kid back is solely based upon each case. Main focus should be for academic or social reasons giving them an extra year to mature. I do not agree holding a kid back for athletic gains although this seems to be getting more common.

As stated earlier, it catches up around their junior year no matter what their age. If the kid is a decent athlete and works hard he will not have any trouble playing sports in high school.

bushmaster24
JV Team

Post by bushmaster24 »

i agree on the holding back thing it should be used case by case . then again when u have kisd from other schools that are 12or have just turned 13 8th graders.playing 13 soon to be 14 kids it makes a big differance. i dont think it has anything to do with hating any one schooljust trying to compete on the field and in the classroom.the team we played the other night had 2 7th graders older than 4 of our 8th graders starters.

Return to “JR High, AAU, Travel, Youth League Sports”