Dateline NBC - Sun. 7/25 @7pm to feature Athens, Hocking Co.

General Chat
vids4ckcrash
Varsity

Re: Dateline NBC - Sun. 7/25 @7pm to feature Athens, Hocking Co.

Post by vids4ckcrash »

kantuckyII wrote:I just don't think he is a suitable topic for young people. He's a child slayer..a Jew hater, a liar...enemy of man and God alike. Destruction is in his path...he is an anti-christ, perhaps demonically possessed or at least, guided by the prince of darkness...

.....then again, I really don't want to discuss him.. :122246

:122245

KYII, you must use the wrong mods for reference. Here it is AGAIN! And you have done this as long as I have read this forum.

Tell the truth and "SHAME THE DEVIL".

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I NEVER said he was..I said, he is 'an' (or a) anti-christ which is far different than THE anti-christ. You err to not know the truth. One who opposes God is 'an' anti-christ

WhiteWhiskers
JV Team

Post by WhiteWhiskers »

JChipwood wrote:The one little boy was drinking a Pepsi so I guess he wasn't poor either or didn't deserve help. Geesh, people can be in need and still have something, sure people shouldn't smoke and people in need could save money drinking Kool Aide but who is to say the producers didn't buy her cigs or buy the little boy the pop. The blame game continues and so will the problems until we drop the blame and do something to try to help.

It may take all of us bugging our worthless politicians, several are from our area yet do little to nothing to try to bring in jobs that are worth anyhting and most don't even try to keep the jobs here that we have. Company owners and politicians are equally selfish!

Ifs & ands /nors & buts --you can postulate anything to justify an existance but the bottom line is: If you are an adult and you use tobacco and drink alcohol you shouldn't qualify for any type of public (Tax supported) assistance I don't use and I dont like my tax money going to those who do

Slim Jim
Varsity

Post by Slim Jim »

If things are so bad in se ohio,where are people getting the money to build all these fine homes? I have one going up near me that might have two area codes.And this is in the country not in a city or big town.And things just aren't just bad here they are bad in all rural areas...lack of jobs and etc.It just hits home because we live here...
Last edited by Slim Jim on Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

A friend of mine from the West coast made a comment about the houses in Southern Ohio/ Appalachia. He noted that he had never seen a place were someone would build a $200,000 house in a neighborhood of dumpy houses. I told him people just want to live next to "mom and them" and build in their old neighborhood to show off their success.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

There are differences between "fine homes" in southeastern Ohio and similar homes in many other places in America. Namely, property values. A nice home in the $150,000-$200,000 range in southeastern Ohio would be worth $400,000 +++ in many other areas of the country.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

OK, here's something earthshattering.........I'm actually going to make a comment about the subject matter in the subject line of this thread..... Jesus CHRIST, imagine that!!!! And yea, I took the Lord's name in vain. So, for all you zealots, go ahead and banish me to Hell...... Frankly, I find all of this dickering absolutely ridiculous!

Now, off the soapbox. What about the content of the show? Looks like alot of Athens County impoverished, poor, and deprived lost alot of public sentimental value points with the "BLING" worn by people interviewed on the show, as well as the cigarette smoking.

So, you have no visible means of support, are relying on Uncle Sam to provide for you, yet you have the means to buy jewelry and tobacco? WTF? No wonder the nation has responded the way that it has towards this "news" feature.

Good grief. I've been around this my entire life, and to see it publicized across the nation, and result in outcry, what can be said?

Hard to feel empathy towards these folks who expect lifetime public support and an open hand......... And make no effort to improve their situation!

toast
All State

Post by toast »

It gets a little tiring listening to people suggest everyone living in poverty is lazy, lacks ambition or a solid education. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

7% of those living in poverty in our country have a four year college degree. Many others have a two year degree or numerous college hours. Others work one or more jobs. Many people are making a maximum effort.

Unfortunately some people and news organizations only seem to focus on the ones gaming the system. I guess advancing their agenda is more important than having an honest discussing on an issue and doing what's best for people.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

finally someone who gets that everyone can be poor due to circumstances beyond their control like job losses etc!!! ^^^^^^^^ I was not happy to see the young lady with the cig in her hand either....as the old saying goes don't judge me until you've walked a mile in my shoes...

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

I didn't watch the show, but you can't miss what has happened to SEO in every trip home. I was fortunate to be raised in Logan in good times, off to college and basically on my way. Return now over the years for weddings , funerals, etc and to visit family still there. Lots of friends I e-mail with and see when back in town.

I've been lucky to have good jobs , learned investing and did very well for myself. But coming back & seeing friends, it often strikes me that most, not all, have had difficult times thru no fault of their own. I don't smoke, but how much of an improvement would the savings of that habit be to improve the lot of that person ? Really ? What I see is a total lack of compassion for someone that could be YOU, but because it isn't, your excuses start to line up to explain away the poverty and if your are of a certain political thought, you view the elderly, the handicapped, kids or the poor in general as parasites of society.Because its not you, you sanctimoniously hold yourself up as a pillar when in reality you and your ideas are old, outdated and as usual, too late in addressing the problems. Best you find yourself a place in the corner ,out of the way, while people of good will and an eye for a society that truly speaks to the greatest country in the world does what is necessary to help the unfortunates among us. There , in other circumstances, it could be me. Or you. And we aren't talking one or two, we are talking millions & millions in our own country. So, berate a "smoker" of you will. I don't approve of smoking either , but thats not the source of the poverty the people find themselves in.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

orange-n-brown 365
Paladin
:aaaaa56 :aaaaa56 :aaaaa56 :aaaaa56 :aaaaa56 :aaaaa56 :aaaaa56 :aaaaa56 :aaaaa56 :aaaaa56 :aaaaa56 :aaaaa56 :aaaaa56 :aaaaa56 :aaaaa56 :aaaaa56

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

I'll build off of Paladins last post....

Part of the problem that things in southeastern Ohio continue to get worse is that many of us who would make the area a better place to live have to leave the area for work. Heck, I had to leave the entire state to be where I am today. And there are many like me. Many of us who do graduate with college degrees are forced to leave because of the lack of jobs. Many of us without degrees but with good strong work ethics are forced to leave because of a lack of jobs.

What is left among the natives who stay? A small pocket of people with good jobs who try to make the area a better place to live........and a mass of people in poverty who live off public support. By no means are all the people on public support "bad people", but when you look at the demographics of those who volunteer for community organizations, tudor kids, generally make towns a better place to live, etc.....many of those citizens are forced out of southeastern Ohio just to have a decent living for themselves. Very few people on public assistance volunteer for organizations that try to make southeastern Ohio towns better places to live. Many of the best and brightest of southeastern Ohio leave and take their talents and volunteering with them to their new towns and new states where they raise their own families.

Other consequences of this......more homes in SEOH become run down and/or are turned into HUD properties. Many of those out of work turn to drugs, as is evident by the awful drug problem in southeastern Ohio. How many heroin addicts are now in southeastern Ohio? It's unreal! And I know there are drug problems elsewhere in the country too, but it sure seems like southeastern Ohio has as big --or even bigger -- of a drug problem than many other regions of the country.

Return to “The Off season”