Riding the Bench

Little League All Star Baseball District Sites/Dates

Post by tomcat »

Any info out there?

MClaw
Freshman Team

Re: Little League All Star Baseball District Sites/Dates

Post by MClaw »

11/12 boys is at Portsmouth starting on June 23rd.
7/8 boys is at Valley starting on June 18th.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

I am pretty sure on the sites but I am just trying to get close on the dates

Boys
7-8 Lucasville 6/16
9-10 Fairland 7/7
10-11 Newville 7/7
11-12 Portsmouth 6/23
13-14 Wheelersburg 6/30
15-16 South Webster 7/7

Girls
7-8 Symmes Valley 6/16
9-10 Coal Grove 7/7
10-11 Newville 7/7
11-12 South Point 6/23
13-14 South Webster 7/7
15-16 South Webster 7/7

I could be wrong on the JL or SL girls but I am going from memory.

E801409
Waterboy

Post by E801409 »

Waverly 10u is July 20-22

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

That is a lot of games to try to get covered with enough umpires, volunteers to work the fields and concession stands. Best of luck to District 11 teams as you prepare for district games and then a few lucky ones move on to state.

The Ripper
Riding the Bench

Post by The Ripper »

MClaw wrote:11/12 boys is at Portsmouth starting on June 23rd.
Rumor has it that these games have been changed?!? :mad:

Can anyone confirm - and if so, give the reason you change a tournament so close to the playing date?

codeman00
Freshman Team

Post by codeman00 »

That is correct. 11/12 boys in portsmouth start date has changed from June 23rd to July 5th.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

The Ripper wrote:
MClaw wrote:11/12 boys is at Portsmouth starting on June 23rd.
Rumor has it that these games have been changed?!? :mad:

Can anyone confirm - and if so, give the reason you change a tournament so close to the playing date?
It is my understanding that the start date for this tournament was moved back because the games are played at a location that can service 5 games per night. This allows the tournament to be played in a shorter amount of time so the district did not want the tournament to end much more than 1 week before the opening of the state tournament. I have heard that moving the tournament start date back is unpopular in some people's eyes but that was the explanation I received as to why the start date was moved.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Tobias wrote:
BlindWhiteHat wrote:It is my understanding that the start date for this tournament was moved back because the games are played at a location that can service 5 games per night. This allows the tournament to be played in a shorter amount of time so the district did not want the tournament to end much more than 1 week before the opening of the state tournament. I have heard that moving the tournament start date back is unpopular in some people's eyes but that was the explanation I received as to why the start date was moved.
If this is true, then this is a problem that should have been handled long before now. This is an error on the part of Donnie Rawlins as District Administrator. How about all of the families who had planned vacations during this time after the All-Star dates who will now have to miss All-Stars due to Donnie Rawlins' inability to make a correct decision for our children?

Is it true that Donnie Rawlins makes $75,000 per year as Little League District 11 Administrator?

If so, WOW!
Donnie has never done anything directly to me, but I dont care too much for the guy. Every year it is the same old speech to open up the season as he threatens volunteers with "do this and you will be banned"....."do this and you will be suspended".....

I find it weird that Wheelersburg 11/12 year old girls were not scheduled ANY Saturday games vs the other schools because they play travel ball. Meanwhile, there are plenty of coaches who requested the SAME THING about Saturday games that got reprimanded for rescheduling one or two games (both agreed upon between both coaches) so their teams woudlnt miss travel ball tournaments.

Come on Donnie, just be fair in how you deal with people and treat everyone the same. Drop the morbid pre season speeches and just deal with the people who break the rules!

And if he makes $75K for his job, I am astonished! Not saying that it may not be true, but that would be S-A-D! If true, that money would come straight out of district 11, right? That is alot of money to take away from the program to show up at meetings, give morbid speeches and track down coaches for wanting to play their kids in travel ball.

MClaw
Freshman Team

Post by MClaw »

I've heard the same threats. As for the tournament being pushed back I heard (from the rumor mill) the reason was Wheelersburg was going to be in another tournament at the time so the dates were pushed back to accomodate them. If that is true what does that say about the relationship Donnie has with the 'burg?

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

I would be shocked if the DA earns any salary, let alone $75,000 per year. If so, I would think lots of people would want that position. The only income the District has comes from assessment fees from each league. That fee is $1 per player. I would say the average league has about 250 players in it and there are approximately 17 teams in the district. That math doesn't add up to $75K. The District buys pins for all players finishing first or second in the district tournaments as well as banners for teams finishing first and second. The district also buys pins and banners whenever state tournaments are held within the district. After all that is done, there is little to no money left so I would doubt that a DA in LL receives a salary.

As far as the changing district tourney dates, I have no answer for that. I know that organizing these tournaments can be difficult because the number of teams that participate in these things will change from day to day. I am sure people will be critical of the way things are done but that is the case with most anything. I have also heard the rumor that games were changed because of one league having several players out of town but people will believe whatever rumors they choose.

Karma2
Riding the Bench

Post by Karma2 »

Now the latest threat....beginning next year, every little league "volunteer" coach must sign a contract stating they will not coach a travel ball team. If this is allowed to happen, it could be the final nail in the little league coffin.

Moses Guthrie
Varsity

Post by Moses Guthrie »

karma2 wrote:Now the latest threat....beginning next year, every little league "volunteer" coach must sign a contract stating they will not coach a travel ball team. If this is allowed to happen, it could be the final nail in the little league coffin.
One particular league is already beginning to weigh its options for next year. This would be a positive move to provide a baseball league to area youth without the services of Little League.

Karma2
Riding the Bench

Post by Karma2 »

Well, make that a second group already in discussions of breaking away.....somewhere along the way it has become almost impossible to coach/teach kids fundemental ball and play as many games as possible....maybe I am wrong, but the more you have kids out of the house and on the field is a good thing......right?

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

karma2 wrote:Now the latest threat....beginning next year, every little league "volunteer" coach must sign a contract stating they will not coach a travel ball team. If this is allowed to happen, it could be the final nail in the little league coffin.

Screw that.

Before you know it, all of the better players at all ages will not be playing LL. 12-14 games a season in LL vs 6-7 games a WEEKEND in travel ball. Do the math.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

MClaw wrote:I've heard the same threats. As for the tournament being pushed back I heard (from the rumor mill) the reason was Wheelersburg was going to be in another tournament at the time so the dates were pushed back to accomodate them. If that is true what does that say about the relationship Donnie has with the 'burg?
Exactly. Why was Burg's 11/12 year old softball teams allowed to play ALL of their games during the week and have NO weekend games? I have always been taught that what is good for the goose is good for the gander.

And if I had a group of "volunteers" show up at my house to help me on a big project, I wouldnt start out by telling all of them "if you do this or that, I will make sure that you NEVER come out here again and donate your time".

If he cant make a kid related activity such as LL and adults donating their time as positive as possible, he needs replaced.

tomcat
Riding the Bench

Post by tomcat »

Is Oak Hill now in District 11? I saw where they were in the 7-8 District Tourney. I didn't think they had little league. Are they a new charter this year?

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

baller wrote:Is Oak Hill now in District 11? I saw where they were in the 7-8 District Tourney. I didn't think they had little league. Are they a new charter this year?

The way the schedule looks, they are a branch of the South Webster charter. All of their teams are listed as "South Webster". Jackson is also playing through the South Webster league.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

I believe that is correct about Oak Hill and Jackson. I was told that they may come into District 11 completely next season. I assume that means boys and girls teams.

slider00
Waterboy

Post by slider00 »

So district is saying that portsmouth didn't know they could handle 5 games a night 3 weeks ago? Did they build some new fields or something? Portsmouth was always the site for the 11/12s this year, and they had the same number of fields when the start date of June 23rd was selected, didn't they. We are losing a starter on our team because they waited till after the tournament date was announced to plan their vacation, and guess what,now it happens to fall on the new tournament date, and they're not changing it.

As far as other options for leagues, i KNOW of several leagues exploring these options, currently 4 or 5 that I know of, District 11 will be losing leagues if things don't change, the problem is Donnie Rawlins don't care, he would be happy if it only had 2 or 3 leagues anyway, as long as wheelersburg is in.

Return to “JR High, AAU, Travel, Youth League Sports”