Top 7th Grade Players

Looking for games? Updates on travel, youth, jr high or AAU.. Post here
Westfan
SEOP

Re: Top 7th Grade Players

Post by Westfan »

Voice of Reason wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:30 pm
Ohiosports22 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:07 pm Portsmouth West 60 South Webster 29
Portsmouth West 7th really put it on South Webster Thursday night. The big Collins kid really played hard must have had at least 14-16 points but fouled out midway through 4th quarter. The Lower kid from SW who usually scores big was somewhat held down by an aggressive fast West kid I think his name is Harper. That big kid from West Sanderline really played a fast, power game. Don't know how many scored but a bunch and lights out on defense. This is a kid to watch and it looks like a West valley showdown could be intense.
As Ironman said, Valley handled West by 20+ in the first matchup. The second matchup, or even third in the county tournament, could be closer or go West's way, especially with a kid the caliber of Sanderlin... But, I saw the Valley-West game and while Valley didn't have a single kid that is at Sanderlin's level, they have a starting 5 that are all exceptional players. Valley had the ability to throw 3 kids of equal athleticism at Sanderlin and forced him into a tough night. Valley's execution that night was extremely advanced for a 7th grade team.
West definitely didn't play well and alot of that credit goes to Valley. West is running the high school system with man to man and is still basically meshing 2 teams from last year together. Good young coach who is still learning what the boys can do. Made some good changes for South Webster and the boys played alot better. Hopefully they continue to improve and have a better contest with Valley in a few weeks.

TIGER#27
JV Team

Post by TIGER#27 »

Voice of Reason wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:30 pm
Ohiosports22 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:07 pm Portsmouth West 60 South Webster 29
Portsmouth West 7th really put it on South Webster Thursday night. The big Collins kid really played hard must have had at least 14-16 points but fouled out midway through 4th quarter. The Lower kid from SW who usually scores big was somewhat held down by an aggressive fast West kid I think his name is Harper. That big kid from West Sanderline really played a fast, power game. Don't know how many scored but a bunch and lights out on defense. This is a kid to watch and it looks like a West valley showdown could be intense.
As Ironman said, Valley handled West by 20+ in the first matchup. The second matchup, or even third in the county tournament, could be closer or go West's way, especially with a kid the caliber of Sanderlin... But, I saw the Valley-West game and while Valley didn't have a single kid that is at Sanderlin's level, they have a starting 5 that are all exceptional players. Valley had the ability to throw 3 kids of equal athleticism at Sanderlin and forced him into a tough night. Valley's execution that night was extremely advanced for a 7th grade team.
Yes Valley's execution was very, very good against Waverly also.

Attitude, Effort and Hustle
You control that.
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Washington CH has a good 6’1 player. Huge 7th grade team....they are pretty good. Biggest 7th grade team I’ve seen. I’d guess 5 kids at 5’10+

Ohiosports22
Waterboy

Post by Ohiosports22 »

Wheelersburg comes to West tomorrow should be a fun match up.

TIGER#27
JV Team

Post by TIGER#27 »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:53 pm Washington CH has a good 6’1 player. Huge 7th grade team....they are pretty good. Biggest 7th grade team I’ve seen. I’d guess 5 kids at 5’10+
Yes he's a pretty good player Tanner Lemaster is his name. Uses both hands very well around the basket.
I know a lot of the 7th and 8th graders as I coached them in baseball and against them in basketball. The 7th grade are very big and lack good guard play. The 8th grade have the guards but not much Big's, when these 2 groups of kids meet in high school I can see them being very good.

Attitude, Effort and Hustle
You control that.
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Peebles 7th grade knocked off unbeaten Whiteoak...so Peebles definitely has a good 7th grade squad

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

South Webster has a good 7th grade team. Collins is really good and Lower has improved a good deal. Lower going to be a real nice varsity player...easy to tell

RioProf
Riding the Bench

Post by RioProf »

River Valley - Jacob Winters is averaging 19 pts and 12 Reb a game, Brady Fitch 14 pts and 5 assists. Overall the team is 4-1 with wins over Pt Pleasant, Meigs, Athens and NY with the only loss to Alexander by 6.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

RioProf wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:28 pm River Valley - Jacob Winters is averaging 19 pts and 12 Reb a game, Brady Fitch 14 pts and 5 assists. Overall the team is 4-1 with wins over Pt Pleasant, Meigs, Athens and NY with the only loss to Alexander by 6.
Have heard that Winters is one of the top 7th grade athletes around

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Watched West 7th grade lastnight. In warm ups watched Sanderlin go up and grab the rim fairly easy, I would say with his work ethic he will be dunking pretty soon. Probably this summer.

Jeeps22
Waterboy

Post by Jeeps22 »

BigBlueNation wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:42 pm Watched West 7th grade lastnight. In warm ups watched Sanderlin go up and grab the rim fairly easy, I would say with his work ethic he will be dunking pretty soon. Probably this summer.
Heard he is on his way to burg also.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Buckeye_storm wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:45 am
BigBlueNation wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:42 pm Watched West 7th grade lastnight. In warm ups watched Sanderlin go up and grab the rim fairly easy, I would say with his work ethic he will be dunking pretty soon. Probably this summer.
Heard he is on his way to burg also.
Now that's interesting. Any West or Burg people hear this one?*

Oak
Freshman Team

Post by Oak »

People act like 13 year old kids are NBA free agents.

His father has said to numerous people that he isn't going anywhere. He has other siblings that would have to change too. The class he is in is really good at all 3 sports and he is established there. It would be stupid to change now.

But everyone knows Wheelersburg recruits. They are getting very brazing at it.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Oak wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:01 pm People act like 13 year old kids are NBA free agents.

His father has said to numerous people that he isn't going anywhere. He has other siblings that would have to change too. The class he is in is really good at all 3 sports and he is established there. It would be stupid to change now.

Yep, we are known for our metal joining skills here in The Burg. Lol I think you mean Brazen.

And does the name Oak mean you are from Oak Hill? If so, then your all star team from Jackson county and surrounding counties are having a good year on the court. Watch out for those stones in your glass house. Is that BRAZEN enough for you? 😂😂

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Oak wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:01 pm People act like 13 year old kids are NBA free agents.

I have to agree with this. These are kids. Leave them alone.

According to his father they aren't going anywhere. Combination of Basketball, baseball, football this might be the best class at West since the mid 80s and there are several good classes behind them.

As far as Wheelersburg, with their increasing enrollment and the multiplier they will bump up to D4 or possibly D3 football for the foreseeable future after this year. Based on football this fall and basketball this winter the 7th grade class at Wheelersburg is very weak compared to past Wheelersburg classes.

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

Westfan wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:57 pm

I have to agree with this. These are kids. Leave them alone.

According to his father they aren't going anywhere. Combination of Basketball, baseball, football this might be the best class at West since the mid 80s and there are several good classes behind them.

As far as Wheelersburg, with their increasing enrollment and the multiplier they will bump up to D4 or possibly D3 football for the foreseeable future after this year. Based on football this fall and basketball this winter the 7th grade class at Wheelersburg is very weak compared to past Wheelersburg classes.
the exact same thing was said about this years STATE CHAMPION senior class when west beat them 22-0 in 8th grade....... JH means nothing lol

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Blitz wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:28 am the exact same thing was said about this years STATE CHAMPION senior class when west beat them 22-0 in 8th grade....... JH means nothing lol
Dedication and hard work mean alot. It is why players get better. But talent does factor in there and around 7th/8th you can see players with more ability than others. It's no different than Ohio State trying to recruit 5 star players. Sometimes a 3 star turns into a star, but most times his ceiling is lower. It's no different here.

The Wheelersburg players you mention did work hard. But outside of Carmichael they were mainly role players. How good would they be surrounded by an average junior class?

I'm sure someone will chime in about beards and puberty playing against boys, and that does matter. But tell me you didn't see Tanner Holden play in middle school and see that athletically he was head and shoulders better than everyone.

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

Same can be said about this years football and basketball games. Remove ONE kid from west who is physically dominate and almost fully grown and they cant beat half of the SOC. He is being caught by everyone else. Burg 21-0 at half without him and 35-21 final with him in the second half. There is the proof

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Blitz wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:39 am Same can be said about this years football and basketball games. Remove ONE kid from west who is physically dominate and almost fully grown and they cant beat half of the SOC. He is being caught by everyone else. Burg 21-0 at half without him and 35-21 final with him in the second half. There is the proof
West put 5 - 7th graders in the second half who hadn't played the first.

The first basketball game Wheelersburg scored 4 points through almost 3 quarters.

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

I am sure they did. no reason for me not to believe you. but only ONE player did all they damage and his physical advantage will be gone in 1-2 years. then what????

Return to “JR High, AAU, Travel, Youth League Sports”