Dear Old Ironton High School

General Chat
The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Dear Old Ironton High School

Post by The Instructor »

I drove by it last night and it made me sick to see it torn apart.

I thought the whole front was going to be saved.

They have torn most of the front down except for the middle of it.

Will the rest of the front be rebuilt around the middle part so it looks like it used to look?

Also, my brother told me that the front of the building won't be the front in the new building.

He said the Heplar Street side will be the new front entrance.

Is this true?

If so, how in the world could the people in charge allow that to happen?

The front of the building on 7th Street should remain the main entrance.

I just can't believe the school board, superintendent and voters would allow this to happen.

I thought that was the point in keeping the front of the building.

I am just sick about the whole thing.

Baby Duck
Freshman Team

Post by Baby Duck »

I agree I think the front of the school should be on 7th street.

SEOP
Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

From my understanding of the blue prints, the front will indeed be on Heplar Street and the front will not be used, it will be just for show, if it is saved.

As for it being torn down, I don't have any ill feelings. To me, the memories are in my head and heart, not in a building.

Doing the right thing is rarely easy.
The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

I think that is terrible.

If the front is going to be saved, then it should be the main entrance.

If it is there just for looks, what is the point in saving it?

I can't believe the people in charge of this project would go ahead with the main entrance being on Heplar Street.

Heplar Street!

This is nuts!!

itownpaw
All Conference

Post by itownpaw »

Out of all the plans I have seen, the front has always been on Heplar. If you look at the plans on tigertown it will show the layout of the new school.

henrysteele
JV Team

Post by henrysteele »

Instructor:

One of my neighbors graduated from IHS and now teaches in another district. Like you, she cried when she saw the building nearly torn down. I told her to save those tears for when she gets a look at the structure built to replace "Dear Old Ironton High".

:cry:

Rhiannon
All Conference

Post by Rhiannon »

henrysteele wrote:Instructor:

One of my neighbors graduated from IHS and now teaches in another district. Like you, she cried when she saw the building nearly torn down. I told her to save those tears for when she gets a look at the structure built to replace "Dear Old Ironton High".

I remember when the levy didn't pass. Some were so glad and others(the kids) were so disappointed. I told several people that if they could get important people in the community to say they were for the levy it would pass. One name I mentioned was Coach Lutz. I told several people if he said he was for it that it would pass. Well Coach Lutz did a TV commercial supporting the levy and guess what it passed. I am sure he was for it or he would not have done the commercial.

I am sure some are sad but this should be a happy time for the students of Ironton.

Rhiannon
All Conference

Post by Rhiannon »

Tobias wrote:Just to clarify...Heplar Street is where the busses are located in the picture, correct?

Correct

The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

I graduated from Ironton, live in Ironton but work at another district.

We have new buildings where I work and they are quite nice.

That still does not make me feel better about Ironton High School.

The front should be the 7th Street entrance.

If it isn't, then what is the point in keeping it?

Yes, it makes me sick to see it now.

I just think if the front isn't the main entrance, it is a disgrace to the memory of Ironton High School.

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

The Instructor wrote:

I graduated from Ironton, live in Ironton but work at another district.

We have new buildings where I work and they are quite nice.

That still does not make me feel better about Ironton High School. You need to protest!

The front should be the 7th Street entrance.

If it isn't, then what is the point in keeping it?

Yes, it makes me sick to see it now.

I just think if the front isn't the main entrance, it is a disgrace to the memory of Ironton High School.
Start a protest Instuctor! I'm sure there are others that feel like you do.Just dont chain yourself to anything :lol: lol

itownpaw
All Conference

Post by itownpaw »

But the front entrance wasn't used like it was when I was in school. When I was in high school, we all waited to get in the building using the front doors. Now, the jr high kids came in the doors that was for the old gym. The kids who drove came in the doors at the Conley Center and the bus kids came in using the Heplar Street doors. I am glad they are keeping the front entrance, but I really can't wait to see what this new school is going to offer the students.

The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

I don't give a rip!

I didn't enter through the front when I attended there either.

That isn't the point.

The front is where most visitors enter.

The front is on 7th Street!

It is a disgrace to the memory of Ironton High School and to the part of the building that is being saved to make the front on Heplar Street.

I don't like it one bit!! :twisted: :twisted:

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

The Instructor wrote:I don't give a rip!

That isn't the point.

It is a disgrace to the memory of Ironton High School and to the part of the building that is being saved to make the front on Heplar Street.

:shock: :shock:

The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

biggdowgg wrote:

That isn't the point.

;-) ;-)

itownpaw
All Conference

Post by itownpaw »

That isn't the point.

I respect your opinion. My memories go beyond walking in the front door. I will leave it at that.....
:lol:

Weis-guys
JV Team

Post by Weis-guys »

The reason for the entrance being changed to Heplar Street is for several reasons 1) being that the buses are normally parked on that side, and 2) for security reasons.

In the old high school had 22 different doorways that could be entered or exited at anytime of the day. There's no way you can monitor who comes in and out of the building.

The administrative offices (principal and ass't principal, main office, etc) will be the at the new main entrance...this way the school has a better way of knowing who comes in and out of the building.

The 7th Street side will be for show, but can still be used for things such as the grand march at prom.

ghostwriter
Varsity

Post by ghostwriter »

I believe the bottom line is....What is good for the kids....I'm an IHS grad and if its for the good of the kids and school system....The kids should have no-longer had to tolerate the conditions of the upkeep of Dear Old Ironton High....

I like everyone else....Will hate to see here go....But, nothing last for ever....

And, progress keeps moving....

Weis-guys
JV Team

Post by Weis-guys »

Also, they are going to demolish and rebuild the front steps...which was needed no matter what happend to that building.

The front steps are built on pillars and most of the pillars had eroded over time...it's a wonder that the steps had not fallen in at anytime.

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

The Instructor wrote:
biggdowgg wrote:

That isn't the point.

;-) ;-)
Didn't you see my reply above? Protest it somehow.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I'M ALL FOR THE NEW SCHOOL, THE OLD ONE WAS , WELL VERY OLD. BUT THE FACT IS , IT WAS NEVER MAINTAINED PROPERLY, OR IT WOULD STILL BE STANDING. LOOK AT THESE IVY LEAGUE SCHOOL BIULDINGS , SEVERAL HUNDRED YEARS OLD, BUT THEY WERE MAINTAINED. -------- BUT SINCE IT'S BEING TORN DOWN, HEAVEN KNOWS IT MUST BE SECURE AND SAFE, BUT WHY NOT HAVE THE TRADITIONAL ENTRANCE ON THE FRONT, AS INSTRUCTOR SAYS. THE IDEA WAS , AT LEAST WHAT I HEARD, WAS TO KEEP IT VERY NEARLY, LIKE THE OLD SCHOOL IN APPEARENCE. THIS WILL BE TOTYALLY DIFFERENT THAN I THOUGHT. :shock: :shock: :shock:

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS

Return to “The Off season”