Schools with multiple teams

Looking for games? Updates on travel, youth, jr high or AAU.. Post here
FortheWin
Riding the Bench

Schools with multiple teams

Post by FortheWin »

How do you feel about "stacked" teams? Is it beneficial for the kids? How does it help programs?

For example, Marietta has 2 teams each-7th and 8th. One group is very talented, the other has a couple kids with talent and the rest have little to no skills. I am torn because, yes those kids still get to play but to what end? Surely these kids know they are on the "bad" team and it can't be good for their self esteem.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Schools with multiple teams

Post by Ironman92 »

I think 1 team is the way to go but that guarantees those “B” team kids quit. Have a B team for 7th and 8th gives 2 more years for a B team kid to grow/develop and maybe catch some of the A team kids....and some of the A team kids always quit off too by 9th grade.

I think my 7th grade year we had 20 kids on our team.

FortheWin
Riding the Bench

Post by FortheWin »

This team had 15 kids on the B team and I think 11 on the A team.
Ita just hard to watch kids struggling....they barely broke double digits. I am glad they get to play, but would it not benefit more to habe the teams mixed up? How much pressure to win should there be at this level?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

FortheWin wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:06 pm This team had 15 kids on the B team and I think 11 on the A team.
Ita just hard to watch kids struggling....they barely broke double digits. I am glad they get to play, but would it not benefit more to habe the teams mixed up? How much pressure to win should there be at this level?
If it had to be done....I’m making the teams even and making sure both teams have a viable PG

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Northwest has 2 different 7th grade teams. They only have 1 schedule though. 1 team plays one a game and the other team plays the next game. Neither team has won a game this season.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

BigBlueNation wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:44 pm Northwest has 2 different 7th grade teams. They only have 1 schedule though. 1 team plays one a game and the other team plays the next game. Neither team has won a game this season.
Well that’s not good

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Not basketball, but I coached middle school soccer for 4 years. In Year 2, we had 35 kids come out, so instead of cutting 17 kids, I split them into a "Gold" and "Purple" team. I had them practice together for drills and we played the same style, but it quickly became apparent that I had stacked the "Gold" team. I put a kid on the gold team thinking that he was a kid who was athletic but not very skilled due to his tryout performance and he ended up being a stud lol was an All Ohio player by his senior year. The "Purple" team ended up winning their first 10 games, but against a weaker schedule.

For Year 3, I made the "Gold" team the 8th grade team and the "Purple" team was the 7th grade team, which made things 10x easier. Year 4 was a girls and boys split instead of 7th and 8th. I would guess that 70-75% of those kids those 3 split seasons ended up making it to at least their sophomore seasons, so it was completely worth the time and effort.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

But, for basketball, I think if you are going to do split teams that they need to be fairly even and both need to play full schedules.

It would give more kids the chance to develop though, which as Ironman stated, might give a "lower" kid a chance to catch up with some of the standouts from their grade.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Devil's Advocate here for a second: What is wrong when you have 20+ kids try out for Junior High basketball to just cut 8 players? Why create two teams which divide coaching resources, complicate schedules, create the "A" team versus "B" team controversies that inevitably happen?

Yeah I get it that 1 in 10,000 from the "B" team in middle school may ultimately develop into a 1,000 point scorer but we know that usually isn't the case, and even if he is cut that that doesn't preclude him/her from working hard and trying out again next year. In fact working on your own may even give that person more time than he/she would have gotten riding the pine.

Now, I am not saying I agree that position, just playing the contrarian here for a minute.

Is it really that bad to tell a kid you didn't make the team and allow him to go find something else he/she is good at? I remember to this day going down to the coaches office/locker room and seeing whose name was on the sheet taped up to the glass on the door. Guess what, my name wasn't on it, so I went and found another sport. A sport I ultimately got pretty good at.

So by keeping multiple teams are we doing a service or disservice to those kids? I mean not everyone is meant to be good at everything right?

Shane Falco
Freshman Team

Post by Shane Falco »

Abe - I agree with you on your points. We live in a society today that we can't leave someone out because it may hurt their feelings. So when they grow up and get into the real world they expect everything to be handed to them without hard work. I believe we do these kids a disservice when we don't cut them by allowing them to think they are just a good as your players that have worked harder. I understand some kids are more gifted than others but with hard work they can compete. Getting cut should tell the kid he/she either needs to work on his/her game in the off season or find another sport to participate. I have seen too many kids over the years that do nothing in the off season and wonder why they don't get playing time. Then the parents complain to coaches and or administration on why their kid doesn't play. Ultimately by keeping so many of these kids around that are not good prevents the kids who will play in high school from developing into better players because its hard for one or two coaches to give the right amount of attention to everyone.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

There are too many rules in Ohio with basketball. In Kentucky and West Virginia you can play all year if you want. OHSAA limits offseason to 2 kids per team and in season doesn't allow enough games. Sometimes I think teams would develop more if they got a good coach and skipped middle school. That way you can play games to your skill level, have 2 teams if you can, and develop more players without all the rules

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Nothing at all wrong with having two teams at the Jr. High level. But I too would divide the teams evenly so that both can be competitive. (Hopefully :) )

A lot of kids just want the opportunity to be on a team and maybe even get some playing time. This is not a disservice to anyone. It doesn't have to be all about winning and grooming for high school at the Jr. High level. Heck, there's travel ball for those that are more serious and want to continue playing year round.

Put on the uniform and be part of a team. Make friends, get some exercise and embrace the experience! That is the REAL WORLD! And a better world at that.

FortheWin
Riding the Bench

Post by FortheWin »

Seems as though we all agree. How strange!?
Just had to post after watching a team struggling while their counterparts are one of the best teams in the league. Just did not seem right to me.

Return to “JR High, AAU, Travel, Youth League Sports”