Junior High Girls Basketball County Tournament at Webster

Looking for games? Updates on travel, youth, jr high or AAU.. Post here
bleacherwarmer
Freshman Team

Junior High Girls Basketball County Tournament at Webster

Post by bleacherwarmer »

Who won the 7th and 8th grade girls games at Webster. I'm sure that Oakhill took 1st in the 8th but I haven't heard about 7th.

MightyOaksFan
SE

Post by MightyOaksFan »

Oak hill won the 8th grade game something like 40-18 or somthing along those lines.

I am not sure who won the 7th grade game. Sasquatch keeps talking about Ports. West but has not posted whether or not they won or not.

falconflyer
Freshman Team

Post by falconflyer »

The 7th grade game was not played. The teams were there and the players were there, and West decided to go home due to the weather Monday night. I don't know if the game will be rescheduled. SW said it would not be in their gym.

bleacherwarmer
Freshman Team

Tournament

Post by bleacherwarmer »

Can there be co-champions for the county tournament. Upon seeing this I asked around and some say the game will not be rescheduled.

jeepgirl_4life
Riding the Bench

Post by jeepgirl_4life »

I hope I'm correct in this statement.
Due to the weather, the game between West & Minford was not played. Both teams left after being at the tourney. Not sure who will host and when. South Webster will not be hosting this game.

You gotta love a kid that works hard and has heart!
big-train
Freshman Team

Post by big-train »

they should,started there it should end there!

Sasquatch
Waterboy

Post by Sasquatch »

I think it was rescheduled but not sure on when and where.

big-train
Freshman Team

Post by big-train »

weds. feb. 20 5:30 @ clay high school,SW wanted no part of it????????

bushmaster24
JV Team

Post by bushmaster24 »

what a poor way of handling this game . i think someone else should host the tourney next year what a money maker why doesnt it rotate from school to school.

local superstar
All State

Post by local superstar »

Have to say I agree...South Webster should have taken the one hour it would have taken up in one of their gyms to have this game! Kind of amazing! And also to rotate it is a great idea! Anyway, good luck to the girls from West...I will be rooting for you. :-D

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

If I remember right, Valley hosted the tournament for a number of years, they decided not to host anymore. South Webster stepped in about 6-7 years ago and took it over. I am thinking the baseball coach at the time was the one that headed it up. Why doesn't it rotate?
What other schools in the SOC can host it? You need two gyms (not cracker boxes) and many volunteers. I think people would start out thinking it was a good idea only to see what a headache it really would turn out to be.
Webster has two nice gyms that can accomodate a good atmosphere for the 7th and 8th graders.

jeepgirl_4life
Riding the Bench

Post by jeepgirl_4life »

South Webster had done a very good job over the years hosting this tournament. It takes more than an hour to finish this tournament. Both teams were in the school and opted to leave.

There is also a cost. The officials were paid for being their. Someone was paid to run the clock. There is the cost of the additional custodian staff, school staff to supervise, etc. All these individuals were there and paid for showing up to work.

Not to mention all the other volunteers it takes to do this kind of thing. It is a big undertaking and does require a lot of volunteers and paid help to pull it off.

South Webster is also still in the tournament race with the girls team and baseball and softball use the gyms for practice time too. There is a small window of opportunity to accomodate everyone's needs.

big-train
Freshman Team

Post by big-train »

SW dopped the ball on this one,shouldn't have been any games played last mon. with the weather forcast,their responsibility to finish what they started.

jeepgirl_4life
Riding the Bench

Post by jeepgirl_4life »

big-train wrote:SW dopped the ball on this one,shouldn't have been any games played last mon. with the weather forcast,their responsibility to finish what they started.

That was the only game not played that evening. The other 7:30 game was completed.

little doggy
Freshman Team

Post by little doggy »

Yes the other game was completed, and if I am not mistaken valley left one of their buses at south webster because the weather was so bad, and numerous people said it took them over an hour to get home. maybe it is time for another school to take this tournament on

re
Waterboy

Post by re »

:?: if I am wrong let me know but I do believe the point guard for west was sick and not at the game that night and west was the one's who left .While the 8th grade played,some of the 7th grade kids stood in the doorway of the 8th grade game . 7th grade could have played...

jeepgirl_4life
Riding the Bench

Post by jeepgirl_4life »

re: that's interesting. i know a lot of kids have been sick with the flu. but not a good reason to not play the game. our boys team had quite a few guys who played with it.

another thread expressed what a good job SW did at hosting the tourney. and on this thread we're not worthy?

Sasquatch
Waterboy

Post by Sasquatch »

Who cares if someone was sick!! The roads were very, very bad...Think about it!!!
It is the schools responsibility (both schools) to make sure of safe travel to and from the ballgames..That was a good call to send the kids home..A ballgame can be played anytime but a life can not be brought back anytime!!!

local superstar
All State

Post by local superstar »

Wow, that is quite an accusation and you are irresponsible to put something so invalid on here about West kid being sick!!!!!!! The West team was ready to play, parents were ready to stay and take their kids home themselves but the AD said absolutely not, to bring the bus home with kids. When the parents got outside, they realized why, it was very bad out and 12 miles on 140 with certain areas due to close off, cars going 20mph, it was the right call. So RE have some class and keep your stupid remarks and thoughts to yourself, because West has more than one good point guard!!!!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

falconflyer
Freshman Team

Post by falconflyer »

It was unfortunate that the weather call was made so late but in retrospect it was the correct call for safety. Standing in the gym with the Valley and South Webster boys going ahead and playing it seemed questionable, but driving hme it was clear the decision was correct. Add that West had a longer drive than anyone else and that the West players may have had a long trip from their school to their home I think safety prevails. I personally haven't known many people from West that weren't willing to compete.

Return to “JR High, AAU, Travel, Youth League Sports”