Do you believe Toyota Prius owner?

General Chat
my2cents
S

Do you believe Toyota Prius owner?

Post by my2cents »

Toyota is questioning the Toyota Prius owner who said his accelerator stuck, taking him on a 30 minute joyride up to 94 MPH. I thought about this today, so I applied the gas with my right foot as far as it would go and then after hitting about 65mph, I applied the break with my left foot, and the car slowed down and would have stopped if I stayed on them. I am sure it would have been hard on the brakes and engine, but I could have stopped it long enough to take it out of gear. Why didn't he shut it off? or put it in neutral? Sound fishy to me, and the article in the link below makes it even more so. What do you think?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100315/ap_ ... away_prius

gametime
SE

Re: Do you believe Toyota Prius owner?

Post by gametime »

After some money :122249

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

Actually, on the early show this morning his attorny said HE IS NOT SUING TOYOTA

I listened to the tape, I don't think he was faking it, and I saw the video. I believe it happened, I think Toyota is covering something up.

my2cents
S

Post by my2cents »

The attached linked article said the module in the car showed that he had hit the gas and brake repeatedly. I think he could have slowed it down, shut it off or put it in neutral. I'll have to listen to the tape, it might not be money, but notority or just the thrill of being involved in a big news story.

vids4ckcrash
Varsity

Post by vids4ckcrash »

Can you say Balloon Boy? He is in search of fame or fortune! ;)

I have two Toyotas and according to Toyota, neither is in the speedup recall. A 2009 Camry Hybrid is in the floor mat recall. But I received prior notice of the floor mat problem and the prior notice had the part numbers for the correct floor mat.

But, I have told my wife and others that the proper thing is to just put it in neutral. DO NO turn the key off as you will probably lose all power to the braking and steering.

And with all of the publicity about this for the past few months, unless he was a hermit, he should have known to put it in neutral.

And no, I do not have absolute trust in Toyota. If they had promoted this problem and the easy quick remedy of neutral much years sooner, maybe some lives would not have been lost.

And I think most people have accidentally put their car in neutral while driving, at one time or the other. While reaching for something in the passenger seat or passenger floor, you can accidentally put the car in neutral. I have done it before. You know it immediately though, by the racing of the engine.

Philos_Finest
All Conference

Post by Philos_Finest »

Actually, you couldn't shift it out of gear nor could you shut the vehicle off as they are all electrically applied and the computer is what goes wrong with them.

vids4ckcrash
Varsity

Post by vids4ckcrash »

Philos_Finest wrote:Actually, you couldn't shift it out of gear nor could you shut the vehicle off as they are all electrically applied and the computer is what goes wrong with them.

As Judge Judy would say: "Liar, Liar, pants on fire" Promoting info like this is very counter productive.

Please cite your reference and I will humbly apologize.

I have a 09 Camry Hybrid (wth no key, but a push button) and a 08 Rav4. I have shifted to neutral with both with in motion. But I am not stupid enough to try to kill the ignition so I can't speak to that.

And all of the expert sites do tell you to shift to neutral. And for those who don't know how, here is a URL with pictures. (A video from Consumer Reports.)

And I would recommend that all who drive, view this video as YOU DO NOT PUMP THE BRAKES.

http://www.urbanreviewstl.com/?p=9588

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2010/mar/10/ex ... -run-away/
Last edited by vids4ckcrash on Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

Do you ever "ride" your brake pedal - keeping some degree of low-level pressure on it because you're driving in high traffic areas and might need to come to a sudden stop? I don't usually, but I have. I rarely drive [actively avoid] rush-hour, big-city traffic, where you are frequently required simultaneously to gain speed to keep up and yet still be able to stop short.
From what I hear and read, Toyota is claiming this man "wore out his brakes" by his own "poor" driving practices/habits, so it's his own fault if he couldn't get his car stopped when the gas pedal, or any other kind of Toyota built-in auto control system response failed?
NOT A CAR PROBLEM - He just should have been a better DRIVER to have avoided all this stuff??

vids4ckcrash
Varsity

Post by vids4ckcrash »

I have driven five speeds and automatics in the downtowns of Chicago, Philadelphia, Columbus, Cincinnati and Ironton and have never found it necessary or even very necessary to ride the brake.

Runner
SEO

Post by Runner »

Whether things happened the way the original story reads or not, I know Toyota is really under fire for other vehicles being recalled as well.

The Chevy Colbalt that were being recalled a couple of weeks ago were being done so because of a faulty Toyota power steering motor that is on the vehicles.

Philos_Finest
All Conference

Post by Philos_Finest »

vids4ckcrash wrote:
Philos_Finest wrote:Actually, you couldn't shift it out of gear nor could you shut the vehicle off as they are all electrically applied and the computer is what goes wrong with them.

As Judge Judy would say: "Liar, Liar, pants on fire" Promoting info like this is very counter productive.

Please cite your reference and I will humbly apologize.

I have a 09 Camry Hybrid (wth no key, but a push button) and a 08 Rav4. I have shifted to neutral with both with in motion. But I am not stupid enough to try to kill the ignition so I can't speak to that.

And all of the expert sites do tell you to shift to neutral. And for those who don't know how, here is a URL with pictures. (A video from Consumer Reports.)

And I would recommend that all who drive, view this video as YOU DO NOT PUMP THE BRAKES.

http://www.urbanreviewstl.com/?p=9588

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2010/mar/10/ex ... -run-away/

You very well can change gears in your Camry, I'm sure. But, lucky for you, your computer isn't going haywire while you are driving(transmissions in Prius's are electrically driven, not manually) , which disables the transmission to shift out of drive.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

partly believe it I think something happened he paniced and it snowballed from there.... I as a dumb woman driver knows to shift the car in neutral and my hubby says if that doesn't work do turn the switch but just enough to kill the motor and it will not lock the brakes or steering that occurs only when you turn it completely off...
Chevy Impala's have a power steering line recall now... I think mine already was replaced but I am sure the boys at the garage will fix her up if needed...

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

IF I remember correctly it was said on the early show that it was a push button start not ignition, I don't much about them I assume they are COMPUTERIZED and if the computer is haywire he probably coudn't shut it off.
Here is what I fount though:

Transmission
Electronically controlled continuously variable transmission (ECVT)
EV mode [3]
Eco and Power modes
Steering
Electric Power Steering (EPS); rack-and-pinion with electric power-assist
Ignition system
Electronic, with Toyota Direct Ignition (TDI)

http://www.toyota.com/prius-hybrid/specs.html

Der_Kommissar1968
JV Team

Post by Der_Kommissar1968 »

The jury is still out for me. On one hand, who knows anything about this guy, whether or not he's a liar. If he holds true to his word and doesn't file some sort of lawsuit over this, then I can't imagine what motivation he would have to fabricate this. On the other hand, I agree with what his lawyer said - just because Toyota's engineers couldn't recreate the event doesn't really prove anything. Whatmore, Toyota certainly would have a great deal to gain by discrediting this guy, even if it meant flat out lying - as though big corporations are trustworthy and their word is good as gold . . . right. I say it's a hung jury.

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

Der_Kommissar1968 wrote:The jury is still out for me. On one hand, who knows anything about this guy, whether or not he's a liar. If he holds true to his word and doesn't file some sort of lawsuit over this, then I can't imagine what motivation he would have to fabricate this. On the other hand, I agree with what his lawyer said - just because Toyota's engineers couldn't recreate the event doesn't really prove anything. Whatmore, Toyota certainly would have a great deal to gain by discrediting this guy, even if it meant flat out lying - as though big corporations are trustworthy and their word is good as gold . . . right. I say it's a hung jury.

my sentiments as well........good post

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

money

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

mstangmom wrote:IF I remember correctly it was said on the early show that it was a push button start not ignition, I don't much about them I assume they are COMPUTERIZED and if the computer is haywire he probably coudn't shut it off.

Transmission
EV mode [3]
Eco and Power modes
Steering
Ignition system

my bad on that I forgot Toyota had the brillant Idea to do those push buttons..so my hubby's idea just flew out the window...

Philos_Finest
All Conference

Post by Philos_Finest »

orange-n-brown 365 wrote:
mstangmom wrote:IF I remember correctly it was said on the early show that it was a push button start not ignition, I don't much about them I assume they are COMPUTERIZED and if the computer is haywire he probably coudn't shut it off.

Transmission
EV mode [3]
Eco and Power modes
Steering
Ignition system

my bad on that I forgot Toyota had the brillant Idea to do those push buttons..so my hubby's idea just flew out the window...

I'm part of a bunch of car forums and the consensus for everyone is to throw the "key" out the window as the car can only operate so far away from it because you can't not shut the vehicle off while it is in motion. Though, if the throwing the key may not work, it's about your only hope because the Prius will take 2 years to run out of gas. :lol:

vids4ckcrash
Varsity

Post by vids4ckcrash »

Philos_Finest wrote:I'm part of a bunch of car forums and the consensus for everyone is to throw the "key" out the window as the car can only operate so far away from it because you can't not shut the vehicle off while it is in motion. Though, if the throwing the key may not work, it's about your only hope because the Prius will take 2 years to run out of gas. :lol:

That's funny, I don't care who you are!

First off, the key would most likely be in a front pocket. Ever try to access a front pocket at a Mickey Dee's drive up, much less while in a high speed situation.

Second off, with most smart key systems, the key is only used to open the door, access the trunk or to start the car. It is not needed to keep the engine running. I don't think you would be able to open the fuel filler door as it is electrically operated and probably computer controlled. So yep, you can go until all fuel is exhausted. > 500 miles on the Camry.

All smart key systems are not alike, but most perform much the same way. With my Camry, I approach the door and when in very close proximity, the door unlocks. My friends Infinity, you must press a button to unlock the door. But with starting the car, his is much different as his car has more electronic features and each key is recognized. For instance, the key will cause the seats, mirrors and other items to return to a preset level for each key. So it checks for a smart key in the driver's seat first but will operate with a smart key only in the passenger seat.

I have driven with my SO in the passenger seat with her key in her purse and my key left at home. I let her out, while I went to a different store. The car alarmed that the key was not detected, but continued to run and I was able to drive several miles away BUT I did not turn the car off before I returned for her.

When reading forums, may I suggest that you peruse some more applicable ones such as:

alt.autos.toyota - this is usenet but it is not a binary group and can be very easily accessed. But I warn you, there are 10 to 1 off topic posts here.

More appropriate is : http://priuschat.com/
and here is a tinyurl for you in reference to throwing the fob out the window. http://tinyurl.com/yge43fm

And if you are interested in factual info about the Prius, I have searched and found User's guides for the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Prius here: http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyo ... 55094.aspx
and did find the 2010 user manual with very little searching.

Philos_Finest
All Conference

Post by Philos_Finest »

vids4ckcrash wrote:
Philos_Finest wrote:I'm part of a bunch of car forums and the consensus for everyone is to throw the "key" out the window as the car can only operate so far away from it because you can't not shut the vehicle off while it is in motion. Though, if the throwing the key may not work, it's about your only hope because the Prius will take 2 years to run out of gas. :lol:

That's funny, I don't care who you are!

First off, the key would most likely be in a front pocket. Ever try to access a front pocket at a Mickey Dee's drive up, much less while in a high speed situation.

Second off, with most smart key systems, the key is only used to open the door, access the trunk or to start the car. It is not needed to keep the engine running. I don't think you would be able to open the fuel filler door as it is electrically operated and probably computer controlled. So yep, you can go until all fuel is exhausted. > 500 miles on the Camry.

All smart key systems are not alike, but most perform much the same way. With my Camry, I approach the door and when in very close proximity, the door unlocks. My friends Infinity, you must press a button to unlock the door. But with starting the car, his is much different as his car has more electronic features and each key is recognized. For instance, the key will cause the seats, mirrors and other items to return to a preset level for each key. So it checks for a smart key in the driver's seat first but will operate with a smart key only in the passenger seat.

I have driven with my SO in the passenger seat with her key in her purse and my key left at home. I let her out, while I went to a different store. The car alarmed that the key was not detected, but continued to run and I was able to drive several miles away BUT I did not turn the car off before I returned for her.

When reading forums, may I suggest that you peruse some more applicable ones such as:

alt.autos.toyota - this is usenet but it is not a binary group and can be very easily accessed. But I warn you, there are 10 to 1 off topic posts here.

More appropriate is : http://priuschat.com/
and here is a tinyurl for you in reference to throwing the fob out the window. http://tinyurl.com/yge43fm

And if you are interested in factual info about the Prius, I have searched and found User's guides for the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Prius here: http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyo ... 55094.aspx
and did find the 2010 user manual with very little searching.

What is your problem? I'm not as deeply invested as you apparently think I am so no need to get personal & say "That's funny, I don't care who you are!" because, I don't care who you are either. Anyone can Google those Toyota forums, I'm actually take part in forums, Jeepforum & LS1Tech two of the biggest, most respected car forums on the net. That is why the consensus was to throw the key out of the window, do you really think Jeep or LSX Engine drivers would be driving a Prius? :lol:

I don't know why it is so hard for you to get in your front pockets but it's not to hard for me? That's to bad that the key trick won't work, have fun running your car into a guard rail for 500 miles until it stops, your best bet now would be to find a nice big creek or river & jump out of the SOB.

Return to “The Off season”