Law CO Sherriffs Dept now patroling WNF atv trails.

General Chat
Ump
Freshman Team

Law CO Sherriffs Dept now patroling WNF atv trails.

Post by Ump »

The Law CO Sherriffs Dept is now patroling WNF atv trails on 4 wheelers. We have been stopped two times in 2 weeks. We are all legal (all permits) and permits in plain sight. Still were stopped and names were written down. They said they remembered us. Why were we stopped again???? Just checking us out they said. Why isn't the forestry service doing this? The officers said they were getting overtime for doing it. Are there forestry personell laid off or something? You better be legal when you go out there. We were told (by the officers) "no warnings", tickets will be issued. Many guys I know are going to stop riding WNF becuase of all the harrasment. I just might join them. And where are the new trails and connector.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Re: Law CO Sherriffs Dept now patroling WNF atv trails.

Post by kantuckyII »

I don't ride or anything but I'm curious, what are they going to write tickets for? I mean, for doing what?

I remember when you could do about anything out there. When I was in high school, we used to go shoot our 22 rifles out there. it was cool because, it was before everything was grown back and you could shoot 100 or 200 yards across many places. Now, when the national government came in..they HATE guns, them boys will nail you for a felony if you're caught by them shooting out there

KVDW
SE

Post by KVDW »

i think we should all stop riding out there. that's ridiculous having to show your tags and stuff. :evil: :evil:
i think we should be able to ride for free out there anyway. :evil:
Last edited by KVDW on Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tiger Man
Varsity

Post by Tiger Man »

The Lawrence County Sheriff's Office has been patroling the ATV trails for the last 16 years or so. The S.O. has two 4-Wheelers and has a duty and obligation to ensure that the laws are followed so that someone does not suffer with a tragic accident.

The Strip mines are as safe now as I have ever seen them and this is due to the efforts of the Sheriff's Office and the Forrestry. You should be glad you have some protection out there.

The Sheriff's Office is paid by the Federal Forrestry to serve and protect on these trails so the Sheriff's budget is not effected by this "Overtime". Every rider is required to have a trail permit and every bike must have a state sticker therefore the deputies have to check to see if these laws are followed. You cannot drink and drive on an ATV or you can be charged with DUI. You must ride on designated trails. I can assure you that the S.O. write very few tickets out there.

Now having said that, If you feel that you have been unjustly stopped, call me, Sheriff Jeff Lawless at 740-532-3525 and explain your complaint and who the deputies are. I will investigate this and handle the deputies if they are wrong. The LCSO has a very good relationship with everyone that uses this area as well as the Hanging Rock ATV Club. Every day the strip mines have a large population of people as well as several campers every night because they feel safe to do so because of the efforts of the S.O.

I ride my personal bike there every week and have never heard anyone say anything bad about the S.O. In fact they thank me for providing this service to this area. That is why I would like to know what deputy you are talking about so that I can correct any problem.
Last edited by Tiger Man on Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KVDW
SE

Post by KVDW »

i think that fat, ugly one is the worst.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I'm still curious as to what he was talking about that they were going to write tickets for. Tigerman is correct, no doubt, the Strip Mines are much safer but..at one time, it was kinda like being in a no man's land..I had not been out there for years and years until a couple years ago when I took a drive. I couldn't believe paved roads! I was used to 12 lane gravel roads with mudholes big enough to swallow a VW in places.

I would love to know how many people were murdered at the Strip Mines? anyone?

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

KVDW wrote:i think that fat, ugly one is the worst.

We know that ain't Tigerman, he's one handsome lean mean poster boy

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I think when you register a 4 wheeler you register a name to it. And only that peson can ride that 4 wheeler on the trails. At least that was what I was told. Thats the reason I sold mine I was told I would have to buy a permit for everyone I doubled if I did, thats crazy

Tiger Man
Varsity

Post by Tiger Man »

I thought he was talking about me at first :122246

Tuckey: you were supposed to go to Isaac Walton with me and do some shooting but I think you are scared I will show you up :122245 Call me if this weather ever cools off.

Ozzie: As you know we don't make the laws and I do not agree with all the fees and yes, every person that rides on the trails has to have a permit :122246 :evil: It is fun to do if you can afford it.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

well, me personally, i cannot ride out there , because the john deere gator is too wide for the trails that are available. and i remember when the hanging rock strip mines were open to everything, shooting, 4 wheeling, fishing, camping. partying. etc. but it was dangerous as well. the last times i fished there i carried a sidearm, because someone pulled one on me out there one time when i was fishing, but that was many years ago. i personally think , if you are not doing anything wrong , you have nothing to worry about. i personally see this as a positive, and have been there many times , that i was nervous , and would have appreciated any police presence there. so i say enjoy it, be glad you are being kept safe, and good for the efforts of the sherriffs office. i lost one of my best friends out there right outta high school, because he was drinking , and 4 wheeling. so i say kudos to the lawrence county sheriffs dept. for making it safe for families to enjoy.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

You'll know Tiger Man if you see him, he has a special Uniform and Four Wheeler..
His uniform when he's off work and out riding looks something like this Image but not so plain

toast
All State

Post by toast »

You should be happy for the police presence. It's good to see they're being pro-active rather than responding to major problems. Or maybe there have been complaints and problems?

I know in our area there have been numerous problems with 4 wheelers trespassing on peoples land. Not only do they trespass but they cut fences, destroying crops, litter, hunt without permission, etc... It really is a problem that is completely out of hand.

Tiger Man
Varsity

Post by Tiger Man »

Tuckey, my outfit looks just as good after the ride as well :122245 :122245

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Tiger Man

if you have any trouble out in the woods, you can throw them lil red basketballs at em and make a get away :mrgreen:

to many crazy things happening these days, I think its good to have protection back there

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

I thought that Tiger Man was way too nice a guy to look that much like Hitler. :122246 :lol:

I, for one, HIGHLY support them being in such places. They can check me 5 times a day if they like. I feel comfortable knowing they're that nearby.

Good job, Tiger Man. :-D

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

BigOrangeOne wrote:I thought that Tiger Man was way too nice a guy to look that much like Hitler. :122246 :lol:

I, for one, HIGHLY support them being in such places. They can check me 5 times a day if they like. I feel comfortable knowing they're that nearby.

you just enjoy being patted down. :mrgreen:

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

....clothes don't make the man and this guy, just because he has a very similar outfit on as what Tiger Man likes to ride in....isn't nearly as handsome as Tigerman..

Tiger Man
Varsity

Post by Tiger Man »

Dowgg: I still have two of those, I like to throw them when I get mad :122246. See me at the I - P football game, I bought some footballs to pass out. A little Orange & Black would look good at your house.

BOO: There should be more people like you around this area :shock: :122245 :mrgreen:

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

What goes on at the strip mines stays at the Strip Mines?

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

biggdowgg wrote:
BigOrangeOne wrote:I thought that Tiger Man was way too nice a guy to look that much like Hitler. :122246 :lol:

you just enjoy being patted down. :mrgreen:

Return to “The Off season”