8th Grade Jr. High Basketball

Looking for games? Updates on travel, youth, jr high or AAU.. Post here
Baller156
Waterboy

8th Grade Jr. High Basketball

Post by Baller156 »

BASKETBALL SEASON IS AMONG US!!! Who are some of the good teams around and who are some players to watch? Where would you rank the teams?

TIGER#27
JV Team

Re: 8th Grade Jr. High Basketball

Post by TIGER#27 »

Waverly hands down.
Trey Robertson
Will and Wade Futhey
Penn Morrison
Markie Stulley

Attitude, Effort and Hustle
You control that.
countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

JACKSON HANDS DOWN

Drew Bragg
Holden Blankenship
Tristan Prater
Blake Brown
Woodrof
Hughes
and so forth...they are deep

not gonna get to see Jackson vs waverly though.......not on the schedule.....(lucky for the tigers)

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I’d guess Meigs has the men to beat Waverly in a matchup. Waverly is great. Lighting guards Robertson and Stully. Futhey is a man amongst boys. Meigs has a 6’1 kid to limit him. These teams would beat each other. Meigs definitely one of the top players as well.

Jackson may not have everyone from last year...if true it knocks them back some but even without are a top 3. Drew Bragg is outstanding. Holden Blankenship a big game player. Some borderline starters last year have really grown. Jackson could start with a 6’0, 5’11, 5’10, 5’10, lineup depending on who comes out.

Jackson and Meigs went at it last year as 18-0 teams...officials kept big players on bench and Jackson led by 3 late but Meigs prevailed.

I would say:

1. Meigs/Waverly
3. Jackson (right there and can beat them)
4. Logan Elm
5. Fairland
6. Logan
7. Vinton Co
8. South Webster
8. Eastern Brown
9. Lynchburg Clay
10. Chillicothe

Tcat1
Riding the Bench

Post by Tcat1 »

Meigs is easily the best team in Southeastern Ohio. Any list without Trimble in the top 5 is just not right. The Guffey boy is as good as any in the area.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Tcat1 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:59 am Meigs is easily the best team in Southeastern Ohio. Any list without Trimble in the top 5 is just not right. The Guffey boy is as good as any in the area.
I can’t speak of Trimble, tell us more. I’ve seen most teams in the past few years, have never crossed Trimble. I know Trimble always has good athletes. Who were the good teams they beat? Best teams they played?

Saying Meigs is easily the best team just means you haven’t seen Waverly and Jackson. How many of those teams I listed have you seen or played against?

I also haven’t seen Warren and believe they have two teams and always a great program in place.

Meigs has 2 of the top 10 players in the district and great PG athlete and a man athlete coming off the bench. Waverly has maybe the most imposing player in Futhey and Robertson has made his name for a long time. Mix in Stulley with his relentless energy and game and then Futhey’s brother locks down the best offensive player. Jackson has the Bragg kid a top level player for sure and IMO better depth than every other team.

TIGER#27
JV Team

Post by TIGER#27 »

countywide35 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:36 am JACKSON HANDS DOWN

Drew Bragg
Holden Blankenship
Tristan Prater
Blake Brown
Woodrof
Hughes

not gonna get to see Jackson vs waverly though.......not on the schedule.....(lucky for the tigers)
Wow, would have loved to seen this game.
Waverly's group I believe have never been beat. So it would be nice to see the starters play a full game, as they are usually up by 30 after 1 and get pulled.

You control that.
TIGER#27
JV Team

Post by TIGER#27 »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:22 pm I’d guess Meigs has the men to beat Waverly in a matchup. Waverly is great. Lighting guards Robertson and Stully. Futhey is a man amongst boys. Meigs has a 6’1 kid to limit him. These teams would beat each other. Meigs definitely one of the top players as well.

Jackson may not have everyone from last year...if true it knocks them back some but even without are a top 3. Drew Bragg is outstanding. Holden Blankenship a big game player. Some borderline starters last year have really grown. Jackson could start with a 6’0, 5’11, 5’10, 5’10, lineup depending on who comes out.

Jackson and Meigs went at it last year as 18-0 teams...officials kept big players on bench and Jackson led by 3 late but Meigs prevailed.

I would say:

1. Meigs/Waverly
4. Logan Elm
5. Fairland
6. Logan
7. Vinton Co
8. South Webster
8. Eastern Brown
9. Lynchburg Clay
10. Chillicothe
Gotta find a way to get Waverly and Jackson to play. It's a shame they don't. Maybe a preseason game. Who can we call?

You control that.
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

TIGER#27 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:52 am
Ironman92 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:22 pm I’d guess Meigs has the men to beat Waverly in a matchup. Waverly is great. Lighting guards Robertson and Stully. Futhey is a man amongst boys. Meigs has a 6’1 kid to limit him. These teams would beat each other. Meigs definitely one of the top players as well.

I would say:

1. Meigs/Waverly
4. Logan Elm
5. Fairland
6. Logan
7. Vinton Co
8. South Webster
8. Eastern Brown
9. Lynchburg Clay
10. Chillicothe
Gotta find a way to get Waverly and Jackson to play. It's a shame they don't. Maybe a preseason game. Who can we call?
They always played when they were younger. In 4th grade they trounced us but there were two Jackson based travel teams. In 5th grade a couple players came over to ours and Waverly beat us both times but games were much closer and we could beat everyone else. In 6th grade there was only 1 team and kids all used to each other. We beat Waverly 3x (2,5 and 7 points)....in 7th grade we added a starter that played on Wellston team and a good bench player from Jackson, but had played with Wellston team.

Over the last year the Futhey kid was really a difference maker with his size and strength. Many of our starters and rotation players have grown a lot and about caught up with our 6’0 and 5’11 kids. Our top 8 kids all are good shooters and only one I don’t trust or want shooting 3’s is my kid lol.

Playing man to man...Waverly probably gets us because we still aren’t great at that yet but a lot of improvement last year in the right direction.

TIGER#27
JV Team

Post by TIGER#27 »

Ironman92 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:32 pm
TIGER#27 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:52 am

I would say:

1. Meigs/Waverly
4. Logan Elm
5. Fairland
6. Logan
7. Vinton Co
8. South Webster
8. Eastern Brown
9. Lynchburg Clay
10. Chillicothe
They always played when they were younger. In 4th grade they trounced us but there were two Jackson based travel teams. In 5th grade a couple players came over to ours and Waverly beat us both times but games were much closer and we could beat everyone else. In 6th grade there was only 1 team and kids all used to each other. We beat Waverly 3x (2,5 and 7 points)....in 7th grade we added a starter that played on Wellston team and a good bench player from Jackson, but had played with Wellston team.

Over the last year the Futhey kid was really a difference maker with his size and strength. Many of our starters and rotation players have grown a lot and about caught up with our 6’0 and 5’11 kids. Our top 8 kids all are good shooters and only one I don’t trust or want shooting 3’s is my kid lol.

Playing man to man...Waverly probably gets us because we still aren’t great at that yet but a lot of improvement last year in the right direction.
Looks like I'm going to have to come watch them Jackson boys this year. Good Luck to your son and the Jackson team.

You control that.
toast
All State

Post by toast »

Ironman92: Several nice post..thanks for your fair and honest assessment. Interesting top ten; it will be fun keeping an eye on those teams and see how they do. Minford and Wheelersburg should both have nice squads as well. Minford really had good size the best I remember. Burg was athletic. Southeastern out of Ross County should be strong also.

Waverly and Jackson are pretty even it would seem. It looks like Waverly will have one, maybe two of their top players from last year not coming out. We will see. We were awful thin the way it was so this is a concern.

I'm wondering which team has more of an upside...Waverly or Jackson? I believe the Waverly kids are all pretty young for 8th graders and should have more growing and maturing to come yet. At least we hope so :)

Tiger#27- You have a good handle on those Tigers! Root them on to victory :) Can't wait to get this season started.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

toast wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:38 pm Ironman92: Several nice post..thanks for your fair and honest assessment. Interesting top ten; it will be fun keeping an eye on those teams and see how they do. Minford and Wheelersburg should both have nice squads as well. Minford really had good size the best I remember. Burg was athletic. Southeastern out of Ross County should be strong also.

Waverly and Jackson are pretty even it would seem. It looks like Waverly will have one, maybe two of their top players from last year not coming out. We will see. We were awful thin the way it was so this is a concern.

I'm wondering which team has more of an upside...Waverly or Jackson? I believe the Waverly kids are all pretty young for 8th graders and should have more growing and maturing to come yet. At least we hope so :)

Tiger#27- You have a good handle on those Tigers! Root them on to victory :) Can't wait to get this season started.
Hard to say on the upside. Jackson always struggles to keep their athletes in basketball. Most of our kids play football and 2-3 could choose to really focus on football. Our two best offensive players are 13 for a couple more months. Couple kids that spot started last year will likely be the tallest kids down the road and both can play.

I thought Waverly kids were a grade above when they were younger but probably just playing up.

Funny story. Back in 3rd grade we got into a tournament in Rio for 3rd/4th graders. We were low on players and not very good and Trey Robertson played for us in that tourney. First game he hit 6 3’s in the first half against a 4th grade team. Everyone was like...who is that kid?

TIGER#27
JV Team

Post by TIGER#27 »

Ironman92 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:07 pm
toast wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:38 pm Ironman92: Several nice post..thanks for your fair and honest assessment. Interesting top ten; it will be fun keeping an eye on those teams and see how they do. Minford and Wheelersburg should both have nice squads as well. Minford really had good size the best I remember. Burg was athletic. Southeastern out of Ross County should be strong also.

Hard to say on the upside. Jackson always struggles to keep their athletes in basketball. Most of our kids play football and 2-3 could choose to really focus on football. Our two best offensive players are 13 for a couple more months. Couple kids that spot started last year will likely be the tallest kids down the road and both can play.

I thought Waverly kids were a grade above when they were younger but probably just playing up.

Funny story. Back in 3rd grade we got into a tournament in Rio for 3rd/4th graders. We were low on players and not very good and Trey Robertson played for us in that tourney. First game he hit 6 3’s in the first half against a 4th grade team. Everyone was like...who is that kid?
Good Stuff. and Good luck this year. Hope the kids stay, I personally hope they play all the sports they can. College coaches seem to like that.

You control that.
toast
All State

Post by toast »

Ironman92: That is a neat story...thanks for sharing. I really hope those kids keep playing all the sports as well. Would be neat to see them playing basketball in high school and succeeding. I guess only time will tell.

I'll definitely keep an eye on Jackson 8th grade this year. Should be a bunch of fun. Enjoy the season and Good Luck! Maybe our paths will cross at some point.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

TIGER#27 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:51 am
countywide35 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:36 am JACKSON HANDS DOWN

Drew Bragg
Holden Blankenship
Tristan Prater
Blake Brown
Woodrof
Hughes

Wow, would have loved to seen this game.
Waverly's group I believe have never been beat. So it would be nice to see the starters play a full game, as they are usually up by 30 after 1 and get pulled.
true that

The Flush
Varsity

Post by The Flush »

While it certainly helps to be a really good 8th grade player like all those mentioned, it is no guarantee of high school success, particularly for the big guys. The 6'1" 8th grade center might turn into a 6'1" 12 grade center, forward, guard, or bench warmer. Some of them will grow into real center size 6'5 or bigger, but many will not. Some of them have great ball handling and defensive skills and can transition into other roles easily if they don't have the size to bang with the true big guys. I speculate that it is slightly easier for the stud 8th grade guard to become a stud high school guard than it is for the centers and forwards because size is slightly less important.

It is still fun to watch no matter what.
Last edited by The Flush on Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

The Flush wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:55 am While it certainly helps to be a really good 8th grade player like all those mentioned, it is no guarantee of high school success, particularly for the big guys. The 6'1" 8th grade center might turn into a 6'1" 12 grade center, forward, guard, or bench warmer. Some of them will grow into real center size 6'5 or bigger, but many will not. Some of them have great ball handling and defensive skills and can transition into other roles easily if they don't have the size to band with the true big guys. I speculate that it is slightly easier for the stud 8th grade guard to become a study high school guard than it is for the centers and forwards because size is slightly less important.

It is still fun to watch no matter what.
Jackson 6’0 Drew Bragg is a guard. They have another good scoring guard who is 5’10 now and Dad is 6’6

You are definitely right though...varsity kids are mature, a lot of 8th graders still arent

Rumble78
Waterboy

Post by Rumble78 »

Jackson should be a solid team this year. They have plenty of size, and more than one good guard.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Rumble78 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:02 pm Jackson should be a solid team this year. They have plenty of size, and more than one good guard.
very true......couple kids that can handle the ball very well and can flat run the floor

Rumble78
Waterboy

Post by Rumble78 »

Yes. They have also grown in size. The starting 5 this year for the young ironmen could possibly be very big with one guard that loves to run the floor. I watched this team all of last year, and they progressed as the year went on. They battled 4 or 5 games out during regular season, but fell short in the championship game against Meigs. Meigs was one of the best 7th grade teams I have ever watched. Jackson is very very good too.

Return to “JR High, AAU, Travel, Youth League Sports”