4 day school weeks?

General Chat
biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

4 day school weeks?

Post by biggdowgg »

is it possible that some schools may cut back to 4 day weeks with the gas prices ?

they could add 1 hour to each school day to help make up the time.

"seems like I posted this last year when we was afraid gas was going to reach 300 a gallon"

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: 4 day school weeks?

Post by Orange and Brown »

I would be fine with that. On the other hand thats one more day of daycare to pay for.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

works for me if it means they don't have to cut jobs and athletics...

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

orange-n-brown 365 wrote:works for me if it means they don't have to cut jobs and athletics...

Good point!!!!!!
:aaaaa11

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

Bring it on, baby!!!
:aaaaa32 :aaaaa47

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

Are you going to skip Mondays or Fridays? There are several Federal Holidays which have been changed to a specific Monday rather than a specific date. Schools are already "losing" those days - why not skip all of them?
Friday is tradititional athletic night [both football and basketball], and doesn't OHSAA have some rules about a player attending school on the day of a game? But I have a feeling Friday would be the more popular choice.
My kids are long out of school, but a longer school day and fewer of them would have suited me fine.
As well as gasoline, wouldn't this also save on lunch costs and heating costs?
Another thought - wouldn't it be a built-in way to make up snow/calamity days without extending the school year?

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

I think having Monday off would be best.. everyone hates Mondays
and that way you can still have Football Friday Nights... Image

Runner
SEO

Post by Runner »

Longer days would not work very well here in Muskingum County.

For some of the high school kids that live way out in the country, they are getting on the bus between 5:30 and 6 am........The elementary student that live in the same areas are getting home between 5 and 5:30 pm as it now stands.

You would need to add on roughly 1.5 hours a day. Current class time is 7 hours a day for high schoolers and 6.5 for elementary kids. Longer days would make it nearly impossible for these kids. Especially the younger ones.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

last week the USA had a article about a school out west that will be going to 4 days next year.

someoverkill
JV Team

Post by someoverkill »

A 4 day school week would also help some junior and senior high school kids work longer at their jobs. They could pick up an extra 4-6 hours a week or more. Some college programs could offer teachers weekend grad classes, so more teachers could extend and further their education in an easier manner. The 4 day school week makes all kind of sense. I believe it would only require an extra 45 minutes per day.

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

someoverkill wrote:A 4 day school week would also help some junior and senior high school kids work longer at their jobs. They could pick up an extra 4-6 hours a week or more. Some college programs could offer teachers weekend grad classes, so more teachers could extend and further their education in an easier manner. The 4 day school week makes all kind of sense. I believe it would only require an extra 45 minutes per day.

That's how I see it too, someoverkill. You would only be dividing and adding actual instructional time of core classes, not extracurricular courses, lunches, etc. Who knows if it will ever happen, change comes about slow in Southern Ohio, but the price of gasoline may spur the thinking.

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

It would cost bus drivers a lot......20% of their pay which isn't good anyway.....try taking a 20% pay cut.............. :12224

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

Most busdrivers that I know are paid on a salary basis just like teachers, not by the hour. And just think of the overtime opportunities that could occur because many outside trips, field trips, etc. could be taken on the week day off instead of losing a classroom day.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

I really think its the only way to go and send the kids all at the same time saves $$$$ no extra bus trips one trip per route... the 3 day week-end would be great for those who work extra jobs to make ends meet (teachers included) I think its great I'd much rather see that than teachers losing jobs, aides etc. and I'd hate to see sports programs cut.. pay to play will be more of an reality to cover the costs of the busing..

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

thats right, bus drivers are paid salary, but they are not going to get paid the same for 4 days work as they were 5........school boards if they do this , are doing it to save money.... bus driver salaries would unfortunately be some of the first cut.... then cooks and custodians....... but thats the way in our society, the ones that are struggling get the shaft first....... God bless those hard workin' people.....And, I agree, pay to play is quickly coming our way......... :12224

someoverkill
JV Team

Post by someoverkill »

Im guessing that with Monday-Thursday schedule, many bus drivers could pick up work with grey hound companies. Such as weekend trips that they cannot do now. just a thought.

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

yea, there are so many of them around......... :12224

Winchell
JV Team

Post by Winchell »

This may not be entirely the case for all schools but I'm going to throw it out there anyway. Doesn't the state reimburse districts based on mileage?

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

I would much rather see a 4 day school week than have the schools place a bunch of levy's on the ballot, just to have the voted against then cutting bus routes.

I know if they cut bus routes here a lot of kids to include mine would have to be home schooled.

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

home skooling..... yee haw :!:

Return to “The Off season”