70% of Americans oppose overturning Roe v Wade

General Chat
dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Re: 70% of Americans oppose overturning Roe v Wade

Post by dazed&confused »

Space Cowboy wrote:At what point do rights to go out and play also translate to the right to keep getting abortions?
Especially if they are on the taxpayers dime.
This is not meant as sarcasm. Its a legit ethical question that deserves debate.

Question: Does the government fund abortions? Does the government pay for abortion?

One controversial issue surrounded by rumor and misinformation is that of government funding of abortion. In the U.S., do taxpayer dollars pay for abortion? A brief look at the history of federal funding of abortion and why, for the past three decades, abortion has not been funded by the government.

Answer: Abortion was made legal in the United States by the Supreme Court decision Roe v. Wade in 1973, and during the first three years of legalized abortion, Medicaid (the government program that provides health care to low-income pregnant women, children, the elderly and the disabled) covered the cost of terminating a pregnancy.

However, in 1977 Congress passed the Hyde Amendment which put limitations on Medicaid coverage of abortion, allowing it only in the cases of rape, incest, or if the mother's life was physically endangered. Over the years, those two exceptions were eliminated. In 1979, abortions performed if a mother's life was endangered were no longer allowed, and in 1981 abortions performed due to rape and/or incest were denied.

As the Hyde Amendment must be passed by Congress annually, the pendulum of opinion over abortion coverage has swung back and forth very slightly over the years. In 1993 Congress permitted abortion coverage for victims of rape and incest, and the current version of the Hyde Amendment also permits abortion for women whose lives are endangered by their pregnancies.

The ban on federal funding for abortion affects more than low income women. Abortion is not covered for women in the military, the Peace Corps, federal prisons, and those who receive care from Indian Health Services.

http://womensissues.about.com/od/aborti ... rtions.htm

I have no problem with these restrictions. It is not like the government is picking up the tab for abortion at will.

Kentucky Trojan
SE

Post by Kentucky Trojan »

Kentucky Trojan
SE

Kentucky Trojan
SE

234 abortions per 1,000 live births (according to the Centers for Disease Control)
Abortions per year: 1.2 million
Abortions per day: 3,288
Abortions per hour: 137
9 abortions every 4 minutes
1 abortion every 26 seconds

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

:lol: :lol: ......ky, a funny guy........ :12224

Kentucky Trojan
SE

abuck76 wrote::lol: :lol: ......ky, a funny guy........ :12224
There are lies, darn lies, and then there are statistics...

:mrgreen:

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

And you are pretty good at those..........................Of course I mean statistics....... :roll: :roll: :roll: ................. :12224

Kentucky Trojan
SE

abuck76 wrote:And you are pretty good at those..........................Of course I mean statistics....... :roll: :roll: :roll: ................. :12224
You'd better be...if you teach math...

I mean lies...not math.....

:lol:

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

"When one man dies it is a tragedy, when thousands die it's statistics"- Stalin

Kentucky Trojan
SE

dazed&confused wrote:"When one man dies it is a tragedy, when thousands die it's statistics"- Stalin
54 million tragedies is one big statistic.....

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

Kentucky Trojan wrote:
dazed&confused wrote:"When one man dies it is a tragedy, when thousands die it's statistics"- Stalin
54 million tragedies is one big statistic.....

Kentucky Trojan
SE

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

abuck76 wrote:But that is the very key you are looking for..It IS her body......Can we tell someone , they must do something that will drastically change, maybe kill, their body without their consent?.....I think not...... :12224
OK, Fair enough, but lets look at a hypothetical situation: Lets say a pregnant woman is heading down the road on her way to an abortion clinic. It is no secret to her family or friends. I accidentally run a red light and kill her. My fault, no argument there. I will be charged with involuntary vehicular manslaughter, as I should.
But when the autopsy reveals that she was pregnant, I will be charged with a second count.......EVEN IF THE LAW FINDS OUT SHE WAS GOING TO GET AN ABORTION.....
or......she is injured, but the fetus, inside her dies....I will still be charged with involuntary manslaughter.....the law cannot have it both ways.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

Space Cowboy wrote:
abuck76 wrote:But that is the very key you are looking for..It IS her body......Can we tell someone , they must do something that will drastically change, maybe kill, their body without their consent?.....I think not...... :12224
OK, Fair enough, but lets look at a hypothetical situation: Lets say a pregnant woman is heading down the road on her way to an abortion clinic. It is no secret to her family or friends. I accidentally run a red light and kill her. My fault, no argument there. I will be charged with involuntary vehicular manslaughter, as I should.
But when the autopsy reveals that she was pregnant, I will be charged with a second count.......EVEN IF THE LAW FINDS OUT SHE WAS GOING TO GET AN ABORTION.....
or......she is injured, but the fetus, inside her dies....I will still be charged with involuntary manslaughter.....the law cannot have it both ways.
Jeez Grasshopper! What is the sound of one hand clapping?

Kentucky Trojan
SE

dazed&confused wrote:Jeez Grasshopper! What is the sound of one hand clapping?
The sound that the trumpets will make when the Revolution begins...

Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

My questions on abortion:
Is what we have now what Margret Sanger envisioned?
And are we on target to reach her goals?
Do people truly understand the polices they support and 
the reasoning behind such policies?

http://www.blackgenocide.org/sanger.html

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

dazed&confused wrote:
Space Cowboy wrote:
Jeez Grasshopper! What is the sound of one hand clapping?
Be sarcastic all you want. Making jest of me still does not answer the point that the law cannot look at an unborn child both ways....they can only have it one way......so they (we)need to make that determination. Apparently, by Roe vs. Wade, the Federal gov. doesnt recognize the right of an unborn child.....yet state governments still do while also upholding the federal decision. A pregnant woman and HER UNBORN CHILD are highly protected by state laws.....They cannot have it both ways. They cannot push the morality of the argument of caring for the unborn, yet deny that same caring....which is what they are doing, plain and simple.
So, to answer your question, thats probably the sound of a slap as you realize that intelligence is no substitute for logic and common sense.

Kentucky Trojan
SE

dazed&confused is just a trinket salesman.....

...planes, trains, and automobiles...

...he takes the trash out for abuck as well.....

Kentucky Trojan
SE

Abortion is murder.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Let us put it up for a vote and the less than 30% can cry some more

Return to “The Off season”