visiting Chicago and going to Wrigley

General Chat
mvlnewlex
All Conference

visiting Chicago and going to Wrigley

Post by mvlnewlex »

My brothers father in law (lives in Northern Indiana) has got us hooked up with 4 tickets to see the Chicago Cubs play the Houston Astros in a day game on August the 6th. and he will pay for our hotel stay that night.

found this out earlier tonight

kind of a dream to go to Wrigley Field.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Re: visiting Chicago and going to Wrigley

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Have a great time.

mvlnewlex
All Conference

Post by mvlnewlex »

absolutely we will.

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

I took Mrs. Bama and the two Bama brats about 4 years ago to Chicago and Wrigley. The field, ivy, stands and inside the stadium are fine. We got to see the Cubs and Diamondbacks play each other with Curt Schilling pitching. It rained and we went underneath the stadium for awhile to look around and it stunk to high heaven. Enjoy Chicago, it will be a great trip. Wrigley is not one of my favorite places to watch a game.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

I did the same thing last April. I had to visit Chicago to take a test for my masters program. My wife went with me and we made a weekend of it. We stayed in the loop and took the L train to Wrigley. Soaked in some pregame outside the park, and enjoyed some Old Style cold ones and a hotdog. Also hit Pizzareia Unos for some deep dish.

You always hear horror stories about people being rude in big cities. My test was in the Southwest side of Chicago, I took a cab to get there and dropped 50 bucks. I asked the people at the test site if there was a train system nearby. They told me to go to the corner and catch a bus and then get off at such and such stop and get on the orange line which would take me back to the loop. I waited and the bus came. I bought a pass and sat down. It was me and another lady and the bus driver. She asked me where I was from when I got on the bus and we all struck up a conversation. The passenger said she was going to the orange line as well and told me to stick with her and she would get me to the train. These ladies were a treat, her I am hick man in a big city trying to figure out the transit system and they help me out. I love Chicago!

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

The people of Chicago were very nice to us as well. We rode the subway and the L and the people were great. Lots of great places to eat in downtown on the Magnificant Mile. I'm ready to go back but this time I think I'll take in a White Sox's game instead.

mvlnewlex
All Conference

Post by mvlnewlex »

Yeah. I have been in several big cities in my lifetime. But I think I truly got over my "big city anxiety" in Toronto, Canada back in 2006.

My ex g/f showed me around that city. we took the Subway down to watch the Toronto Blue Jays play the the New York Yankees at the Rogers Centre. went up the CN tower, went to the Zoo. etc. Had a blast. the people were friendly. And I didnt feel too far from home when I was eating Kentucky Fried Chicken.. LOL

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I hated Chicago but would love to visit the Cubs ballpark.

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

My son lives in the Chicago area, and I've been there many times. I frequently travel there via the Amtrak Cardinal train boarded in Ashland, KY, Maysville, KY, or Cincinnati, OH; and have used the local train system there to get downtown rather than driving in from his suburban home, but that's his choice. I hate baseball, so we don't go to games of any kind, but have driven by both Cubs and White Sox stadiums. Where we go is to the Museums and Parks. I also have found trains fun to ride and strike up conversations with fellow passengers, and Chicago in general a welcoming, friendly place. I use a cane and am a slow walker, but my experience has been consideration rather than impatience with my limitations. Of course, I've always been in the company of my son and his family, rather than by myself when navigating around downtown Chicago.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Do the riverboat architecture tour of Chicago. Best tour in the city!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

I would go to the ball park but stay away from down town. Only see the sunshine from about 11:30/12:30

Return to “The Off season”