SHOULD CHEERLEADING BE CONSIDERED A SPORT

General Chat
Sprint_Girl
Waterboy

Re: SHOULD CHEERLEADING BE CONSIDERED A SPORT

Post by Sprint_Girl »

actually we have girls that play basketball, run track, and play volleyball.
oh SURPRISE!
and do you think you could tumble like a cheerleader?
I THINK NOT!
its not that easy.

WOW..yeah probably only one girl!!! haha
cheerleading is not a sport. sorry :lol:

U know?
Riding the Bench

Post by U know? »

I think that the South Gallia cheerleaders can tumble. All of them.(If I'm correct) not sure.

KnowIt2
Riding the Bench

Post by KnowIt2 »

U know? wrote:Na, that's okay. You can have it so it will shut your mouth and stop you from putting these ATHLETES down. S.G. also has girls that play basketball and volleyball and cheer and they're good at all of them. What can you say about that? Their are schools that do have cheerleaders that just stand there on the sidelines and yell go team go but S.G. definately isn't one of them. You guys would be so sore if you tryed to do anything that good cheerleading squads do. It would feel like a football player hitting you, you would probably even feel worse! So, know what your talking about before running your mouth about these athletes that work their butts off and are awesome!

yea...they play ball too, cause there are like 100 at S.G....and you are tell me that doing a 'toe touch' would feel like gettin hit by a 240 lb. linebacker?...i think not...

VBFAN#1
Riding the Bench

Post by VBFAN#1 »

Knowit2
Have you ever been to a basketball game with no cheerleaders, no band, no student section and have found the game exciting? Disrespecting cheerleading is disrespecting everyone who supports any athletic program. Lets call the waterboy or athletic trainer a name and say they have no relevance. Lets also kick off the guys who give a 100% everyday but never start a game and tell them that they cant yell and support their teammates.
Cheerleaders requires athleticism and dedication and deserves respect. If the OHSAA would recognize it as a sport and there was a legitimate conference championship then this argument would go away. Many girls do cheer and play other sports and succeed academically at a level higher than your top notch male athletes. How many of the top athletes in our area actually go to the next level in sports or in life v/s that of a cheerleader?

oldcoachb
JV Team

Post by oldcoachb »

Cheerleading gets a bad rap because most schools hire somebody's mother to be the advisor. This turns out to be a bad deal 99% of the time. If the girls get along at the start, they probably won't by season's end. It get's real petty and really old.

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

When they start having sectionals, districts, regionals and finals, then its a sport........... :12224

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

It is a sport if they compete against each other. When they just show up at games and do a few cheers it is not a sport. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

bobcat2008
Waterboy

Post by bobcat2008 »

I think cheerleading is more of a performing art than a sport.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

Orange and Brown wrote:It is a sport if they compete against each other. When they just show up at games and do a few cheers it is not a sport. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

OB YOU THE NAIL ON THE HEAD RIGHT THERE!!
LOGANS CHEERLEADER ARE BOUT AS FLAT AS THE FLOOR. IN BOTH FOOTBALL AND BASKETBALL :shock:

tigermama
Varsity

Post by tigermama »

They do have regionals and national competition.

OVCfan32
Freshman Team

Post by OVCfan32 »

nope nope. . .cheerleading is not a sport. . .a team must directly compete against another. . and that doesn't happen in any way shape or form. . . .BUT. . it is definitely an athletic event. . and should be considered a sport as far as monetarily and as a part of the major boys sporting events, they are important and add a lot of "atmosphere" we all know it would be different without them

but the same goes for say ice skating, or skateboarding, anything that has no competition of time or direct score. . but a display for judges, in that sense is not a sport. .

OVCfan32
Freshman Team

Post by OVCfan32 »

so simply
NO, its not a sport, and never ever ever will be

and on that same note shouldn't be thought any less of. . .

Dean
Freshman Team

Post by Dean »

According to the Wisconsin Supreme Court cheerleading is a sport. ( I believe for the first time ever .)

Super Fresh
Freshman Team

Post by Super Fresh »

OVCfan32 wrote:nope nope. . .cheerleading is not a sport. . .a team must directly compete against another. . and that doesn't happen in any way shape or form. . . .BUT. . it is definitely an athletic event. . and should be considered a sport as far as monetarily and as a part of the major boys sporting events, they are important and add a lot of "atmosphere" we all know it would be different without them

but the same goes for say ice skating, or skateboarding, anything that has no competition of time or direct score. . but a display for judges, in that sense is not a sport. .

I would agree Cheerleading is not a sport..... but if there is no competition it isnt a sport? What if you go golf by yourself, is that? You play the course?

jeepchopper
Riding the Bench

Post by jeepchopper »

No it shouldnt be because they reprsent the opposite of sportmanship. Cheerleaders were offically men to start with. Then the DALLAS COWBOYS put short skirts on them and made them into sex symbols, and thats whaty they represent today. Thats all. How do I know this because the uniforms get racier and racier each year, they put a ton of make up on looking like street girls. So dont tell me to keep my opinions to myself, I think my opinions are correct. They also do sexy dances for routines. Thats not school spirit thats saying hey anyone up there wanna jump me. How many times have you seen the news that girls get caught doping stupid things like mooniung people in their tights or shake their bust lines at poeple and when the get in trouble and the girls ask why thye did it they say, I dont know why we got in trouble we are just doing school spirit. Thats bull crap. These girls are out there to promote sex symbol status and thats all. So noi they are not athletes because they dont propmote their "sport" they promote their own bodies, and themselves in a lude manner

candystore
Varsity

Post by candystore »

Neutron Man wrote:ESPN cheerleading YES
local cheerleaders NO (except Greenup)

Local cheerleaders just don't do what you see on TV
its more clapping and timing. like a routine, a dance.

agreed, well said :lol:

NYHSvarsitycheer10
Waterboy

Post by NYHSvarsitycheer10 »

rhhscheer wrote:actually we have girls that play basketball, run track, and play volleyball.
oh SURPRISE!
and do you think you could tumble like a cheerleader?
I THINK NOT!
its not that easy.

I agree with you. I have cheered for 8 years but ive also played volleyball basketball and i run track to this day.

not everything about cheerleading is easy and i think unless you get out there and try it you will never know.

Sprint_girl-- It may not be a sport but we are athletes.

NYHSvarsitycheer10
Waterboy

jeepchopper wrote:No it shouldnt be because they reprsent the opposite of sportmanship. Cheerleaders were offically men to start with. Then the DALLAS COWBOYS put short skirts on them and made them into sex symbols, and thats whaty they represent today. Thats all. How do I know this because the uniforms get racier and racier each year, they put a ton of make up on looking like street girls. So dont tell me to keep my opinions to myself, I think my opinions are correct. They also do sexy dances for routines. Thats not school spirit thats saying hey anyone up there wanna jump me. How many times have you seen the news that girls get caught doping stupid things like mooniung people in their tights or shake their bust lines at poeple and when the get in trouble and the girls ask why thye did it they say, I dont know why we got in trouble we are just doing school spirit. Thats bull crap. These girls are out there to promote sex symbol status and thats all. So noi they are not athletes because they dont propmote their "sport" they promote their own bodies, and themselves in a lude manner

I cheer and im not a sex symbol i dont wear alot of makeup in fact barely any at all. my hair doesnt have to be perfect i dont shake my "busts" for anyone. Get your butt outside. try jumping really high. try being thrown in the air not knowing if someones going to catch you because sometimes that happens. try tumbling forward and backwards twisting your body in weird ways. id love to see it so dont say we are "ALL" sex symbols because were not oh and by the way. some school wear skirts to their ankles... Are they sex symbols too?

NYHSvarsitycheer10
Waterboy

abuck76 wrote:When they start having sectionals, districts, regionals and finals, then its a sport........... :12224

Some do. Competitive cheerleading... Regionals... Nationals...

For instance Wellston Cheerleaders went to State this year.

U know?
Riding the Bench

Post by U know? »

I agree it is a sport. How did Wellston do at state? I know they went to nationals in Williamsburg, Virginia two years in a row and got second to South Gallia. They were pretty tough.

Return to “The Off season”