Tourney 3-4 5-6 Boys/Girls

Looking for games? Updates on travel, youth, jr high or AAU.. Post here
fan of basketball
Waterboy

Re: Tourney 3-4 5-6 Boys/Girls

Post by fan of basketball »

first off i had no one playing in the tourny was just there watching games and second the aau team did loose a game to aschool team

buckfan84
All Conference

Post by buckfan84 »

fan of basketball wrote:first off i had no one playing in the tourny was just there watching games and second the aau team did loose a game to aschool team

I'll just say this and I'm not trying to be negative because I'm assuming from the way you type you are young. Not a slam just an observation. That AAU team you refer to has been together for EXACTLY 2 weeks. The teams they beat need to face good competition or they will never get better. There was a team from Ironton that had kids from Symmes Valley. That is a fact. The Coal Grove team has a really good player on the team, she was responsible for most of their points but I assure you since they, Sting, were beat by the Hornets the CG blew every one out as well. It took a good team to beat Coal Grove. So I am curious why you aren't commenting on them. Also, the Sting team is full of 5th and 6th graders. No one over 12. One 10 year old and several 11 yo. Not that being 13 is against the rules, I know for a fact there were some players on other teams that are 13 and could actually be in 7th grade. But because of AAU rules they are permitted to be held back. So don't fault AAU when it doesn't benefit you. Because their rules enable "school" teams to play like an AAU team.

I assure you, Sting will play anyone. 2 of the girls were on a 2nd runner up national team and I believe the CG girl was on that team as well. Sting may not win every tourney they enter, but I assure as this team continues to gel. They will be a good team. BTW, the tourney was happy to take Sting. Their coach made sure of it and even asked if they were sure it was okay.

I will say this, there were some passionate fans from CG. I would be most certain that the CG coach didn't say, "well they're an all star team and that's why we lost." I know for a fact he is looking for good teams to play to get better competition than what he usually plays.

Pickbuck86
Waterboy

Post by Pickbuck86 »

Really fan of basketball?????? Who says "I hope you get what's coming to you" to 11 and 12 year old girls? You're an idiot

hearts
Waterboy

Post by hearts »

I thought the tournament was great. I really enjoyed watching all the teams play. How did it end? Didn't get to come on Sunday. Who ranked 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.....

buckfan84
All Conference

Post by buckfan84 »

hearts wrote:I thought the tournament was great. I really enjoyed watching all the teams play. How did it end? Didn't get to come on Sunday. Who ranked 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.....

What grade?

hearts
Waterboy

Post by hearts »

3rd-4th girls, and 5th-6th grade girls if you have that available.

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

I'd be interested to see all of the results.

buckfan84
All Conference

Post by buckfan84 »

5-6 grade was Sting 1st and CG 2nd

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

It was an open tournament not a school tournament. When you enter a team into a tournament you are opening yourself up to playing very good teams. I know the 4th grade team from Eastern was a school team and they went 0-4. They didnt complain bc they knew what they were getting in to. They competed very well and even though they didnt win a game they got a lot out of it by playing 4 quality games. So my point is you go to tournaments to win and if you blow a team out then you try to blow them out, thats what tournaments are for, they arent for bad teams to go to and complain if they get blown out. If you put a team in a tournament you better be ready to play some good basketball or be ready to get blown out. Just the facts

SUVC
Waterboy

Post by SUVC »

Boys 3-4 1st Vinton County Lightning
2nd Jackson

Girls 3-4 1st Wheelersburg
2nd Oak Hill

Girls 5-6 1st Ohio Valley Sting
2nd Coal Grove

A big thank you goes out to all
Players and parents who attended
And to all those who helped.
The tournament was a huge success
And we hope to do it again next year.

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

How about results boy's 5/6?

6-4-3=2
Waterboy

Post by 6-4-3=2 »

Just to clarify, the 3rd/4th boys winner was Athens County Lightning, not Vinton.

Pickbuck86
Waterboy

Post by Pickbuck86 »

I agree with you Super Trooper. You take your teams to tournaments to get better. Three of the girls on OV Sting are on my school team and over the past few years we have gone to several tournaments and played up to get better competition. When we won it was great, but when we lost, it was ok too. My whole team got more court time, and they got better.

And to you, fan of basketball, from reading your previous posts it is obvious that you are from Coal Grove. You of all people shouldn't be whining. I personally talked to YOUR coach, and he has been looking for better competition. I know for a fact that you have played aau teams in the past. How competitive would the tournament been for your girls had our team not entered? Maybe it's the case that you really don't WANT to play anybody? Also, we have a great coach who is energetic about getting our team ready for the upcoming aau season. We will play in many tournaments, thus, we will play a lot of aau teams. We are gonna win some, we're gonna lose some. But in the end, our girls will have fun, and they are going to get better.

hall_21
Waterboy

Post by hall_21 »

Pickbuck i assure you that is not a parent of mine, We will play any team and i think you know that. As a matter of fact we have played 8 games against AAU teams loosing only 3 of those games. My players and also the parents put a lot of time into the game and it shows.

Pickbuck86
Waterboy

Post by Pickbuck86 »

The only reason I assumed it was a parent or relative of a Coal Grove player is because FOB has posted about your team or players before. I know you have a good team and the hard work does show. And, after having many conversations with you, I know you want to play good teams. The comments made by FOB were absurd, so i decided to look at previous posts to see where this poster is from. My bad

buckfan84
All Conference

Post by buckfan84 »

hall_21 wrote:Pickbuck i assure you that is not a parent of mine, We will play any team and i think you know that. As a matter of fact we have played 8 games against AAU teams loosing only 3 of those games. My players and also the parents put a lot of time into the game and it shows.

I don't think ANYONE said CG was afraid to play better teams, quite the opposite. I do, however, see where Sting was accused of that. And just for the record, EVERY post FOB has made has been about CG. So, if it isn't a CG parent it is someone affiliated with the program. And I think you have confirmed what everyone has been saying that it is okay to play AAU teams and I would guess you want to to make your team better. Any good coach knows that and your team seems very well coached. Good luck to CG in your future tourneys.

goinbroke
Riding the Bench

Post by goinbroke »

Coal Grove has an excellent team. You have a lot to be proud for you are really talented. You will have a lot to look forward to for the next six years and beyond for a couple of the players.

I know there were discussions about travel teams playing at Rio Grande, but it was advertised as an open tourny.

Today's real problem is the parents, not the kids, not the coaches, not the organizations. We have a faction of those who will not allow their kids to experience failure or pain. When they do, they coddle them and assure them it wasn't the kid's fault. Instead they portray the kids as mere victims of the circumstance they were placed in. There is no value placed on hard work, good attitudes, strenuous conditioning, loyalty, effort, or discipline. More value is placed on “just have a good time”, “everyone should play equally” regardless of talent or effort.

This is the very reason girls basketball is in decline nationally. In order to be very successful in basketball, a player must put team above self and place emphasis on the above mentioned characteristics. If you as an individual can’t compete, then YOU are the one that has the ability to change that. You must put in the work and training necessary to improve. You can’t show up to the gym in November and expect to be a basketball player…you’re really only a basketball participant. Don’t expect the system to change to a lesser standard because your standards are low. If your team can’t compete; then the players, the parents, the coaches, and the administrators have the power and the responsibility to make the changes. Don’t make excuses, but instead take a deep, honest, hard look at where you are at individually and as a team and strive to either get better or realize that you must settle on being an underachiever. However don’t blame others for your slothfulness.

In the big picture, basketball (or any extra-curricular activity) isn’t that important in the scope of things. However these activities are excellent training grounds to mold your children into successful adults later. If you can learn to deal with adversity or humbly handle success at a young age, your chances of success as an adult obviously increase. As an adult, those young men and women that still run to momma for consolation in today’s world, are really the true failures. Whose to blame?.....THE PARENTS.

goinbroke
Riding the Bench

Post by goinbroke »

Coal Grove has an excellent team. You have a lot to be proud for you are really talented. You will have a lot to look forward to for the next six years and beyond for a couple of the players.

I know there were discussions about travel teams playing at Rio Grande, but it was advertised as an open tourny.

Today's real problem is the parents, not the kids, not the coaches, not the organizations. We have a faction of those who will not allow their kids to experience failure or pain. When they do, they coddle them and assure them it wasn't the kid's fault. Instead they portray the kids as mere victims of the circumstance they were placed in. There is no value placed on hard work, good attitudes, strenuous conditioning, loyalty, effort, or discipline. More value is placed on “just have a good time”, “everyone should play equally” regardless of talent or effort.

This is the very reason girls basketball is in decline nationally. In order to be very successful in basketball, a player must put team above self and place emphasis on the above mentioned characteristics. If you as an individual can’t compete, then YOU are the one that has the ability to change that. You must put in the work and training necessary to improve. You can’t show up to the gym in November and expect to be a basketball player…you’re really only a basketball participant. Don’t expect the system to change to a lesser standard because your standards are low. If your team can’t compete; then the players, the parents, the coaches, and the administrators have the power and the responsibility to make the changes. Don’t make excuses, but instead take a deep, honest, hard look at where you are at individually and as a team and strive to either get better or realize that you must settle on being an underachiever. However don’t blame others for your slothfulness.

In the big picture, basketball (or any extra-curricular activity) isn’t that important in the scope of things. However these activities are excellent training grounds to mold your children into successful adults later. If you can learn to deal with adversity or humbly handle success at a young age, your chances of success as an adult obviously increase. As an adult, those young men and women that still run to momma for consolation in today’s world, are really the true failures. Whose to blame?.....THE PARENTS.

Return to “JR High, AAU, Travel, Youth League Sports”