Bad teacher will now have trouble switching schools

General Chat
LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Under the teacher-discipline bill, the license of a teacher convicted of murder, rape, sexual contact with a minor or a host of other serious crimes would be revoked immediately. The bill also would require a school district to immediately remove a teacher from the classroom if he or she is charged with one of more than 80 criminal offenses -- the same crimes that prevent a person from obtaining a teacher's license in Ohio.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/lo ... t=&sid=101

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Re: Bad teacher will now have trouble switching schools

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

That's good!

Antony
Riding the Bench

Post by Antony »

makes sense. Sucks for them (teachers who raped or murderd someone) wasted all their parents money on a degree that they can't use. It's as if their teaching degree were a theater degree.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

they will have "TROUBLE" finding a job?

Impossible,,,would be more like it!

Antony
Riding the Bench

Post by Antony »

biggdowgg wrote:they will have "TROUBLE" finding a job?

Impossible,,,would be more like it!

darn right! Now they'll have to deal drugs to survive, shows them right.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

my point is,,,they should NEVER be permitted to teach again

someoverkill
JV Team

Post by someoverkill »

now if we could get rid of the teachers who are just in it for the summers off. The sub par teachers need to be weeded out, but the union is very strong.

Antony
Riding the Bench

Post by Antony »

someoverkill wrote:now if we could get rid of the teachers who are just in it for the summers off. The sub par teachers need to be weeded out, but the union is very strong.

every teacher becomes a teacher for the summers off :roll: :mrgreen:

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

ncf - That "definition" is of a bad PERSON - never mind their "profession"! All it says is that "unless you're a convicted criminal", you can still be a teacher. That's setting the bar pretty low, isn't it?
I am certain that there are many "bad" teachers who are perfectly law-abiding citizens. You don't have to be as bad as a pedophile, rapist, or murderer, just to be "bad" at your job, whatever it is.
Last edited by caglewis on Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

whodeyAtown21
SEOPS

Post by whodeyAtown21 »

FIDO (Forget It Drive On) wrote:Well, that's a broad stroke and I doubt very seriously is very accurate.

FIDO, he knows it's not accurate.

But such misconceptions about teachers are alive in well in America's education.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I don't understand this. While it's unethical, it's certainly not the same thing as a perv molested 7 year olds

Cates noted that just this week, a 26-year-old teacher in the Mason school district had inappropriate contact with an 18-year-old girl. She reported it, and the teacher resigned.

"Under current law, this teacher could go anywhere else in the state, or to any other state, and not have to tell anybody why he left his job," Cates said.

The girl was an adult. Again, unethical but not worthy of banning this person for life from working their profession.

as far as some of the other things mentioned here..call me old fashion but I kinda feel that if someone has murdered someone, getting rehired shouldn't be on the top of their list of things to worry about ;-)

whodeyAtown21
SEOPS

Post by whodeyAtown21 »

kantuckyII wrote:as far as some of the other things mentioned here..call me old fashion but I kinda feel that if someone has murdered someone, getting rehired shouldn't be on the top of their list of things to worry about ;-)

Better safe than sorry with that one. Never know extraneous circumstances that could occur and this person get a job because murder wasn't in there.

is it homicide in general that is on the list (no time to check it right now)? Because if so...involuntary manslaughter wouldn't keep you in for life...and you could have the possibility of getting a job.

The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

someoverkill wrote:now if we could get rid of the teachers who are just in it for the summers off. The sub par teachers need to be weeded out, but the union is very strong.

I know many teachers who work during the summer.

They get a summer job or teach summer school.

whodeyAtown21
SEOPS

Post by whodeyAtown21 »

Instructor...Have you obtained national certification yet?

You should...you sound like a good teacher.

Not necessarily by that post up ahead, but haha, I'm just saying..

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

whodeyAtown21 wrote:Instructor...Have you obtained national certification yet?

You should...you sound like a good teacher.

Not necessarily by that post up ahead, but haha, I'm just saying..

National Board Certification is obtained through a very rigorous process and the perks obtained (other than saying you are a Nationally Board Certified Teacher or to include it on a resume) are not that great. A fee of $2500.00 is required to even begin the process, of which the state dept. offers a stipend to cover $2200.00 of that fee to the first 400 teachers to apply per year. More teachers would perhaps consider the process if their districts would begin to give additional compensation to those that have achieved the standards as they do upon the completion of a Master's Degree, but as of yet I know of none, at least in our area, that do. There are many other honors and awards bestowed upon educators that are just as prestigious in a teacher's eyes, such as being named a Martha Holden Jennings scholar.

whodeyAtown21
SEOPS

Post by whodeyAtown21 »

Oh...

well, see, I'm still in college...and they make it seem like it's the best thing that could happen. They also make it seem like only the best get it.

My bad? Blame OU. :lol:

Are you a teacher as well ballparent?

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

Yes sir, and a fellow OU alumni. Being Nationally Board Certified is an honor and something that takes a considerable amount of effort, but it's effort that you choose to take in addition to all your regular duties and requirements that go along with the job, all the time knowing that other than your own personal pat on the back, that's about all you'll get. It's something to look at as a personal goal.

whodeyAtown21
SEOPS

Post by whodeyAtown21 »

Oh...it really sounds like a lot of trouble for not much reward...

Do you teach in SEO?

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

I take that back about incentives, at least in Ohio. Ohio offers a $2500.00 stipend per year for a period of ten years following certification. A few individual district also offer stipends. Here's a link to read more:

http://www.ode.state.oh.us/GD/Templates/Pages/ODE/ODEDetail.aspx?page=3&TopicRelationID=1223&ContentID=4096&Content=46463

Return to “The Off season”