Canceled TV shows....

General Chat
robycop3
All State

Post by robycop3 »

"HEIST" bit the dirt a few days ago.

Now that the May sweeps are starting, look for wholesale changes. Unfortunately, that means the introduction of more summertime trash. Thankfully, there's much more to entertainment life than TV, as "prime time" really goes to pot in the summer.

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

star trek

whats on is just re runs

robycop3
All State

Post by robycop3 »

One thing about Star Trek...the shows are pretty timeless, as are cowboy shows. I still watch some reruns of ST and like them. The writers/producers seldom make material that good nowadays.

robycop3
All State

Post by robycop3 »

Looks as if "Conviction" is headed toward the gate. It's not a bad show, but the general public will watch only so many Dick Wolf productions. Eventually, we may end up with only Law & Order" and "L&O: SVU".

It's not that "Conviction" is a bad show: its timing was wrong. With the glut of cop/court & forensics shows, a shakeout was bound to occur.

Unfortunately, it doesn't cost a network any serious bucks to make a trashy reality show, foist it off on the public, and dump it if it flops, as most do nowadays. They don't have a lotta money invested in unaired episodes.It DOES cost serious bucks to make each episode of a scripted show, and the net is stuck with unaired episodes if the show flops & the sponsors pull their support. The net has already paid to have those episodes made, and since the show has already flopped, no one wants to buy nor sponsor them.

Often, the nets decide to burn off unaired eps of a bummed-out show as "fillers" on summer Saturday nights, thus adding to TV's rep for garbage all summer, especially on weekend nights. I believe WB & UPN are doing their burnoffs of their clinkers right now, and that's why such trash as "Survival Of The Richest" & "Modern Men" are still on.

I think "The War At Home" has concluded on Fox, & its return is very doubtful.

robycop3
All State

Post by robycop3 »

Oh, MY!

Looks as if ABC has pulled "Commander-In-Chief" from the schedule, just as Geena Davis received an award from the "White House Project", an org promoting womens' participation in govt.

There are three unaired episodes, which ABC says will prolly be broadcast in June.

This is VERY ominous, as just about every show pulled for a "sweeps" period is burned off & dropped, and the score is 100% for those who've already had their episode orders cut.

I believe the production delays early in its life, combined with the drop in quality of its scripts(not the acting) spelled doom.

Well, it was great while it lasted!

robycop3
All State

Post by robycop3 »

The Lifetime net has ended "Missing", an FBI drama about people who've gone AWOL. Not the worst show they ever had, it lasted 3 seasons.

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

Giligans Island- an old one

fourseam00
Freshman Team

Post by fourseam00 »

i like gilligans island

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

It was a great show but I guess they think it a little old. I can remember when it was on almost every night.

masterchief_2
Varsity

Post by masterchief_2 »

I hated the Brady Bunch lol :lol:

robycop3
All State

Post by robycop3 »

"Gilligan" was canceled while it still had respectable ratings. In Sept. 1967, CBS was faced with having to make room for some new shows. At first, it considered canceling 12-year vet "Gunsmoke", whose ratings had slipped slightly. However, a hue & cry from the public caused them to reconsider & cancel "Gilligan", whose ratings were respectable, but had slipped more during the year than "Gunsmoke's" had.

I thought for awhile that "Gilligan" would be back when some new show flopped, such as "Lancer" and "The Good Guys" since the last episode left them still stranded on the island, but.....

"Gunsmoke" lasted 8 more years, & I doubt if "Gilligan" woulda made it that long. Its ratings were beginning to fade, and another season woulda most likely been the last. But absence makes the heart grow fonder, and now "Gilligan's" old viewership, plus a whole new generation of fans, eat up the DVDs of this show whenever/wherever.

The Brady Bunch? Got boring fast.

robycop3
All State

Post by robycop3 »

Fans of these shows, better rev up yer Tivos or VCRs to catch these finales:

ONE TREE HILL(Wed. May 3) Oops! Too late! But I doubt if anyone cares.

SEVENTH HEAVEN(Monday, May 8) MAY be back on the WC net this Fall; nothing set in stone yet.

WEST WING (Sunday, May 14) series finale

BOSTON LEGAL( Season finale) will MOST LIKELY be renewed; nothing certain yet

CHARMED(Sunday, May 21) series finale

The new WC releases its Fall lineup May 18, but I doubt if too many readers here give a hoot. But just in case you do.....

robycop3
All State

Post by robycop3 »

Bad News...

It appears "Commander-In-Chief" bought the farm.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Misteroby, i believe one tree hill on the 3rd was just the season finale and will be back

robycop3
All State

Post by robycop3 »

Tartanblue wrote:Misteroby, i believe one tree hill on the 3rd was just the season finale and will be back

Guess we'll know about ALL the WB/UPN shows on May 18 when the WC releases its Fall lineup.

As for VH1 & some of those other dorky network-ettes, don't know & don't care.(They're mostly reality trash which I won't watch.) However, if anyone wants info on them, I WILL try to find it.

robycop3
All State

Post by robycop3 »

Love, Inc., Eve, Cuts, & the Bedford Diaries, all duds, ran their courses & have (thankfully) ended, as has West Wing. While WW was canceled, it was allowed to end gracefully, with the end of Bartlet's 2-term presidency. Now while the others weren't officially canceled, it's a sure bet that none will be back except as possible summer fill-ins for some other show canceled in mid-season.

This week is Announcement Week for the nets' Fall line-ups, and there will be more shows get the green weenie. I shall post'em here as I learn of them, unless someone else does so first.

In the meantime, expect the usual summer of reruns and reality trash. Thank goodness for SPORTS!

robycop3
All State

Post by robycop3 »

This just in!

The Futon Critic has announced that Hope & Faith, Freddie, & Invasion have all gotten pink slips, but will be allowed to finish out the season.

The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

I wish they would get rid of the reality shows.
Most of them are terrible!

robycop3
All State

Post by robycop3 »

TheInstructor wrote:I wish they would get rid of the reality shows.
Most of them are terrible!

I agree 300%, Instructor!!!

robycop3
All State

Post by robycop3 »

Seems "Sons & Daughters" was shown the door by ABC a little while ago.

"Fear Factor" & "Conviction" are missing from NBC's just-announced Fall lineup. Maybe we're ridda another goofy reality show! But "Conviction" isn't too bad. I think it might be a vic of over-exposure of Dick Wolf shows. Three "Law & Order"s is enuff on one network. I'll letcha know of any new developments if someone else doesn't.

Return to “The Off season”